Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rumble in the Jungle

ORIGINALLY STARTED ON GA

I hope to dedicate some time to this shortly been real busy lately with the upcoming comp. Since I've been lurking I thought I might want to start posting stuff. I compiled all of my update posts into on so please forgive the mess.

Found out today I really don't have crap to show as a guy wanting to be an enviroment artist. I've been spending to much time doing vehicles and characters I strayed away from my passion.
Here is a concept I found on Conceptart.org, the concept is primarily based in Vietnam. In my version I wanted to modernize the event and flip the sides and take the scene to North Korea. The USA is the Jet (F22 Raptor) and the North Korean base camp is occupied by Two Cobra Helicopters which later I plan on camo netting over them. Two Gaurds towers and a few misc vehicles and buildings. The Landrover will be fitted with militarry gear such as light racks and fuel cells and possibly a spare tire.
Terrain i plan on either doing a heightmap or either have my hand at sculpting a plane in zbrush and seeing how it projects.

Models are Mids so i still need to box in the lows and bake and unwrap them but it shouldnt be to much of a task because of the overall shapes.
Hope you enjoy watching this unfold, sorry to treat this post like a cooking show but ive already been working on this piece just havent posted it.

Concept:
38_eow_DAN_rumbleinthejungl.jpg
3D MAX Render:
rumble.jpg
Enjoy!! C&C Always Welcomed!

Small Update: Added Towers and Finished the Base of the Offroad/Military Rover still needs offroad gear and the F22 now has the missle bay open and has fired a few off.
rumble2.jpg
Alot of things to do still.

Night Update:

rumble8.jpg

Update: Surface To Air Missle (SAM) Highpoly Done
Goal: Finish the high polys then go back and block in the lows.

Update: After talking to some people i respect highly. I will be breaking down each piece first (high/low/bake/texture/engine/tweak) and then move onto the next piece. Then compile the scene later on when i know each asset got the full love it needed.
Low: 4,500 Tri
Still need to finish the missle bay and shaft and then optomize and start bake tests.
Enjoy!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This looks pretty cool.
    I liked the taller, thinner tower in the concept though, it looked more fragile. Yours looks a lot more "squat", you've chunkified it a fair bit. I guess it's personal preference though ;)
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MoP, In som regards I agree about the towers they still need some love at this current momment the way its falling is a point of interest I have to go back and tweak the top side to fall backwards. So this could be a points where I give the tower some slim fast. Thanks for commenting thou man first art post in these areas kind of scarey :). PC can be a tough crowd at times haha Love the atmosphere here thou. Dont change anything!
  • vend3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats looking good but when i read the thread title I was hoping to see this in 3d

rumble_jungle_II.jpg
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tell ya what that concept looks fun and kick ass I will do it in 3d for you shortly :). The concepts names seem to be popular I guess next time I should be more carefull with the title.
  • vend3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow are you serious? that would be insane!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha that's a kickass concept!

@Aftermath, What I really like about that concept of your scene is the implied dynamics, all the visual lines go through a center of swooshy action. For example the little slope on the ground is nice as it angles the heli.
    If you really looking to put down a scene only from one vantage point you might want to look into focusing on the camera position, angle and tilt. Play with the ground too, it's just flat now.

Hell what I'd do is prob just block in the major compositional items and pick a camera/vantage point and work with them till I got something that satisfies at that point, going from course to finer.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff so far, and I agree with StJoris about picking a camera angle with a blocked out version. Would love to see some plant life soon!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, right now I am currently breaking each prop down and finalizing it from high->low->texture->engine. Just to make sure every piece gets the equal amount of love needed. Once I am done with that process I will start droping the deco and such in the scene and populating it. Ultimate goal is to section each prop off to display them each as seperate portfolio peices. I should have more time coming up soon here to bust out some bakes of the normals on the SAM. Keep the crits coming guys I appriciate it a ton.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    A couple of questions:

it the left tower actually leaning in the concept, or is it the perspective?

would you find Cobra coppers in a North Korean base camp?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah i think it might be perspective, and if you draw some perspective lines you'll probably see you're using a different FOV to the concept. if thats intentional then fine, but just something to look out for
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    A couple of questions:

it the left tower actually leaning in the concept, or is it the perspective?

would you find Cobra coppers in a North Korean base camp?

In the concept it is perspective, in my new outlook on the general idea of the concept I thought total chaos would be better then just some chaos. Good eye thou and thanks for commenting on it. As for the Cobra's currently South Korea has AH-1S Cobras. They are currently a friendly to us so we would attack them but..... North Korea is an enemy so i figured the cobras would be nice and stolen. This doesnt mean that North Korea couldnt have Cobras either thou.

610x.jpg

The current FOV is on purpose sometimes things on paper just dont look well in 3d. So i decided to change the FOV some for a more dramatic feeling.

Thanks for all of the comments guys.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: So I finally had time to work on this since I droped out of DominanceWar. Here are some much needed updates of the SAM low and some reference images for all of you who will tell me I need to bevel the high and low more. I hope you guys like what you see. Time to get Betty Crocker on this bad boy now and start baking.
    LOW POLY
    dump1.jpg
    dump2.jpg
    dump3.jpg
    HIGH POLY
    dump4.jpg
    REFERENCE
    dump5.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hard to tell from these shots but I'm looking at the large ones you linked me to. Not sure if those hard edges are going to bake down so nicely. It looks like a lot of them are 90 deg angles. When you bake the normal map it will miss those and not get the right depth and will look flat.

I had the same problem when I first started doing high res stuff for baking down.

Do you do a turbo smooth on your high res when done? It is hard to tell from these shots.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    "Found out today I really don't have crap to show as a guy wanting to be an enviroment artist. I've been spending to much time doing vehicles and characters I strayed away from my passion."

still not seeing much environement there, personally this peice looks like a nice vignette for all your vehicles and props which is what your spending time on. have you not got any done that you can make an env. for