Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another splashdamage env.art test.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
osman polycounter lvl 18
Ok crits/comments are welcome, but I may not apply them all due lack of time.
Some things to note:

-The walls have the same texture atm, I will change that somewhere along the line.
-Lighting not final, still figuring stuff out in unreal and trying to achieve something cool by playing around with the lights.
-current polycount at +- 7000
-some props textured really quick, so not as clean as I would like it, but I may change that later on
-suggestions about props to fill this scene with is appreciated , currently only a vague idea of what I'm going to add.

Now first thing I'd like to hear: which one is better?
14.png
15.png

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    This looks pretty neat I think.

A good idea might actually put a light on the door I think. I assume it is important in some way.. at least that is the only thing of interest here so might as well light it up and give it some attention. Unless the ropes count as interesting.

Also I believe you are missing a few key elements from the concept? Dock, water and windows?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, never thought of putting it above the door. Will try it out. And the dock and windows are coming. Still alot of add hehe. I'm working on the 'bridge' model atm.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i have to say, of all tests ive seen here, this looks the best so far

after seeing it so many times, i concluded that SD has decided to make the ugliest concept possible, and see who can show great design skill and creative liberty by improving it.

of course, you've left the ugly windows out. your palette is spot on but once those shapes r in i want to see you make them fit nicely ;) i think these shapes should lead u in creating ur props, to support the composition and not clutter it and/or make it worse.

the only thing id consider texture wise is adding some moss in the corner of the floor/wall. maybe a puddle in front of the door (to compliment the rope loops)
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks glad you like it so far :).

As fo the windows, I've been looking at some submaring/ship round windows to get some idea's, but couldnt find any great sources, so I'm kinda skipping it atm.

And yeah I was planning on adding the puddle using decals in unreal editor, but no idea(yet) how to do it, so that will come eventualy.

I'll post some earlier shots tomorrow, might be interesting to see how it changed between updates.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    This has a very nice feel to it and is very atmospheric.
    Keep this up! I'll definately keep an eye on it. :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    agree with shotgun, this does look nice, considered, and not too busy, spending time on getting nice peices rather than too many props. some barnacles and seaweed around the water line would be a nice touch if you have the time
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    A bit too dark, but I like it, good job.

I prefer the second, has more light! :) Post the texture sheets when you can as well! ;)

cheers.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    This is one of the better ones that I have seen from this Art test. I hope that you are planning to add some more objects and try to make them interesting not just boxes and barrels like everyone else, maybe like a damaged airplane motor or something. Keep it up!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Mop this size art test is perfect. It's nice to not see a company ask for 40-80 hours of work.

This test looks good too. I really like the wall. The specular on the vertical beams down below might need some lovin though.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Mop this size art test is perfect. It's nice to not see a company ask for 40-80 hours of work.

This test looks good too. I really like the wall. The specular on the vertical beams down below might need some lovin though.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, this is one of my fav. ones for this art test for sure. I really like the texturing, but I feel that wall could use something in the big open space, like a poster possibly. Also, making the circular glass on the door have a orange self-illum might be cool?
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    I like the color of your lighting in the first shot but prefer the effect the lights have in the second. It's a strong piece definitely.

Are you generating high poly meshes for your normals or using a filter/app?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    i think making an AO map would really help set things off and pop more. great texture work so far.

What happened to the dock? or did you decide to take it out? Cause if you did you need to add another major element to the scene. They gave you the concept and the poly count to see what you could make in those restrictions, if you decided to not make it they are going to wonder how you were using the rest of the polys and are you using them wisely.

Cool lighting. i'd like to see a wire frame
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nice stuff ... i always like your texturing, very sharp!

i would definitely add the windows from the concept, they can have a lot of nice detail (hinges, screws, rivets, glass bulb) and really make that wall less boring.

and yeah as some people mentioned the art test is kinda meant to help separate out those people who have a bit of imagination and some skills when it comes to interpreting a concept - keeping the size/layout the same but doing interesting things with additional props and quality texture work, and generally making the whole scene more cohesive.

it's worth noting that the actual concept art you would be given in production is much more detailed and in full colour :)
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, thanks for the kind words, makes me want to work harder on it lol.

I will try to post some flats and screenshot when I'm on my main pc.

MoP, the windows are coming, but I'm going to play around with the positions of it, perhaps only have 2 of them, both the same size, to see how that looks.

Jet_Pilot, the dock is coming, it's just that I'm still deciding what meterial it is, etc. I think i'm going to make it wooden and a bit damaged. In the concept it looks like it's floating, I'll try to go for some beams under it( perhaps reuse the current wooden beams mesh with some edits here and there).

HellMark, the door, rope,wood,light and metal thingy have high polygon versions baked from.
    The walls and floor done using the nvidia filter etc.

MLichy, I was thinking of adding something interesting to the door, but more in the way of some text, but I'll see what I can do.

Jeffro, yeah especialy for wet wood, it needs some work, but It's also unreals faulth:P, it kinda makes it flatter after lightmap bake.

Orgoth2, yeah my first goal is to make it look good withouth any special objects, If I manage to pull that off, I'll see how much room there is for something extra.

Can't wait for tomorrow, I'll be able to work more on it hehe.

Some old images with placeholder models, tomorrow new images ;) .
    2.png
    splash.png
    6.png
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree this is looking very nice already. Makes me want to go back and fix mine even more!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Great spec maps man!
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18

Ok I was working on seting up the lighting on the dock, but Unreal decided to crash :(.
    So I quickly tried to redo it, but had less time, so its meh currently.

Current tricount: 11.000, so enough room for some good looking windows and the 'bridge'(plus some extra's)

EDIT: lol after posting I realised I forgot to add some nails and worn edges on the wood.
    Also, here's the wireframe and a unlit view:
    20.png
    17.png
    16.png
    18.png
    19.png
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking nice, would be good to get some propper ends on those planks though ;-P
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    You mean the bottom? If so they are gonna be under water :).
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i mean the ends of the horizontal planks, could do with wood ends like you have on the tops of the vertical bits
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ah ok, yeah it indeed needs some work. I'll be adding that along with some more dirt/moss to the verticle ones.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ok tiny update, and some problems that I hoped someone could help me out with.

As you can see, the right window gets this weird shading on it. I tried different size lightmaps, and I changed the subdivision stuff aswell, nothing helped.

23.png

EDIT: nvm- wordpress is acting weird when uploading new images :S
    25.png
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great - I'm no expert on Unreal, but isn't there a setting to tell an object to shade itself per-vertex instead of using lightmaps? Might help the window.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plans for the bridge thing, never liked the one in the concept.

- reducing the curvature on the window would help, if you cant get past it technically, also making it transparent with a back plane would also
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    flush the lightmap info and try again
    if that does nothing then generate unique UV's for lightmap through unreal (these are bad, but have solved unexplicable things before for me...)
    then try vertex lit
    check your light influences
    place a few to eliminate the black splodges
    all else fails make it an unlit, fake lighting through material and bake in some lighting via texture... really not ideal though, considering how simple it should be (not knocking you, I know UE can be a pain)
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thank guys, will try some stuff out, and yeah unreal has almost made me cry the last couple of days lol.
    If it nothing works, I think Shepeiros idea is a good solution, and a good excuse to not make the windows as curved but more like a ships/submarines window.
    I'll have an update tomorrow..I hope. Thanks again.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ok decided to make the window flat, the problem was still there after altering the curvature :(, thanks for the help.

This is it so far: still needs a lot of cleaning up
    The inside part of the window needs alot of work, the material is kinda weird. I will also add some painted text or pattern on it, or perhaps a logo. I'm not sure yet.
    30.png
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Oh btw, I am now going to start working on that bridge thingy. Can anyone please tell me what the official name of that is ? :P. My english is kinda weak so It's hard to find some good images when searching the internet.
  • renderhjs
  • Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great so far ! I agree, I've seen a couple of other of these tests from Splash and yours is a really good one.

Can't really find anything to crit, it looks like you know what you're doing. Keep it up. I don't know if you're looking for a job over there, but good luck.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    I really like it. looks very peacefull for some reasons.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Renderhjs, thanks man, actualy, I didnt even know the dutch word for it lol.

Marcan, thank you for the compliments :). I actualy am looking for my first job, not particularly at SplashDamage, but it would be great if I did get a job there :). I wasn't planning on sending in, but I got some good responses, so I'm going to send it in and see how it goes :).

Michi.be, thanks man.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    flat panel for the window is way better imo the other oval design is ugly!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    It's definitely looking cool my only concern is the lighting. While it looks nice and all, it's pretty hard to make out what's going on with some of the textures. Part of the problem most likely lies in my monitor which doesn't show the darker values as well as other monitors, but IMO it would be better if the scene was more well lit.

Nice progress so far!
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I really need to take a look at it with some other monitor haha, you're not the first that thinks it's too dark. Will see what I can do :).
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda semi-off topic: I made a quick tutorial about how to fake radiosity in engines that doesnt have it built in. Most of you may already know this, but the ones who dont might find it useful. This technique is pretty usefull for quick prototyping and stuff.

http://gameartist.nl/2009/04/tutorial-faking-radiosity-in-unreal/
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    he he :D the one we just discussed

at least I am happy that you recently push more into the visual artistic side - keep it up looks good so far
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Will you be fleshing this out more? It's strong, but I think its impact would increase two-fold it if wasn't a cut-out of a scene floating in a void. Or at least, if it didn't look that way. It's impressive what you have, I just think environments are better presented when their entirely fleshed out from all 4 sides of a frame.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Looking really good! I agree with adam though.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, I do agree, but I really want to finish , send it in, and see how it goes. I kinda need to know where I am at, at getting a job in a studio.
    But I really enjoy working on this whenever I have time, so I might turn it into a complete scene some time.
    Thanks for the compliment.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ok guys, thanks for all the great comments and the helpful crits, I really appreciate it, thanks.
    I am calling this done, even tho not 100% finished with it. Main reason is, that I really dont have the time to really polish this, so I hope you still like it:
    Perhaps, some time in the future, I will really polish this, who knows.

34.png
    concept.jpg
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck! Looks good.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Top notch modeling and textures, my only complaint is its not very original.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the ropes lie very naturally.. nice work! i think its really atmospheric, although maybe some little things here and there to tell a story about what goes on there would be good.. maybe some playing cards, some empty whisky bottles etc. or blood stains- enough to make you go, 'what the hell do they recieve at these docks and what goes on behind that door?'
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with rooster, but well done anyways.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Great textures, great mood! good luck
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Love the texture work.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    looks great :thumbup:
  • il Duce Primo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    il Duce Primo polycounter lvl 15
    The cleats are a bit big. I don't think a cruise ship would be docking there. Would be nice to have maybe some boat bumpers or a tire might fit this style better. Looks really awsome, hope you put more work into this later.