Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2010 Is Here...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mform?id=10083915&siteID=123112

I just saw that the trial for 3ds max 2010 has been released today. I have been checking the site daily for about a week now and just noticed it.
I thinks it 32 bit only though, so it looks like I will still have to wait for the 64 bit release (hopefully soon).

From the previews, the biggest difference I saw was Polyboost like tools. If anyone is down for the 32 bit version and try it, please post what you think.

Replies

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Graphite stuff looks sort of neat.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it`s a shame that the guys behind max did hardly a thing on the graphit tools instead its just polyboost wrapped in a modern ribbon interface.
    What makes me angry however is that its not really integrated in max,- e.g if you retopo it does not include your regular polyOp methods - instead it gives you new ones that are devekoped ontop or aside of max not inside of max.Which makes btw. this script even for max2010 worthy:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=60655

And if you saw the modeling videos its a desaster interface and 'missing' shortcut wise. The guy in the video had to select each operation manually each time from the ribbon interface (and there are a hell lot of them visible at once, not like the original concept of the ms ribbon interface where everything is context based and somewhat tidied up).
    All the loaded functions are nice but its terrible to assign them all (or all you need) to new and additional shortcuts. If they continue like this at some point even the default shortcut kayout wont have much space left for new functionality.
    For example why dont they follow silo or modo where you simply double click on a edge to loop select it- or make it middle mouse button or whatver but integrate it propper because with just maxscripting cant do that - one would have to fix up the rotten core.
    Like now they just put another eye-candy patch on top of what's not yet good enough- to distract from the fact that indeed max is getting older each time instead of fresher each version.

I guess I am not the only one who is not so happy by the fact of them releasing a new full version release every few months. Instead they should try to solve core problems like:
    - xref (make it stable, make it relieable)
    - select dialogue (h- key, its freaking slow since 2008 or so)
    - dock able items, custom n-views (as many as you want , where you want it) - complete new GUI core
    ...or simply start all over with something new anc exciting that transfers the best of what 3dsmax is in a new a modern approach just like the core lighwave guys did with modo.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    yea the "new" graphite tools arent really new since you can do most of it with various scripts

But I'd still like to test the speed of the new scene explorer, material editor and the new review 3 realtime viewport display thingy. I'll wait for the 64 bit trial though
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Did they fix selection?

2) Did they fix multi-object unwrap?

3) Did they add deformable envelopes to skin?

4) Did they make a optimize modifier that works on quads?

5) Did they fix the auto audio channel in ProSound?

6) Did they fix the viewport display when linking objects?

7) Did they update the batch render to be mildly useful instead of mildly retarded?

8 Did they actually make the UI customizable?

9) Did they get the hint that the view cube and steering wheel are totally useless and removed them?

I have a lot more but I'll stop now.

I'm glad SoundTrax, PolyCruncher and polyboost are integrated, however it sounds like they mangled polyboost pretty good... Hopefully you can install older versions and get back some of the functionality that made it so great.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    1) Did they fix selection?

9) Did they get the hint that the view cube and steering wheel are totally useless and removed them?

no and no.
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    renderhjs wrote: »
    - select dialogue (h- key, its freaking slow since 2008 or so).....

I don't know if it's a repost or not but

you can activate the older version in
    C:\Documents and Settings\BLABLABLA\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 32bit\enu\defaults\MAX\CurrentDefaults.ini
    [Scene Explorer]
    SelectByNameUsesSceneExplorer=0

set 1 for the default scene explorer or 0 for oldversion :\
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the scene container thingumy bob look very good, and very usefull, polyboost intergration not so and pity they broke the UNDO doh
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    polygon cruncher is implemented?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, its a modifier called "ProOptimizer". Its in 3dsmax 2009 if you have the creative extensions installed.
  • suffeli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm did they finally implement AA in the viewport? That annoying viewcube trashed it up for good. I guess 9 version was the last one that it worked.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has it got UV tools worth a damn yet? Or action centres that work as advertised?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Talon wrote: »
    Has it got UV tools worth a damn yet? Or action centres that work as advertised?
    no fixes on the UV part :( most likely the multi-UV stuff is still not complete, damn you autodesk for adding more bugs instead of making less
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    suffeli wrote: »
    Hmm did they finally implement AA in the viewport? That annoying viewcube trashed it up for good. I guess 9 version was the last one that it worked.

you can remove the viewcube and steeringwheels thingy completely by renaming some plugin. kick out the phone-home-plugin (little radar dish icon, forgot it's name) and tentacles same way while you're at it. :) away with the bloat!

AA works for me in 2008 at least, toggled on in the graphics driver settings, not in max. it's an nvidia quadro tho, not sure if that makes a difference?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure deleting 3dsmax files would be a path to a stable reliable experience, its buggy enough as is. It would be great if 3dsmax was compartmentalized like that and deleting select pieces wouldn't effect anything else, but to be honest we just don't know what is dependent on something else.

It's probably safer to disable them or not install them.

I think they dropped tentacles in 2010 it doesn't seem to be there and I don't see an option for it.

As for the phone home radar, if you customize the install you have the option to not install it. You can also disable the steering wheel and viewcube by going into the viewport configuration window (right click viewport lable > Configure...) each has their own tab with options.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Is it me or the flatten uv's still selects only one chunk as opposed to earlier version ( <2008) where it selected all of them? Or is this customizeable and i'm being dumb.

There's still a lot of R3 stuff in these new versions, its ridiculous that they fix stuff that aint broken (viewport cube/ gay movement thing) and leave that BS to rot in there.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    viewcube can get fucked. and the price for this POS software is beyond ridicolous.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Vig wrote: »
    I'm not sure deleting 3dsmax files would be a path to a stable reliable experience, its buggy enough as is.

sure is a flaky app (aren't they all?), i have gone down the delete-it route for years tho, max has never been extraordinarily unstable here, more on the contrary actually, less crap that get's loaded on startup, i suppose. the auto-bloat doesn't seem very central to the app thankfully. :)

if tentacles is gone, that's good to hear, if i remember correctly, it wasn't straightforward to get rid of through the config-dialog. but surely was completely utterly useless. :)
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else finding it crashes more so than 2009 with high counts? I'm still on 32bit os at home so my pc's not great for this stuff anyhow, but on 2009 I can import 4 million tri model and do normals/occlussion etc. When using 2010 it crashes all the time with the same amount.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    yey, a more bloated version than before! Once again, discreet wips out their wang and expects us to enjoy it.

how about no?

Go with XSi guys. Even Maya is better than this crap but not much.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    how about no?
    they booth dont have the same community and free tutorial base max has you simply can't compare them. And even maya has big flaws that are really getting dated (e.g gui). XSI suffers mostly from not beeing known by many people (same as houdini which is basicly a fine modeler and render package as well) and often therefore not learned by newcommers - personally I never touched it myself before, neither did anyone I know.
    Each app. has it's pros and cons and I think we should be happy that there is at least still a broad selection of different applications (modo, lightwave, max, maya, xsi, houdini, blender, silo, wings3d, zBrush, mudbox, 3d coat,...) and not like the Photoshop monopol.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    I've used just about every major 3d package for awhile now, and 3dsmax is easily the most dated and archaic of them all. Yes it has a use friendly interface ( I guess), but the work flow is horrendous.

XSI isn't very well known, but is easily the best package I've ever used. The MOST robust, and quality toolset I've ever had to use.

I think it sped up my work flow by at least double. It's not a wonder why Valve is using it.

If you're happy with max, then I'm glad for you- but you owe it to yourself to learn XSI, and find out just how much better it is. I'd gladly recommend it to any company, it really is that good.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well I have the same impression of modo but it's useless as a whole because the big industry or companies I know simply never heard of it- wont buy it because it does not work with their plugins/ tools,... - like I said the strongest card max has is its history and shear massive of little odd buggy tools in it.
    I heard as well that XSI is great but as long as its a smal player its not very interesting - esspecially in the western games industry. Regarding Valve I think it was more a marketing reason and money was the trigger - I dont think they care that much.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hmm.... lets see now, autodesk XSI?
    tried it, bashed my head against its UI for a bit, then gave up, downloaded nevercenter Silo 2.1 to see if it had gotten any further.. hmm. new UV tools! NICE!
    but it can't load psd files. hmmh. ah well, i guess i'll still wait for a bit then.

if you want to toy with XSI, this is a good place to start:
    http://www.xsibase.com/users/max2xsi/MAX2XSI.htm

but there's still a whole bunch of strangeties with the XSI interface, such as the import interface.. daaaamn. oh, and the open/close dialog isn't the standard windows one, so you can't use folder shortcuts you've assigned.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I have tried my hand with XSI and there is definitely something about it which appeals to me - it feels more solid than max does. I have colleagues who swear by it as well. I cannot quite make the jump yet though - everything is easier for me in max. I guess that makes me lazy for now but I do keep XSI in mind for more attention this year.

The new stuff in 2010 hasn't blown my mind so far bearing in miind I was a polyboost user prevously. The container stuff is interesting but I have this nagging feeling that if you actually relied on that in production it would let you down. Similar bugs have cropped up from time to time with xrefs and so on and it really puts one off of using those features especially as something we would rely on in our pipelines. For the containers this view of mine is completely unfounded so maybe this will be a great new feature! Usually by about service pack 3 we will know for sure? :)

Maybe I am just feeling all cynical and jaded? - probably.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak wrote: »

I'll stick with modo, thanks ;)

Also, I believe Valve no longer use XSI. It's modo and Maya now.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I know that Id software uses modo - see the last podcast but never heard of other game companies using it as a main toolset (import,export,...)

anyway I think we all agree that autodesk needs to change their priorities and price table in future in order to convince the advanced users.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Hell I might switch to modo myself. Also it's not as blaoted as max and maya is. It's doesn't mean im gonna abandon max it's just modo has more powerful of a modeling tool.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    what is with the industry trend these days to release new software with is more bloated and more buggy and adds new buggy features without properly fixing the old buggy features?

PS CS4 is like that too... hell even CS2 to an extent is buggy and bloated as hell... I wonder if it's because the developers feel they don't want to alienate the current userbase by completely changing the interface to something more efficient?

Or if they even care at all because they're like crack dealers... you're already hooked into the thing and you can't get out.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I know that Id software uses modo - see the last podcast but never heard of other game companies using it as a main toolset (import,export,...)

Just to clarify, I believe mainly the level designers / env artists at id use Modo, and even then I don't know if that's company-wide. The animators use Maya, and the character artists use Max mainly, last time I heard.
    They tend to allow a fairly flexible app use.

I think I will give Max 2010 a miss for now. Incorporating polyboost and polycruncher sounds like a smart move, if a bit of a cheap trick which will get old fast - but I don't need any of these upgrades at home (not worth it) and I use Maya at work, so... no thanks.

As for people talking about switching app completely - sure, for personal use, do whatever, but try explaining to a 50+ person studio that they're going to have to rework their entire workflow/pipeline/integration and re-train all the artists... heh, good luck with that.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    As for people talking about switching app completely - sure, for personal use, do whatever, but try explaining to a 50+ person studio that they're going to have to rework their entire workflow/pipeline/integration and re-train all the artists... heh, good luck with that.

Well with any luck, one of the few good things that will come of Autodesk owning XSI/Maya/Max/MB/Mudbox is that crosswalk will only get better. Hopefully it will eventually get to the point where it doesn't matter which package you're using, you can just crosswalk across to whatever package your tools are written for and then send it through the pipeline. Better yet, people could start writing their tools to deal with crosswalk directly.

What? A guy can dream can't he?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    or a creative suite from autodesk where you can pick any of the 3 packages all in 1 price package - this would even encourage professionals to try more often the other tools from the other packages. To bad hardly anyone would be able to afford that
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    been watching some of the autodesk GDC 2009 videos and in the 3dsmax2010 part 1 video they said that the Graphite tools are basicly stored as XML :D which puts a big smile on my face as I hope that they will go with that for everything in the future: GUI elements that can be customized and stored as XML files.

the videos are btw. here:
    http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/events/gdc_2009_videos
    there are also 2 maya videos and 1 XSI among lots of other cool stuff (mudbox as well)
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    I found the graphite tools to be useful as migration tools or somebody who's relatively new to 3dsmax. To experienced users, this won't really help much esp those who already owned PolyBoost. I'm using maya daily and one thing I never understand from Autodesk is why they never standardize viewport navigation or at least giving option like XSI or modo. That way everybody's happy instead of wasting time developing viewCube which I think is ridiculous. And
    The ribbon whatever it is took a lot of working space too.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the ribbon interface is not really executed the way it should -it's a eye-catcher to the newer folks are who are easier blended with such stuff (seems like autodesk copies in this regards from adobe who does a optical face lifting every new release in order to satisfy the amounts of money you have to pa....).
    What I noticed is that you can drag out parts of the ribbon interface - but I haven't see it floating as a whole vertical or in a box size or anything else as the top space. With the recent trend of landscape screens it's even less reasonabe for me why they placed it horizontal by default (I guess otherwise it would have been more obvious that they use now 2 completely different GUI philosophies).
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... What, Elte?

Ignoring the bit following 'especially', you're basically saying Polyboost/graphite has little value for 'experienced max users'? Surely that'd simply be because they were stuck in their ways?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not liking the ribbon and hacking up polyboost and tossing it in there isn't helping things, all it did was turn polyboost into some kind of awkward, huge and labor intensive process. I'm sticking with 2009 + Creative Extensions + Vanilla polyboost.

When everyone cries for years to rebuilt the UI so it all works together and isn't tacked on, we didn't mean change the icons and tack on more useless BS.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not calling polyboost useless, its very useful, but choosing to stick in the ribbon is.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    no I am saying that nice shiny interfaces (read: not necessarily a productive feature) are not that anticipated by everyone. I was more referring to the ribbon interface, the GUI and some of the icon face lifting they did for 2010. Polyboost itself is very usefull and its nice that they included it but its far from perfect merged with max.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    maybe it's just want I use max for (archvis and mechanical visualization with MR or VRay) but I don't seem to have any stability problems that I always seem to read about on boards whenever there's a new release and everyone starts ranting about how terrible max is.

I guess maybe it's tied more in with character animation or something else more game related? There are certainly things that annoy me, but nothing that's driving me away. It's all mostly superficial things. But out of curiosity (because I enjoy trying new software) what are some things in say XSI that would make me want to switch?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the reply.

Gave that video a watch. I've always been super impressed with ICE. GATOR seems insane. I'm interested what it takes to break it honestly. I wish I could see what's pushing it too far. Unfortunately other than adding edge loops along topology in a numerical manner (everything I do it very specific, everything has to be modeled real world size down to the 1/16th of an inch and i'm super neurotic about every poly and edge being placed exactly, nothing is ever ever eyeballed so things like swiftloop and flow connect don't appeal to me so much) And a slide tool better than face or edge constrain they didn't show much for me. All just fancy stuff.

I guess I'll just have to build something in softimage and see for myself. I'd just like a heads up on some features I should look into so I don't just completely mimic my Max workflow (which depends HEAVILY on splines if that helps).
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone else having trouble with shortcuts? For some reason alt+ctrl+C isn't collaping verts for me. It says it's the assigned shortcut under CUI, but nothing happens.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    8FTSpider: I still haven't tried 2010 because I'm waiting on the 64 bit release, but do you have the Keyboard Sortcut Override button ticked? It happened to me when I installed max last time and took me a little while to figure out.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    our uni got max2010 copies for all the CG pools a week ago but still non of us interested got the time to test and install it.
    Will test then probably some network/ sattelite rendering stuff with the new features
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    8FTSpider: I still haven't tried 2010 because I'm waiting on the 64 bit release, but do you have the Keyboard Sortcut Override button ticked? It happened to me when I installed max last time and took me a little while to figure out.

I read over at the Area that Autodesk isn't going to release a 64 bit trial for download due to cutting costs for having to host two separate versions. The only way to get the trial in 64 bit is to get a trial DVD from an Autodesk reseller. Here's the link to that discussion over at the Area:

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/25473/P0/
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea: Maybe you got it wrong, what I'm saying is if you already own max < 2010 and polyboost, I don't think it's worth upgrading. I agree with vig : I'm sticking with 2009 + Creative Extensions + Vanilla polyboost. It'll probably be the same case when Maya tried to integrate Nex in maya 2008 if im not mistaken which has this pre selection thingy and symmetry modeling, it gets better on every maya release. 3Dsmax 2010 sp1 or hotfix perhaps? :P
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Is anyone having trouble with the Extend tool (Border tool from PB). The tool seems to exit for no reason (did this in PB + max 2009 as well) however in 2010 when trying to re-initialise the tool, nothing happens. The cursor doesn't change. And when the tool exits, the icon for the extend tool stays on. Restart max seems to be the only way i've found to get around it.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I had to learn XSI in the company I work at, and my modeling worflow increased a lot. But for some reason, i can't give up on 3Dsmax, i still use it at home and still is my fav app. I'm really interested and curious with modo tho.

I still use max2008 btw! :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    The ribbon can sometimes be unresponsive and slow...and it also doesn't match up to the sub-object mode editable poly is in. They also took away features. I used to have "setflow" as something I could use in vertex mode, but now it only appears with edge mode.

I like how I can customize it for the left or right side but customization is still pretty limited. I wish you could just have PB look the way it used to. You can have things the way they were with topology, transform toolbox, and circle loops, space loops, etc. Why can't you do that with everything else?

Maybe someone experienced with XML can organize it all the way it used to be?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Schultzie: ah man, that is a big disappointment. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, because I would probably be waiting until max 2011 came out and be wondering what happened, lol.
    It's funny they are saying they don't want to post both 64 and 32bit because of the cost to for hosting it. Are they kidding? They are a huge company, what does it cost like a 100 bucks or something, lol.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ....do you have the Keyboard Sortcut Override button ticked? It happened to me when I installed max last time and took me a little while to figure out.

That was it. I am such a noob.