Home General Discussion

Cool stuff to do in chicago?

Me and the GF are going to chicago for her birthday in early may, i'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on stuff to do?

We'll be staying at the Central Loop Hotel/Club Quarter's hotel right near the loop. I've been looking transportation and it looks like i should get a 3 day CTA pass. Will that let me use the L-train and such?

Looking for good places to eat as well, that arent rediculously expensive.

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Take a tour of Midway? hehe.... Ahhhh there is Navy Pier, down town, etc.

Lou Malnatiis has awesome deep dish, hot doug's is the most bomb ass hot dog place I have ever been. (Right across street from Midway)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah we'll be in downtown, and mostly looking for stuff to do there in the general vicinitity without having to drive anywhere or spend all day on a train.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Their aquarium is aawwweesome
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [15:03] <bearkub> you could go eat at an Ed Dbevics if you have never been there. :)
    [15:03] <bearkub> the staff is trained to be very rude to you.
    [15:03] <bearkub> and they all wear 50's gear and dance on tables at random times
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    You could do the typical and walk down Michigan ave, and then head to navy pier, as mentioned. Millennium Park (www.millenniumpark.org) is worth a stroll, if the weather is nice. Also, the museum of science and industry (www.msichicago.org) is pretty cool, plus they have a captured wwII german sub, if you are into that kinda thing. As far as places to eat, i would recommend cafe iberico (www.cafeiberico.com), which is a really good tapas bar, though it has gotten a little more expensive in the last couple of years. Bus and/or the "L" will get you to all these places from downtown.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i went to see the blue man group while i was out there about 6 years ago. A little cheesy, if you ask me, but still was an entertaining show!

While there i just wandered.. if you're into bars Chicago fucking rules. Went to 3 or 4 different bars downtown, where each of them had different jazz bands playing. I was in awe and in love. Growing up in the country & away from cool culture ftw i guess.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Go to all of the museums, they're all awesome. Growing up with The Shedd Aquarium made me so spoiled that it's ridiculous. All other aquariums I've been to pale in comparison.

The Field Museum is awesome, great Dinosaurs (and Sue!), great gem collection, great costume reference on the second floor with asian and siberian stuff, lots of other great stuff too. I took a summer class there my last year of college with an illustration professor who was their main scientific illustrator for many years, that was awesome. Got to go all behind the scenes the last day (which wasn't even enough time to see it all). Something cool to think about while exploring the museum; only 2% of their collection stored on the premises is actually on display at any given time.

The Adler Planetarium is cool, though definitely the weakest of them all (unless you're especially interested in astronomy), if you have the time (and extra cash) I'd go, but if you miss it it wouldn't be the worst thing. They had a great (and occasionally hilarious) omnisphere-projector thing movie about Black Holes narrated by Liam Neeson that almost makes it all worth it.

The National Vietnam Veterans Art museum is actually really cool too and I highly reccomend it. Lots of cool art, some really weird art, and a lot of actual firearms on display.

As far as great cheap food go to Portillos (get a sausage/beef combo fo sho), any of the awesome pizza places (dont go to Uno's or Geno's East...they're bland commercial crap)...if you like misc asian check out a Joyee Noodles they're phenominal.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Mmm, I loves me some Chicago!

For food, you obviously need some pizza. My preference is Giordano's, but Lou Malnati's and Gino's East were both really good as well. Also, I'd recommend a Vienna Beef hot dog and living it up with a sundae from Ghirardelli. Ooh, and there's a ton of good popcorn shops, too - my fave is Popcorn Palace, out on Navy Pier.

As sites go, there's the Pier and riding the giant ferris wheel, checking out Millenium Park, the view from the observation decks of the Sears and Hancock Towers... The museum at the Art Institute has some exceptionalyl famous pieces, includind Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon..." and Wood's "American Gothic." Oh, and even if you aren't into sports, catching a Cubs game at Wrigley field is a pretty cool experience. You definitely want to get up around Wrigleyville to check the area out.

There are also a couple of guided tours that I've heard are pretty fun, especially the boats up the river. And do a little research before you go, because sometimes there's a movie shoot going on - on my last trip there in August '07, I actually saw some stuff being filmed for The Dark Knight, totally cool!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Went last year, Michigan Ave is pretty awesome.
    Make sure to hit all the museums and everything. Give yourself lots of time though. ;)
    We only had an hour for each place which was no where near enough. A dozen places over 2 days was very rushed (and half our school group were idiots.)

Chinatown has a great place to eat at the end of Wentworth street, can't remember the name though.
    Threadless home is in the upper part of the city IIRC.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    here's a few things to do in Chicago, first you should definitely see the sears tower before it becomes the Willis tower in June. Millennium park is cool, and a block or two away from the art institute of Chicago museum if my memory serves me correctly. A cubs game is always fun. I would recommend staying away from Boystown however. as for food Lou Malnatis is a good place for pizza, gene and jude's makes a good hot dog, portillos too. as for the CTA pass, you should be able to ride the "L" and take any CTA bus wherever you need to go. I'll ask my brother about other things as he lives there and i live in the suburbs.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    [15:03] <bearkub> you could go eat at an Ed Dbevics if you have never been there. :)
    [15:03] <bearkub> the staff is trained to be very rude to you.
    [15:03] <bearkub> and they all wear 50's gear and dance on tables at random times

That place is cool, but it's meant definitely meant for families.
    I went there with a few friends and we started cracking jokes back at the waiter, some curse words were said, then they told us we had to leave. :poly124:
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Chicago resident here. Lot's of good touristy recommendations so far.

You'll be right there on Michigan Avenue, so walk South and you'll pass the Art Institute if you want to have a look on the way to Millenium Park. At the park, check out "The Bean," just so you can say you have. Turn left through Millenium and keep walking East through Grant Park and check out Buckingham Fountain on your way across the street to the lake front.

Turn right (Southwards) and head along the water to the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium.

From your hotel, if you head North instead on Michigan Avenue, you'll be on the Magnificaent Mile. Tons of stores and shopping. At the northern end is the old Water Tower, which is worth walking by on your way to the Hancock Building. I recommend going to to the top of the 'cock to the Signature Lounge for a drink at night. (Two drink minimum, drinks are pricey, but it is worth it, if you are into that sort of thing.)

Hop a cab to Navy Pier and check that out. When done, you can catch the water taxi from there and head into down town on the Chicago River. Get out and you will be a block or two from the Sears Tower. Definitely go up there, especially if it is clear out. It is awesome.

That's some good touristy stuff to keep you occupied. I can suggest some nightlife stuff to do in the neighborhoods if you're into that sort of thing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs: Thanks for the info on the CTA pass, thats exactly what i was hoping it would be.

Anoon: Awesome stuff, nightlife stuff would be great to hear too. Not really into clubs or that sort of stuff, but a semi-classy bar or two would be great to know about.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool.
    What kind of food/music/entertainment do you like? Perhaps I could throw out a couple more ideas later when I get home.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit: It would be cool do her!]
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anoon wrote: »
    Cool.
    What kind of food/music/entertainment do you like? Perhaps I could throw out a couple more ideas later when I get home.

Pretty much any food, anything that is good we're open to.

As far as music, jazz, reggae would be cool, but really anything laid back and not so loud that its impossible to have a conversation.