Home Technical Talk

Maya transparency rendering issues

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
hey guys, i've got some decals that i'm trying to render in a scene in maya. basically i've got cards that have transparent alpha setups going on.

everything looks fine in the viewport, but when i do a render in maya, I'm getting the transparent bits of the card showing up very subtlly.. as if they're mostly transparent but just slightly vissible. this shit also casts shaddows.

It's really fucking me, i gotta tell you.

anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Are you using the Maya renderer or a plugin program?

I am no pro at renders, but I do know that Maya is...well...a steaming PoS when it comes to dealing with transparency and sorting. This goes for viewport but I think it carries over to it's default renderer as well.

Not very helpful im afraid, but if you have access to another software package id recommend giving it a go in that instead.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    check your spec maps! that always gets me, on the alpha sections make sure no spec is on that area!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes indeed, it's the same in any renderer - you have to mask out any other maps you're using with the same opacity mask, since the specular level (or reflection, or whatever similar maps you're using) on those parts might still have some value, unless you already filled those areas completely black in your textures.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't you disable shadow cast/receive on a per object basis? Turning both off for the cards might help.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    also if you're raytracing shadows (and you want an alphad object to cast just the shadow of your alpha) go into material attributes>raytrace options and turn shadow attenuation to 0. that should remove any ghost shadows of polygons and leave the shadow from just the shape.

if that doesnt work try turning the attenuation to 1.. im pretty sure its 0 though :P
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    gah sorry for the late replies guys. I'm an asshole.

It's not a specular issue- the material has no spec. in fact, it's a goddamn lambert. the effect that i'm getting is making it look as if the transparent areas of my texture are actually not completely transparent... as if the value i have in the alpha there is like 10,10,10 or something.

it's bullshit.

I AM using raycast shadows.

Vig, I'll play with that and see if i can't figure something out.

Rooster- that sounds like it might jolly well work. I'm gonna give it a shot.
  • Harryscary276
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well one thing you can do in Maya is go into Light linking, this is one of those times when you want to make sure everything is named because of the list and how light linking works, basically find the card shape on the list and turn off the particular light for that particular shape, so the light will have no affect on it as if it is not there

as for the transparent map, cant offer anything that hasn't already been said

GL
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    roosters right sounds like shadow attenuation issue.
    I am no pro at renders, but I do know that Maya is...well...a steaming PoS when it comes to dealing with transparency and sorting. This goes for viewport

Mayas fine on qualified hardware. not gaming cards. cant drive a 911 nicely with cheap wheels.