Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TWL´s Weapons Thread

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
Another weapons 3D art thread...

Start: Benelli M4 Super90

benelliM4Super90_05.jpg

Thought I would share some art for once. Got stuck in a breakpoint demo project which killed my DW4 entry, so i guess i can just start do something else. :P I want to get better presenting my work and with the image included this is not the case, it is just a tease for whats to come. (or so i hope)
Ok so where is this program which everyone use to display their models in? Monkey labs something, il try find that and get my shit together! :P

Enjoy
C&C is welcomed :)

Replies

• ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Holy crap, that looks great! Awesome job :D Any chance to see wires?
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exellent, as a weapons modeler myself, all i can say is, why did i get the job not you.. lol

great job, yeah, can we see the wires, and maybe some maps ^^
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Your lighting setup could use a bit of work. The rimlight is placed well but is too strong. The barrel and gas tube/tube magazine/whateveridc at the front are not illuminated at all and just look like solid colors right now.

Your model and bake seem good. Could we get FPS shots?

The gun does look smooth, props on that, but the textures seem to be suffering a bit from "grunge everything randomly" disease. For example the cheek rest and some more of the plastic has random black scrapes all over them. If you take a minute and think, plastic doesn't wear like that. Plastic gouges, dents, discolors, and the slightly bumpy texture wears off.

The rubber butt pad also has strange scrapes. That kind of rubber is really dense and firm, and certainly wouldn't have white scrapes on it. Rubber wears very similarly to plastic.

The scrapes on the metal don't make sense. Usually edges wear off more, try and minimize the amount of random scrapes on there. When wear is random however, add some chipped off paint, and try and make the random scrapes an irregular brightnesses. The sights and rails could use some more love too. The whole thing also could benefit from a very slight tint of blue, since metal isn't perfectly monochrome.

It's a very good start, though!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys thats encouraging! That are some very valid points Racer :) Yeh I should finish and redo the textures :P Il get some wires and maps up on monday i guess.

For now, here is a Beretta M9:
    M9_01.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Fuck, Thats awesome.
    Teach me.
  • KikiAlex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Beretta M9 model looks awesome but it has way to much grunge from my perspective and you have a few normal smoothing errors.
    Could you show your textures ?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ok so where is this program which everyone use to display their models in? Monkey labs something, il try find that and get my shit together! :P

You can find that here
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61346

Really nice job with the weapon, looks accurate and material definition is ++. Love to see it in game.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya good model, but it's scratched to hell EVERYWHERE, try toning it down in recesses, and even on flat areas, leave some scratches along the protruding edges and such.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, that's really great! You really gotta put that shotgun on Marmoset! :)

For the M9, I agree with the overused scratches comment, you definitely got carried away in that, other than that, top-notch work!

I'd love to take a look at the HP/LP and texture sheets, if possible! :)
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh man, your totally f***ing my eyeballs with that stuff.
  • quyeno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    wow..amazing craftsmanship.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks kaburan, thats what im talking about :), im definately getting my stuff into it when I can.
    I agree about the grunge, however I wanted to make it more intresting with reflections and stuff going on once its animated in game and in fps view it does look pretty cool!

Luke_Starkie teach? Yeh sure I can try help you if you want, leave your MSN or email here. and I will get in touch with you. Maybe send me some of your stuff and il see what we can improve on. :P

King of Daveness, its not rape if you dont say no! :P Thanks guys! Glad you like it!
    Well spotted KikiAlex! Some should be fixed now.

Yeh well all stuff (texture, wires) will come up later, its just that the computer is on is locked atm... Its like love, its complicated :P

Oh yeah and the Beretta got its inside modeled too:
    M9_02.jpg

Here is a quicky, I would call it fantasy explosives and detonation device. I dont have and refs except from COD4. pretty sloppily execution but I like it non the less.
    Behold my C4:
    C4TWL.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie teach? Yeh sure I can try help you if you want, leave your MSN or email here. and I will get in touch with you. Maybe send me some of your stuff and il see what we can improve on. :P

My MSN is 'daemonluke@hotmail.co.uk' Or just leave your MSN and i'll add you ;)

Thanks alot mate :)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Add me too on MSN (racer445@gmail.com,) I'd love to give some more feedback! The C4 pack is looking nice!
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Racer445, Done! :)

The C4 Looks brill! :)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    love it man, i cant wait to see the wires, i really want to get into weapon modeling, but got a lot of class work to do first
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connecting people
    Thanks guys!

Ok work was a mess today and im really tired, i had to fix some bugs and it just didnt want to work, plus we are just changing to a totaly new system(s) making it a quite tough fun day. :)

Here are some wires to the shotgun:
    benelliM4Super90_wire.jpg

Highpoly WIP, lots to do still.
    Dragunov SVD:
    dragSnipetHP.jpg

Enjoy!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got Marmorset working and tried it out! Will get to know it better later hopefully. :)

RPG7:
    RPG7.jpg

Diffuse
    rpg_7dSmall.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    The scratches on the metal look to strong and to random, and especially behind that aiming thing there won't be a long scratch cause the aim thing is blocking it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    my biggest comment on the RPG is the area that would be right up in your face seems to be pretty small on the texture map, looks a lil low res when comapred to things you wouldnt realy see, overall though it looks dope.
    the long scractchs seem a bit weird and the spec could use some work to better define the materials but it looks good man.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    nice RPG.

The wood in back feels a little flat. and I don't think you have enough definition in the actual rocket part. Keep in mind that it's made up of separate pieces, not just one big thing.

rpg7a6dm.jpg
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys i appreciate the feedback!

Tumerboy yup the RPG feels a little weak overall looking at it now, il give texturing and the rocket a little more time. :)

NEW PIECE:

The MP-446 'Viking' pistol is a recent development of the Izhevsk Mechanical Plant (IzhMech, also known in the West by its trademark 'Baikal'). The MP-446 'Viking' is a sporting derivative of the Yarygin PYa pistol, which has been adopted by Russian military in 2003. The key differences between MP-446 and PYa are frame material and sights.

MP-446 'Viking' pistol is a short recoil operated, locked breech pistol. The Browning-type locking is achieved using traditional cam system and one large lug on the breech of the barrel, which engages the enlarged ejection port in the slide. Frame of the pistol is made from high-strength polymer. MP-446 has a double action trigger with ambidextrous frame-mounted safety lever. External hammer is enclosed from the sides by the rear extensions of the slide, which makes decocking procedure somewhat complicated, as pistol has no decoking mechanism. When engaged, safety locks the sear, trigger and slide, and allows for 'cocked and locked' carry, with the hammer cocked and safety engaged. Magazine catch is located at the bottom of the trigger guard and can be installed on either side of the gun. Double-stack magazine contains seventeen rounds of 9mm ammunition. Rear sight is dovetailed into the slide and can be had either in fixed or adjustable versions.

Type: Double Action
    Calibers: 9x19 Luger / Parabellum
    Weight unloaded: 830 g
    Length: 198 mm
    Barrel length: 112 mm
    Capacity: 17 rounds

VikingPresent1.jpg
    VikingPresent2.jpg
  • Steveo53
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice models! and I'm really diggin that MP446. Keep up the great work! :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the latest one :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Yup, that MP-446 is pretty sweet!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Seriously the metal on the slide looks like stone or something Oo
  • quyeno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    nice work mate. my only crit is that overall the gun looks like its had its day and is too worn and battered, especially the hints of rust you've added. If you could step the wear and tear down back a touch, it'll look more like a used gun rather than a old gun.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    The modeling looks solid, though your textures are a little wacky. Aside from the copious random scratching that has been mentioned I agree that the last one is especially suffering from an overly stone/rock looking texture, especially on the front end of the slide.

I would definitely take, or radically tone down, the ultra fine texture detail that you put in the normals as it looks like the main culprit in the stone look. The randomish discoloration is also a factor.

Your text also looks very fake on the shotgun and mp, especially with the level of wear the metal has received, the text is nearly unscathed (although hidden at some angles? is there something weird going on with it in the spec?).

Really though the most nagging problem to me is the amount and randomness of the scratching. It almost looks like the weapons were thrown into a rock tumbler full of metal flechettes. You even put scratches on the rubber butt of the shotgun and where the metal frame joins the pistol grip. If you take out a good 2/3rds or so of the scratches and localize them to more logical points of wear I think you'll have some really solid work on your hands.