Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP_Imogia

Hello.
Well BradMyers82 suggested me in my portfolio topic to create a new one in which I'd post WIPs.
So here it is, feel free to comment, suggest, help =)

Artworks comes from this site :
http://www.gorgonzola3000.com/

there's a bunch of very cool concept there.

Next, why I choose this model and what I'll try to do:

This model is quite close to nude anatomy, witch is a good start in my opinion for working on props.
There is skin and a little metal texture, so I will have to work on both of them.
I plan to keep under the 2000 polys, and with a 512² texture.
And I've never made a sexy babe so far, so it's the moment :p
Here's where I stopped modeling yesterday:

planch13.jpg

Replies

• Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how I have gone for today.
    After thinking about it, I guess that one set of 2 textures would be better. One for the nude, and one for the armor and objects.

planch14.jpg

The head still need alot of work in my opinion...
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Not bad man. My advice so far is to remember that drawing and concepting is far faster than modeling. You should draw up some orthos or something to get the proportions right first. I realize its a cartoon like character but from first glance some of the proportions are off. The arms for example are way short. Hands should always be around mid thigh. Keep going!
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

I've made the arms a bit longer, and rework a bit on the head.
    I was affraid that the arms will be too long so I didn't make them very much longer...

planch15.jpg

direct link:
    http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=151&u=12592859

I wonder, isn't the image too small?!
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rework the props an dmade some slight changes to the armor :

planch17.jpg
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there. I've started the texture of the nude!

• Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, its looking good so far, Its always good to see someone painting good textures.
    I have a few questions though, why paint in the nipples if they are going to be covered in armor. Unless you plan on having the armor come off then forget that question.

Secondly, are you going to have all of the armor on the same texture sheet as the skin? because as of right now the sheet seems to have a lot of empty space. As of right now it might be to late to change any of that, but just consider it next time your unwrapping your models.

One thing that I see that is way different from the concept art and your model is, your model has very large cheeks while the concept art has little to no cheeks. And while modeling arms, I always like to have the geometry twist to mimic the natural twists of the radius and ulna. Just food for thought.

Are you planing on sculpting this in zbrush/mudbox?

Keep it up its looking good so far.
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    Thanks for your help.

1- Nipples lol, I was sure that someone would say something about this. Well they will be of course recoverd by the armor. Ther is several reasons for witch I choose to paint them: first of all, the orinial concept had a kind of bra that is very tight and a part could have been painted directly on the body, but I was affraid to face unexpected matters of texture joints where the bra armor must be connected to the body.
    Then I thought about painting a bra on the body, but with such a breast, it would look bad, and flat if painted directly.
    Moreover, as I choose this concept for working on anatomy (especially training on textured anatomy), so I thought that nipples are a part of the anatomy.

2- No, the armor parts are in a second texture, as I consider this char like a double exercise: first anatomy (near to nude) and then armor with steel material.
    I also plan to use the extra space on the body texture for the weapons. But it's optionnal for now, so I didn't model nor unwrap them yet.

3- For the cheeks, thanks for telling your opinion! I already reduced the cheeks, but I couldn't tell by myself that they are still too small (I think the face would look flat), so I tend to not respect the original concept. I must still work on this, and on observations skills.
    For the arms, I went to your site for seeing by myself. Ok I get it, i'll try it in a next char I think, so I'll see how it is.

4- Unfortunately no, I don't plan to use CG sculpting at this point of my training. I think I'll train on some more chars and work on the diffuse texture a bit more before starting learning zbrush.
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'm getting struck while trying to paint metal texture. Man, it's quite hard. Tell me what do you think? what should I add/remove? what should I work on more?

In fullview, the texture is the real size I'm working with: 1024²

sunque11.jpg
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    I've come to someting that might look like a final version.
    I guess I'll stop working on it for now ^^ This lady kept me very busy these days and I'd like to do something else!

Sunquest_Elf_final__by_imogia.jpg
  • Imogia
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In both models I feel as though the faces are to long looking at the concept art and the models it looks like the faces are stretched. If you fix that I think it will make a big difference.

The second girl looks good it seems as though you've improved in the body proportions and keeping the the feminine curves.

keep at it. :)
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In both models, the characters look like they're leaning back. The head and feet should line up to look balanced.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, first off, you certainly have some pretty good painting skills, but you need to slow down a bit if you want to get really good at these.
    Look, even though its a cartoon character you still need to use decent proportions. I think if anything you should exaggerate the proportions when doing a cartoony character not flatten them out.
    It seems that you aren't really taking my advice from earlier, so I figured I would just show you how much easier modeling will be for you if you just make some decent drawings ahead of time to get the proportions right. This isn't the greatest paintover in the world but I think it should illustrate my point.

ImogiaPaintover.gif

These concepts you are using are not really my style, and I believe you should be making realistic characters first and then move onto a stylized approach if you want. But if you plan to continue to use these sort of concepts, you really must do some 2d art/orthographics before you move onto the 3d. I see a lot of potential in your work which is why I am taking the time to do this. Keep working hard, but take your time, please.
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much to you all for you very helpful advices that helps me alot seeing what's wrong.
    I did some props rework on the last character but I can't post it right now (not at home).
    I was also a bit in a hurry, so that's why I think I made the same mistakes from before.
    Well i'll post the version I've reworked in a few days.
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also reworked the elf character.
    But I've also realized while modeling these two chars that I effectively lacks in anatomy knowledge, and drawing too.
    I'll try to draw again (it's been a time that I've stopped drawing erf) and particurlarly anatomic stuff.

direct link:

http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/12/59/28/59/page_r11.jpg

Brad-> I guess you are totally right, I think the next char I'll start here will be a realistic human model. So i'll work anatomy for anatomy.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good changes, nice work overall
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey looking better man, the elf still needs some work (mainly a bigger head) but I think you certainly learned a lot anatomy wise; and that's the important thing.
    Looking forward to the next one.
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello people, long time no see!

I was quite busy working on a lot of (different) things.

Here's my last character :)

c2ee51dea3c42238e2a5579b22748cbf.jpg

Stelligrid_Dual_Screen_final_by_imogia.jpg

And I made this inorder to be able to work more on this:

http://imogia.deviantart.com/art/Stelligrid-Dialog-boxes-script-128976290

Stelligrid-Dual-Screen-final-129143208
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all!

I just finished a new work, so I postit before going to bed (I'm exhausted :p).
    Please tell me your impressions!

Telescope_by_imogia.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looking pretty cool man, but you forgot the most important part, painting in your lighting!
    You don't have any real broad shadows or highlights, and when your going straight diffuse like this its really important to get at least some Ambient Occlusion going.
    You are indeed showing improvement, but tbh, you should really take advantage of the crits you can get from polycount. Post stuff before you are calling it done, so you can refine and improve it.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey :)
    Great comments Brad :)
    As far as characters go, i believe you shouldnt use dodge/burn that often if at all. Use the dropper tool and use the colour wheel and pick different fun colours while brightening and darkening it.
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. I never use dodge/burn. I tried to do some radiosity effects with black gradient on a separate layer with an "overlay" blending mode.

I suck at 3D lighting (and maybe this comes from the fact I've worked a lot under the very low poly constraints where lighting is only self illu), I'm not used to occlusion stuff.
    As I use overlapping UVs for tiling and freeing texture space, is it possible to bake an occlusion texture? I've heard of something called "render to texture" but i never look into it. Maybe should I?
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    I'm working on a character as a test for a job. So it would be nice if I could have advices and critiques...

I have a constraint of 1500/2000 tris, and I'm already at 1 988. I'm thinking of makinf this version the final one, after a few minor changes.

Thanks, thanks, thanks in advance.
    I_need_your_help_by_imogia.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool reminds me of the dad from little mermaid