Home General Discussion

Your helpful movie morality thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
There's something that's been bugging me lately about movies, and that is that the same themes seem to get repeated over and over... and in my opinion, these themes are quite stupid. When ever they come up, I cringe, and lately I'm starting to feel angry, because I'm wondering if I'm the only person in the theater who is cringing.

SO. I'd like to blow off some steam by offering a friendly public service! Lets look at this nonsense, hmm?

Also -- Do discuss any movie themes that you like or hate in this thread

1. If I kill the bad guy, I'm just as bad as he is, or I'm bound in some identity. "I knew it Doug.. you ARE a killer."

Okay, this is just plain fucking stupid. This was in
The Dark Knight and Wolverine, as well as others
. For the love of god. We create these hero characters, and we square them off against stone cold psychopaths, and expect them not to kill anyone. Folks: Morality does not come from a set of rules. It's not black and white. There's nothing inherently wrong with killing someone. If you're saving 300 saints by killing one hitler, you fucking kill him. That's not morally wrong.

ALSO. We're all psychopaths. This story about having to transcend the dark side of yourself is absolute simplistic nonsense. You've got to integrate it. We've all got an aggressive, egocentric dick inside of us. it's useful, if you can organize it around a higher self.

2. The government/some manipulating body is in total control

We meant for you to feel that way. it was fake all along. We told that guy to kill your dad, so that he would go to the cops, and then your dad would yaddy yaddy yaddy blah blah blah

I dont know if it's because of the current political situations, with ecconomic hitmen and asshole presidents, or advertising, or what ever, but we, as a species, seem to be trying to digest this idea that there is some higher watchman who is manipulating us. This is a fear-based fantasy and I'm SICK of seeing it. not only is it just boring, and meaninglessly painful, but there's never a solution offered. nobody ever beats the system; the poor fellow just gets fucked.

Both of these themes have something in common-- they represent a writer who is struggling to deal with a pradox he can't reconcile... and is basically shitting on us.

Am I alone? I know this has been pissing off SOMEONE else out there.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    1. I disagree about this one. Killing is not inherently evil, however, there are certain moral rules about when you can kill someone. You can kill someone: A. to save your own life when your life is being puposefully threatened by the person you are going to kill. B. to save someone else's life whose life is being purposefully threatened by the person you're going to kill, unless that person is killing within the rules that I am currently stating. C. You can kill to protect yourself/others from malicious permanent harm to your body/psyche such as someone cutting off your arms or raping you/others. D. Two people or more who want to kill each other without being forced into it can do so without being immoral. E. You can kill someone who has given you reason to believe that you are going to be killed by said person regardless of whether he was actually going to do it. ex. pointing a gun loaded with blanks at your head. F. You cannot kill someone when you can prevent their actions non-lethally, however, if resorting to non-lethal means greatly diminishes your ability to protect yourself or others, you can kill them. G. You can kill someone if for some reason they want you to kill them, although you certainly don't have to.

I'm pretty sure I just covered what my ethical standards are... although I might have missed something.

To conclude, yes, batman killing the joker after the joker lost and had given up would have been immoral. Wolverine is somewhat more ambiguous as stryker was currently attempting to kill her, however she had the option to use non-lethal means and did, and was thereby correct.

for #2. It's a popular plot device. Doesnt bother me.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Well, this is a bit of a sticky subject. The nature and definition of morality is always going to be hotly contested. My personal definition of morality is largely dictated by my belief in God. As such, I believe morality to be an absolute, not dependent on individual perspective. But that has very little to do with movie morality.

3. The underdog is always right.
    This annoys me to no end. A lot of movies portray the underdog as lovable and ultimately victorious. They convince the audience to root for them, no matter what their flaws. And the "other" side is always portrayed as malicious, spiteful, and strict.

But how often does this happen in real life? Normally the kind of people who constantly resist authority don't turn out well. And they usually aren't charismatic or lovable. You show us a rich team vs. a poor team, and the rich team is automatically the villains.
  • [Deleted User]
    I completely disagree with both, I think your objection to the first is based in your personal worldview rather than any absolute truth (and ironically your own view was represented in TDK, which you name as being a movie "guilty" of this) and the second has been the theme of dystopian settings since forever, you could just as easily object to any other genre convention
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    So, don't go to the movies that encourage this?...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when you chew the same piece of gum it looses its flavor? huh...

There are so many other movies to watch and so many stories to read you can have any flavor of candy you want but why get pissed because you keep going back for sour lemons?

If your taste has changed don't eat the same crap...

Since you like to torture yourself, its really going to depress you that there are only 7 stories and they just get retold over and over.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Basic-Plots-Tell-Stories/dp/0826452094"] http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Basic-Plots-Tell-Stories/dp/0826452094[/ame]
    If you change them up enough they never really get old or cliche.

Are you the guy that goes to a magic show figures out the trick stands up and storms out, or sits there and continues to be entertained?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Ya, basically you are watching the wrong movies for the wrong reasons... how can you go to the local blockbuster theater and demand movies that are not tailed to mass appeal? Its akin in my mind to arriving at Mcdonalds and getting pissed off that they wont do table service. Its a fast fuck, if you want that, its great, otherwise rent some Kurosawa, some Herzog or some director that deals with more complex and interesting situations.

Applying high standards to Wolverine? really? hahah thats why you rock.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, great replies.. thanks guys

Kub -- cooommmoonn you know as well as I do that you can't always second guess a movie's themes before you see it... although I also try not to watch trailers, as they ruin the film. Even so, It upsets me that we're still dealing with these morals as a culture. weather i go see these movies or not, I'm still concerned by our culture's moral center. Doesn't rampant materialism and racism bother you? that's is just a deeper extent of moral simplicity.

Aesir -- I think you and I are in agreement here. the point is, there's a grey area where killing is okay, if you're personally harmed. it's worth pointing out that defending a loved one is probably seen as okay, and your sense of love can expand to humanity as a whole... but lets not get into that. Point being, a character like the joker is unrealistically (rediculously) able to set things up to kill important people, and has no desire to stop. Batman not killing the joker makes batman a sociopath in this case, I'd argue. In wolverene's case, it just makes him stupid.
    there's a guy who's kidnapping kids, who clearly wants to kill mutants, and has apparently just built a 'weapon' that is stronger than YOU (who are apparently invincible, so watch out)... and he's probably going to use it to kill more mutants and kidnap more kids. he also has followed you across the world and clearly has had intent to hurt you. kill him and cut off the head of that thing-on-the-table. problem solved, AND moral justification!

Ricahrd -- DUDE. tell me about it. That one drives me crazy too. there's a lot of those 'magical' themes out there... where some character type is just rewarded somehow for being that character type.. like the girl eventually sees that he's great and falls in love with him, or what ever else. Total fantasy, with no basis in reality what so ever.

Kaskad -- While TDK gets at the idea of needing a badish guy, batman doesn't actually legitimately become that character. there is no real personal change, it's just a superficial concept. he doesn't actually DO anything "bad" in this case. he just gets shit pinned on him. This is a joke of a solution to this moral conundrum -- and it doesn't actually deal with the concept that's causing the conundrum in the first place -- the idea of "bad" is arbitrary and based on someone's worldview. Batman fails to transcend that b.s of "badness" in a conformist sense.

I had a big rant here agreeing with you that morality is realitive and adding that there IS a higher inherent moral truth (that includes relitivity) but I wont get into it. Lets just say -- Yes, there is a higher moral truth, and if someone wants to argue it with me, i'll get into it with them. this post was too bloody long
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA Vig and Microneezia -- you're of course absolutely right. funny, too. Vig, I didn't know about that book, that sounds great. I know about the Heroes Journey, but i dontk now about the others. I do realize that a lot of the stories told now-a-days are formulaic of course... and I'm certainly not that magic show guy. I don't care that things are formulaic, what i care about is weither or not the stuff we're showing ourselves is healthy. I mean seriously.. It's one thing to fast food, it's another thing to eat at McDonalds. If the magic show that I was watching had as it's theme "we're all fucked, life is shit, and you should all kill yourselves" then yes, I'd probably walk out (okay, i know that's an extreme example)

The thing is, I care about our culture. These are the mainstream films, because this is where most people are. I'm worried about that fact.

how exactly are we supposed to deal, as a culture, with complex international issues, when we can't make simple moral distinctions?? i know there are better movies out there, but most people watch batman! and these people vote!

they vote! for christ's sake! they vote!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    S

Since you like to torture yourself, its really going to depress you that there are only 7 stories and they just get retold over and over. http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Basic-Plots-Tell-Stories/dp/0826452094

Oh please, that's ridiculous. If you want to truly be pedantic beyond all logical means of discussion, there is only ONE story ([he] lives, [he] dies, the end); if you aren't a douchebag, it's pretty easy to see that there are a million ways to tell unique angles and elements of that story. And is a story even the same story anymore if you change the major characters? It's defeatism at its silliest to say there are only a handful of writable stories.

And that book you linked is a shameless regurgitation of Joseph Campbell's THe Hero With a Thousand Faces by the looks of it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    watch more movies from the 80's, it's always OK to kill the badguy
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Give people a little more credit maybe... When does watching an action film translate to government policy creation? People can watch the film and then decide to vote against a politician who has the same moral code as batman, dont you think?

thinking that people go to the movies then head off straight to the voting booth without any more thought is you literally believing the "government out to get us" plot line you hate so much, isnt it? That fear is straight out of 1984!

haha, i think people have more brains they you give them credit for. People are so busy making super hard decisions everyday about their lives, especially now, that a simple predictable plot appeals to the masses even more.

IMO one shouldnt carry the weight of an entire culture's moral beliefs, instead try to establish and solidify your own morals, and staying true to those, its work enough?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I gotta say I've seen loads of movies where the "hero" chases the badguy that did him wrong when he was younger, and chasing him down to exact justice is the hero's life goal. But when the hero FINALLY catches the big bad, he struggles for a moment, then decides, killing him will be bad, and let's the cops handle it. It's total bullshit. If someone does something to another human being so horrendous, that that person spends years, sometimes decades going after that baddie, they are not gonna just suddenly have a change of heart, and give them to the cops.

I have a 13 year old niece, and we watch movie's and tv together a lot. Typically disney stuff, but sometimes other types of movies, horror, action whatever. But it's the disney shit that bugs me to no end. This whole deal they have about cramming the idea that a girl needs a boyfriend to matter at all right down the throats of young girls is complete bullshit. It's not like that for the guys as much, but the girls HAVE TO have a boyfriend. It's written in fuckin stone. Same with the "If there's a boy and a girl in a kids movie, they HAVE TO hook up". That kind of disney morality pisses me off like no other.

Normally I have no problem turning my brain off for certain movies. I'm fine with doing that, and just going along for the ride, and I'm definitely not one of those people who feels the need to sit in judgement of EVERY frame of a film. I can enjoy stupid flicks for being stupid. But those are a couple of things that drive me shit slinging mad in films.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Oh please, that's ridiculous. If you want to truly be pedantic beyond all logical means of discussion, there is only ONE story ([he] lives, [he] dies, the end); if you aren't a douchebag, it's pretty easy to see that there are a million ways to tell unique angles and elements of that story. And is a story even the same story anymore if you change the major characters? It's defeatism at its silliest to say there are only a handful of writable stories.
    You can boil a nearly unlimited number stories into 7 categories. That can either depress you and you think its all a sham or you can enjoy all the awesome entertainment that's out there, some of it is familiar some of it is pretty different but that doesn't mean you can't file it on a shelf.

The main point I was making was, whats the point of sticking to one vein of stories that are nearly identical to one another when there is so much more variety to choose from?

I love old B/W sci-fi movies but gorging myself on that one thing for long periods is only going to end in them collecting dust for a really long time.

Variety and balance.

The Hero With a Thousand Faces, covers Monomyth. He talks more about common path that heros take, not really categorizing the stories themselves. "hero leaves, gains something, fights something, goes home". Monomyth pretty much fits inside of any of the 7 stories but doesn't define them. The hero might pass through the same stages but that doesn't mean it has to be tragic every time.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, I care about our culture. These are the mainstream films, because this is where most people are. I'm worried about that fact.

how exactly are we supposed to deal, as a culture, with complex international issues, when we can't make simple moral distinctions?? i know there are better movies out there, but most people watch batman! and these people vote!

meh... all people get bored and go looking for something new. I think everyone has roughly the same threshold for garbage they just latch on to it at different times so it takes a large group of people longer to collectively move on to something new.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Well John; this has always been a central theme in Batman; so I dunno if that example is the best one. There is a load of complete moral wankery in the Dark Knight though, like Lucious Fox threatening to resign over that stupid stupid VR machine.

'OH NO, I CAN SEE THE VAGUE OUTLINE OF 30M PEOPLE!! BIG BROTHER MAAAAAAAN.'

And then that bullshit about not letting the public know what Harvey Dent became because 'they would lose hope'. What BS. I mean who the hell takes the wrap for 5 murders. They just realised they were 5 minutes from the end of the movie but hadn't made him into a pariah for the inevitable sequel. Batman Begins was great; Dark Knight left A LOT to be desired. Also Nolan should have created a different ending, especially seeing as Ledger died. The resulting dialogue wasn't that good, a few funny lines.

Sorry, I have a chip on my shoulder with that movie. I was really let down by it. Hopefully Nolan redeems himself with the final one (no Johny Depp Riddler please!!)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    OMG, the misanthropy in this thread....

Heroes kill at a whim...

No hope...

What a sad world...
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People can watch the film and then decide to vote against a politician who has the same moral code as batman, dont you think?

it is fucking ON buddy.

yes, it's true... to a certain extent. I'm not talking about flat out brain washing here though... Like, I dont think someone is going to watch a movie and then reference batman when they go to vote.. although I suppose even that is possible quite frankly.

what bugs me is that nobody else seems pissed off about this, so I expect that nobody else really GETS it.. and that scares me. I start to think -- if people aren't rejecting this like the bile that it is, it must be because most folks just.. don't think about things like this. they don't really comment on it, because.. "meh. never thought about it i guess. morality? i dunno. I'm a good person. I dont think it's right to kill people. I'm not really interested in philosophy.. yeah, wolverne.. if he killed that guy he'd be an animal himself.. cuz that's what animals do. he doesn't want to be an animal. cool."

Maybe it's personal. when I watch a movie, I am really watching for themes. perhaps other people are just lookin for face punching.

which..

sucks. and quite frankly it's no excuse. If you're going to make a face punching movie with no theme, FINE... I dont mind that.. but if you're putting a theme in there, please don't let it be stupid.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, its ON? ok then>

I will fight you with something you must totally despise... cliche!

"Ignorance is bliss"

just because they dont "get" it (if your suspicions are correct) doesnt make the world worse off. And so, it shouldnt scare you or effect you negatively. Even the most ignorant and lowly of people want the same things in life as everyone else, no matter what themes are in their movies. we all know the the common pillars that lead to a structured happiness, I think.

For further arguments sake I'd wager that you are worse off than these other "duped" humans. This is because you dwell on how cultural morale is possibly being shifted negatively, something you alone could most likely have no impact on. Also cultural moral is something that can easily have NO impact on your personal happiness. But you sit and brood, conjuring distrust in your fellow man because they are being fed "garbage" and dont know it... all while trying to help them with a skull full of worries. While other people, pick up this movie, watch some punchy punchy, then forget it and continue with their morals already instilled (if over the age of 25) most likely passed to them by parents, and family.

hahahaha - ranting is fun! im not sure i made sense, but i know you are wrong in some way! haha
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So only watch and support movies you morally agree with? As in actively try to suppress media that you find objectionable for the betterment of the stupid cattle masses? We should be pissed because every movie isn't Veggie Tales?

I'm up for watching and listening to other views and experiences, I think it is those things that make for a fair and balanced society. I think every option should be put in front of everyone and they should have enough unbiased info to make the proper choices on their own. I think our time and resources should be spent educating people to make the right choices instead of making the world a safe place for idiots to go about their blissful little lives totally unaware to the dangers all around them.

I think its the difference between having underage drinking problems because society as a whole has tried to suppress it, and living in a society where everyone is open about alcohol and its not nearly as cool to go out and get plastered 6 ways till Sunday.

Are people educated through the media they take in? Sure but not everything needs to be used as a tool to hammer morality home. Some entertainment... is just for entertainment.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    WWBD

What would Batman do?

Eh, it could happen.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can boil a nearly unlimited number stories into 7 categories. That can either depress you and you think its all a sham or you can enjoy all the awesome entertainment that's out there, some of it is familiar some of it is pretty different but that doesn't mean you can't file it on a shelf.

The main point I was making was, whats the point of sticking to one vein of stories that are nearly identical to one another when there is so much more variety to choose from?

I love old B/W sci-fi movies but gorging myself on that one thing for long periods is only going to end in them collecting dust for a really long time.

Variety and balance.

The Hero With a Thousand Faces, covers Monomyth. He talks more about common path that heros take, not really categorizing the stories themselves. "hero leaves, gains something, fights something, goes home". Monomyth pretty much fits inside of any of the 7 stories but doesn't define them. The hero might pass through the same stages but that doesn't mean it has to be tragic every time.

No, really, you have it backwards -- all seven of those stories fit INSIDE monomyth. It's seven parts, seven stories that fit together to form the monomyth. Worth reading instead of just reading about.

The point i was making is that you can boil every single story possible down into ONE story, so saying 7 is arbitrary. And the process of boiling takes away everything that makes the story the story, so there's not really any logical reason as a critic to get into it to begin with.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18

1. If I kill the bad guy, I'm just as bad as he is, or I'm bound in some identity. "I knew it Doug.. you ARE a killer."

Okay, this is just plain fucking stupid. This was in
    The Dark Knight and Wolverine, as well as others
    . For the love of god. We create these hero characters, and we square them off against stone cold psychopaths, and expect them not to kill anyone. Folks: Morality does not come from a set of rules. It's not black and white. There's nothing inherently wrong with killing someone. If you're saving 300 saints by killing one Hitler, you fucking kill him. That's not morally wrong.

ALSO. We're all psychopaths. This story about having to transcend the dark side of yourself is absolute simplistic nonsense. You've got to integrate it. We've all got an aggressive, egocentric dick inside of us. it's useful, if you can organize it around a higher self.
    I think in the case with batman, it wasn't a matter of morality, and whether or not batman should have killed him. of course if you have an opportunity to kill someone like Hitler, its easy to say you should kill that person. but in the movie i think they were making a point that even with someone as evil as the joker, its wasn't about is it right or wrong to kill. it was about having or not having, at a loss for a better term, the "courage" to actually take a life. it wasn't that he was necessarily against killing someone, but that he didn't have the resolve to go through with it. I know that many people would say that they would kill a Hitler or the joker to save x number of innocents, but when the time came to do the act, how many would really go through with it. I think that was what they were trying to get across in TDK. im not sure if what I'm trying to explain is really coming across clearly, perhaps I'm just overanalyzing things.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

mahatma-gandhi-indian-hero.jpg

mother-theresa.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe that's an interesting thread.

Regarding the fear/watched over thing : one of the first art and morale discussion I had when I arrived in the US (basically, should anyone/anything enforce regulations as to whether an art piece is offensive or not) somehow ended by my friend saying "oh but, if it's offensive, the government wouldn't allow it somehow". So yeah I think you are right on that point, there is something like that in the air here, a feeling that someone might decide for you in the end. I'm like you, I don't like that feeling at all, or rather, knowing that folks around me feel that way.

Also I think it depends what area you live in. In suburbs I feel like you are very likely to mainly have mainstream/blockbuster movies (let's drive to the movies!), as opposed to active cities where I think you can find some more indie offerings. But yeah I think there is a cultural problem here.

Also to bring it back on the original topic - can you name a few movies you thoroughly enjoyed recently ? I find that in many cases, amimation feature films have a much nicer story quality, because they are less likely to be plagued by the Hollywood checklist structure. Even indie documentaries can be a pleasant surprise (Ever watched King of Kong? Fantastic stuff. That kind of movies makes a more permanent mark on me than any IronMan for instance).

Also if you turn to foreign films you might find great things too. I would recommend C.R.A.Z.Y. , an extremely funny, moving and well put together movie from Quebec. Also check out Cashback, a UK short turned into a feature film. That's 2 of the most enjoyable films I have seen in the past 2 years. Along with Pans Labyrinth and The Fall, but you might know these two anyways. I recommend the other ones also because they don't rely on visual fantasy to still be fantastic stories.

Also about Batman and Wolverine : come on they are not exactly subtle movie material anyways haha. I personally can't stand famous superhero movies anymore. I guess I should check out DarkKnight for the Joker's portrayal, but besides that I feel like I wont enjoy it for anything else than the cool HD. Also guys, no need to over-analyze superhero movies huh. No matter how you turn it, it's always gonna be hollywood stuff, and you all know what that means.

Good luck on your search! Just don't follow the crowd when someone tells you "aaaaaw come on, it's gonna be fun, check your brain at the door!" to convince you to see a movie. If it smells like garbage, it might very well be garbage!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    No, really, you have it backwards -- all seven of those stories fit INSIDE monomyth. It's seven parts, seven stories that fit together to form the monomyth. Worth reading instead of just reading about.

The point i was making is that you can boil every single story possible down into ONE story, so saying 7 is arbitrary. And the process of boiling takes away everything that makes the story the story, so there's not really any logical reason as a critic to get into it to begin with.
    Yep I might have had it backwards. He wrote his book around monomyth trying to expand on it. He covers it pretty well and lays out a pretty logical case, its a pretty quick read if you haven't picked it up, might be worth it. I'll have to check out the book you linked to again, I started reading it a few years back and never could make it very far, it was in professor speak and bored me to tears. The way it was explained to me was a few key gates the hero passes through not really how he/she got there.

The way I heard about the monomyth and the 7 stories was more to be used as a rough template guide when getting started not really as a critiquing tool. Isn't a critics job to comment on the specifics? Seems kind of pointless to compare it distant cousins when there are brothers and sisters in the same room. Using it critique something would be like using the forms of a foundation to critique the hand carved banister that will be installed a year later.

Maybe boiling down is a bad term to use. Its not really stripping the story of its components but just putting it in a box with the others of the same type, inside that box is another box and so on, until you have each movie standing on its own.

I don't understand why movie buffs get tossed in a twitter when they proclaim something to be original and someone points out it isn't. It's still enjoyable and it doesn't need to be treated like its tainted and ruined.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno about you guys but I'm pretty sure the majority of my moral code came from cartoons and comics and what not...
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghandi was able to do what he did because of the era that he lived in.

if someone had layed down in front of nazi tanks, the nazis would have ran them the fuck over. ethnocentrism simply does not identify with people outside of it's group. Gandhi and mother Teressa's focus on cultivating the loving side of one's self is fantastic, but it's also just one side, and we've moved beyond that as a species. The difficulty comes when the Gandhi self fails; You're in Rwanda, there's a massacre going on, there's no reporters sharing your story with the "civilized" world and nobody local gives a shit about you. you just try and be loving there and see what happens.

Vig -- wellllllll I disagree. but okay: lets not repress any point of view. in fact, lets not make any value judgements at all.

lets take a story about a guy who's really really angry at his work. he works all day and needs to find an outlet. he meets a shy little girl and marries her. He beats the shit out of her every night, and that vents his anger. he lives happily ever after. Great story!

Or the men in India who kidnap young girls and circumsize them in the night so that they don't cheat on their husbands. Hey, that's just one reality, right? just cultural diversity. It should all be expressed!

or maybe, this "let everyone express what they want" is just another value judgment that you're making. the truth of the matter is, people ALWAYS make distinctions about what is right and what is wrong. moral relativism is just another value judgment.. one that values equality as the "one true law" -- you're really doing the same thing I am.

thus, i have no problem having a discussion where I make value judgments. Yes, i think these themes are stupid. I'm not going to stop you from watching them. I'm not going to try and lock you up in Auschwitz.... but god dammit, I'm not going to pretend anymore that i should just accept everything equally because that's bullshit. These themes are stupid and (single tear in my eye) thanks to rationality, we can actually evaluate them logically.

Edit:
    OOO. OO. Okay I see a problem here. I need to say something:

I am in no way supportive of censoring anyone. I am a big supporter of free speach. HOWEVER. I also believe in higher, more complete truth, and I think it's important to be vocal about what's stupid and what isn't. Take Richard Dawkins for example. he's made a decision about what he believes and he's expressing it. people can make up their own minds, but there's got to be room for someone to call out shit when they see it... because if we never make any value judgements, we'll never evolve as a species.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Edit: Warning perhaps off topic

Well I dont know what kind of bullshit(probably :)) u guys are babbling about but here is my answer to the thread title: 300, this kind of movie boosts my morality a bunch, it reminds me to fight for what I love, to do whatever I really want to do.

Wait you guys are talking about something else, i can see John Warner last words... (in his post)
    wait lol ''if someone had layed down in front of nazi tanks, the nazis would have ran them the fuck over.'' Haha do you really believe that? Where are you from john?

(Because I watch movies where people get killed, doesnt mean i go killing or getting myself killed) Ask yourself: do you? perhaps this is not what you are talking about either, il come back and read the thread later...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if your examples do not spark a rash of copy cat morally corrupt choices, but exposes them and that gets everyone talking about it and society as a whole takes a tougher stance? Is it then a good idea to tell people not to see it because its stupid?

I think instead of railing against movies you hate or find morally reprehensible, you should find ways to watch, promote, maybe even make movies you do agree with. I think you should talk out against movies you don't like but I'm not sure that will always give you the results you're looking for.

Talk up the things you like, don't spend too much energy on the things you don't. Not out of some "hey man we're all ok here ya know" philosophy but because its often way more productive.

The value judgment equal relativism in your post is vaguely reminiscent and hints at a derailing in progress.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way I heard about the monomyth and the 7 stories was more to be used as a rough template guide when getting started not really as a critiquing tool. Isn't a critics job to comment on the specifics? Seems kind of pointless to compare it distant cousins when there are brothers and sisters in the same room. Using it critique something would be like using the forms of a foundation to critique the hand carved banister that will be installed a year later.

Maybe boiling down is a bad term to use. Its not really stripping the story of its components but just putting it in a box with the others of the same type, inside that box is another box and so on, until you have each movie standing on its own.

I don't understand why movie buffs get tossed in a twitter when they proclaim something to be original and someone points out it isn't. It's still enjoyable and it doesn't need to be treated like its tainted and ruined.

Yeah, definitely, i think we agree 100% here. My point was that there's not really any sense in stripping down a story like this when it comes to critiquing -- that'd be like pointing out a painting is just a bunch of marks on a canvas. It's useful as a guide to break down and study it, sure, but it doesn't really have anything to do with how good or bad it is.

Anyway, John Warner, i'm not really sure i understand whatsoever what you EXPECT out of movies. For them to to tell exactly the story *you* would write? For their stories to parallel your worldviews? Sure, plenty of cliche, campy things happen in movies, but that doesn't seem like what this thread is about. Do you read books? Most classic literature has the same problems you're outlining here.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    so the ending of se7en was the moral choice?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghandi was a psycho, we all know that.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke should have totally killed Vader...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    Luke should have totally killed Vader...

that would be my second example:

Luke Skywalker has Darth Vader at his mercy at the end of Return of the Jedi and spares him.

vs

Anakin Skywalker has Count Dooku at his mercy at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith and decapitates him.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://megavideo.com/?v=JCUSPG8Y

LOL. Mother Theresa wasn't so great either.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only watch movies for the sex scenes. Boobs are morally OK with me.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boobs are awesome and clearly very moral.

Vig -- if i may, sir. IF I MAY. you're making large assumptions about what my intent is. I never told you to not see the movies. I agree completely with your first statement, that's what i'm doing here. you hit it right on the head -- your first statement is the intent of this thread. exactly.

The reason that this thread is called "helpful" is because I see quite clearly that people in general are still dealing with these themes on a serious level and I wanted to deconstruct them in a sort of tounge-in-cheek way. I'm more interested in knowing that other people understand these themes then people somehow-stop-making-these-movies. let me make something clear:

expressing these types of ideas is important because people are where they are, and we need to deal with those ideas somehow before we can move beyond them. I just get goddamn frustrated that some people somewhere apparently seem hung up on these ideas. I guess I'm being a curmudgeon in that sense... it's just frustrating okay? god dammit. the thing that's difficult about it is that the people who make the films don't seem to really reconcile these issues in a healthy way before they actually make the story, and I wish they would, but yes, at the very least, they're providing me with the ability to call their work out as being stupid.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off the top of my head, I can literally think of a dozen films in which the protagonist of the film outright murders the villain. If Dark Knight bothers you, watch Unforgiven - William Munny kills a crippled Little Bill in cold blood. If you don't care for the morality of Wolverine, watch Lethal Weapon 2 - Murtaugh (a cop!) shoots the South African consul in the face rather than uphold the law. Hell, watch Sin City or Kill Bill or Boondock Saints - they're chock-full of people killing people and not giving a damn about being heroic. There's hardly a shortage of films in which the main character chooses to murder his nemesis rather than bring him to justice or whatever.

*edit*
    As an aside, my main complaint with Batman Begins is that Batman chooses to let Ra's al Ghul die in the train car ("I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you.") Whether or not that's the way other people would handle the situation, it's clearly out of character with how Batman's been written for decades. Even Frank Miller didn't turn him into a killer in TDKR, but the movie version seemed to have no qualms with letting an enemy die.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    vermilion wrote: »
    There's hardly a shortage of films in which the main character chooses to murder his nemesis rather than bring him to justice or whatever.

return of the jedi, sail barge : luke is on the rope about to swing away from an empty deck, and clear decides to murder absolutely everyone apart from his mates, most of who were just there for the party. Or working. You think R2 was the only one serving drinks?
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhh, Unforgiven.....now there's a true movie for grown-ups.

Most mainstream movies are designed to appeal to a very wide audience and such lack any true psychological or emotional depth. The mental engagement with the viewer is adolescent at best. Meaning shallow.

If you want something more sophisticated, you'll have to open your mind to indie or foreign films. I live in DC and we had a foreign film festival here recently, and I managed to see a couple of titles. Really great enjoyable stuff. Not that foreign is better than American, just something that's outside the Hollywood money making machine.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    return of the jedi, sail barge : luke is on the rope about to swing away from an empty deck, and clear decides to murder absolutely everyone apart from his mates, most of who were just there for the party. Or working. You think R2 was the only one serving drinks?
    Work for a gelatinous mob boss who routinely feeds underlings, enemies and entertainers to giant monsters and you end up dead... huh...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work for a gelatinous mob boss who routinely feeds underlings, enemies and entertainers to giant monsters and you end up dead... huh...

In a barren desert with very little industry. That's quite possibly the only work they CAN do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, even being a moisture farmer, wasteland wandering tribesmen or midget scavenger or a pod racer gets you killed too... Hell you could be sitting in a bar and suddenly some crazy old man goes nuts and cuts off your arm!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »

THis reminds me of:
    RANDAL
    You know what else I noticed in Jedi?

DANTE
    There's more?

RANDAL
    So they build another Death Star,
    right?

DANTE
    Yeah.

RANDAL
    Now the first one they built was
    completed and fully operational
    before the Rebels destroyed it.

DANTE
    Luke blew it up. Give credit where
    it's due.

RANDAL
    And the second one was still being
    built when they blew it up.

DANTE
    Compliments of Lando Calrissian.

RANDAL
    Something just never sat right with
    me the second time they destroyed
    it. I could never put my finger on
    it-something just wasn't right.

DANTE
    And you figured it out?

RANDAL
    Well, the thing is, the first Death
    Star was manned by the Imperial
    army-storm troopers, dignitaries-
    the only people onboard were
    Imperials.

DANTE
    Basically.

RANDAL
    So when they blew it up, no prob.
    Evil is punished.

DANTE
    And the second time around...?

RANDAL
    The second time around, it wasn't
    even finished yet. They were still
    under construction.

DANTE
    So?

RANDAL
    A construction job of that magnitude
    would require a helluva lot more
    manpower than the Imperial army had
    to offer. I'll bet there were
    independent contractors working on
    that thing: plumbers, aluminum
    siders, roofers.

DANTE
    Not just Imperials, is what you're
    getting at.

RANDAL
    Exactly. In order to get it built
    quickly and quietly they'd hire
    anybody who could do the job. Do
    you think the average storm trooper
    knows how to install a toilet main?
    All they know is killing and white
    uniforms.

DANTE
    All right, so even if independent
    contractors are working on the
    Death Star, why are you uneasy with
    its destruction?

RANDAL
    All those innocent contractors
    hired to do a job were killed-
    casualties of a war they had
    nothing to do with.
    (notices Dante's confusion)
    All right, look-you're a roofer,
    and some juicy government contract
    comes your way; you got the wife
    and kids and the two-story in
    suburbia-this is a government
    contract, which means all sorts of
    benefits. All of a sudden these
    left-wing militants blast you with
    lasers and wipe out everyone within
    a three-mile radius.

You didn't ask for that. You have
    no personal politics. You're just
    trying to scrape out a living.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And then all the shrapnel rains down upon Endor...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    that would be my second example:

Luke Skywalker has Darth Vader at his mercy at the end of Return of the Jedi and spares him.

vs

Anakin Skywalker has Count Dooku at his mercy at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith and decapitates him.

Well...Dooku wasn't Anakins father was he.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    seem to be trying to digest this idea that there is some higher watchman who is manipulating us. This is a fear-based fantasy and I'm SICK of seeing it. not only is it just boring, and meaninglessly painful, but there's never a solution offered. nobody ever beats the system.

go check out V for Vendetta one of my all time favorites !!! :)

*i have yet to read the alan moore comics*
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote: »
    go check out V for Vendetta one of my all time favorites !!! :)

*i have yet to read the alan moore comics*
    The comics kicked ass, so did the film but it would have been better if I didn't read the comics first. He also does a good job of laying out social change and what a change of government will do and the stages it moves through. I can't help but think how differently Iraq would have gone if someone high up had read the same books Alan Moore was when he wrote V, even watching V might have raised a few flags.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    See, all this is why I want to make a move, or even better, a game, where you play the classic hero, off to save your people who have been wronged by the big evil empire, etc, etc.
    Only in the end to find that despite your justified motivation YOU are the rebel/militant-extremist trying to overthrow an otherwise stable society.
  • TWilson