Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head Series: Asian

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
A generic head I'm working on for a series of "create a player" style heads. designed to be swappable with different hairstyles and colours. Let me know what you think sofar! Although, there's probably not much to comment on at this point.

Also if anyone knows of any good eyeball modeling/shader tutorials, im all ears.

simonhopefully2.jpg

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg seam-gina on his neck.

topology seems good. Are you going to sculpt him?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    flat ears are so flat.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks good so far. nice topology
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for your feedback.

conte: now that you mention it, the ears are looking quite flat yes. Something i'll have to fix.

ruz: I am a big fan of your work, so anything positive from you is encouraging!

Fixed up the skin to include some scattering, added a subtle normal map. Hope you guys like it, and critiques of course! thanks.

simon3.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Panga! Looking good.
    Make sure you test that guy under different lighting conditions too. I noticed that photosourced assets like that can look odd as soon as you start rotating the lights around.
    Also you could try to gently paintover some areas to make him less 'photo' maybe?

Eyes will be important to get right too (dynamic, juicy highlights)
    You might want to carve in the iris too. The deeper the black spot the better.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pior, thanks for the advice. I just want to run something by you - and everyone else here - and see what you think. Before I say anything else, I am not a good lighter.

This rendered pic here has some IBL going on. It also has a spot light cast on the character but it's only really obvious in the eye. If I were to remove the spotlight, the eye highlight disappears and the entire head goes a little darker. I also have a blue spotlight cast on the back of the character but there is no visual difference.

Could this be because the IBL is muting the other lights? And if so, is there a way to lower the brightness of the IBL? Should I even have other light sources besides image-based light? Should I even have image based light?

Looking forward to whatever suggestions anyone may have - lighting or otherwise =)