Home General Discussion

new red dwarf

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
just watched the first episode on dave. really enjoyed it :)

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's at times like this I almost wish I owned a TV :(
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I... Well...

I'm the biggest Dwarf fan going, at least around here.

But damn, I missed the laughter track so much :( And it was a shame to see so much CGI work being used too :( Red Dwarf was always about the cardboard sets, not CGI windows into space :(

Still, its more Dwarf! Hope the nest episode is better though.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I thought it was a big improvement on the last lousy series.

I did laugh out loud a few times he he , they all look so old now

talon that sucks
  • rossco1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't too impressed to be honest - maybe cos i'm a big fan and expected so of the classic comedy gold it used to deliver.
    It definitely missed the laughter track - made it seem almost serious at some points.
    Also agree the CGI kinda made it seem misaligned with the originals.

One thing that annoyed me was when they were looking out the window of the diving bell and there wasn't any water between the camera and the window! :shifty: just looked wrong.

fingers crossed the other two help to redeem it somehow...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i was gonna watch this tonight. I was a big fan of red dwarf in my youth, watching all the episodes, even through the chronic rough patch when it hit about series 5 and it felt like drinking bleach with bits of granulated poo-glass in it. Even though i knew it was going to be unfunny shite, i had it queued up to watch. All happy.

but then i got distracted, forgot, and went down the pub. And stayed in the pub. And then went for a nice italian meal. Very nice it was. Drank some wine, ate some cow, had a vital conversation, exchanged some figures.

so, was it funny?
  • rossco1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    i was gonna watch this tonight. I was a big fan of red dwarf in my youth, watching all the episodes, even through the chronic rough patch when it hit about series 5 and it felt like drinking bleach with bits of granulated poo-glass in it. Even though i knew it was going to be unfunny shite, i had it queued up to watch. All happy.

but then i got distracted, forgot, and went down the pub. And stayed in the pub. And then went for a nice italian meal. Very nice it was. Drank some wine, ate some cow, had a vital conversation, exchanged some figures.

so, was it funny?

reckon you had a better and more amusing time at the pub to be honest. :)

And why the hell dont you have sky+? :poly124:
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a huge Red Dwarf fan. I rewatch the entire series a few times a year. I wasn't a huge fan of the previous two series though (7 and 8). It was 7 when Chris left and Chloe was brought in. If that wasn't enough I believe they didn't have a laughtrack in that series as well. Gah. They should have learned their lesson.

I did enjoyed this first new special though, mainly because I love Red Dwarf. I just really like the characters and the actors. I actually enjoyed the new fx too. Yes, different from the sets in the past but they were't purposely aiming for crappy sets back then. That's just the best they could get with their crew and their budget. With a larger budget, obviously they're going to make things look a bit better.

I just don't like that they didn't really explain the last 10 years and why Rimmer is a hologram with a hardlight beam again. I imagine he just died again at the end of the previous series OR the original Rimmer hologram quit being Ace Rimmer. But yeah, the entire time I was watching the episode I was thinking "that would've been funnier and more enjoyable with a laughtrack." I'll still be buying the DVD when it comes out though just for the extras and the commentary. Hell I follow Robert Llewellyn's twitter and watch his youtube shows because it allows me to see more Kryten LOL.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    I'm the biggest Dwarf fan going, at least around here.

Thems fighting words
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I actually liked it without the laugh track. I then felt that I could laugh without being

prompted.

Its just a shame that rob grant quit really, would have been twice as good.

The russian hologram is a great character and rimmer is back to his weasely best.

I just hope the next episode improves on the first, not tailing off in to nothing like the last

series
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    jeezus the second one stank . seriously why did they bother
  • rooster
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the second one more then the first. I'm not a big fan of breaking the 4th wall, but I still enjoyed it. I'm curious to see how they plan on wrapping this story up with just one more episode. I don't know if I like this actually being canon to the Red Dwarf series. I hope the specials were just produced to see if there was interest in continuing the series. I'd definitely love a series 9 in which Kochanski dies a horrible horrible death (she killed the series and deserves to be killed off too).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The second one didn't really seem like red dwarf, its was more like a lacklustre tv drama you get on ITV.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking that they could very well be in a video game like "Better Than Life." Or the monster that was in the water could be a sort-of despair squid which generated the illusion of the new hologram and then came up with a story in which it left the ship and sent the crew to Earth. They could just be seeing Earth as an hallucinogenic illusion. I'd be cool with that, even though they've tackled that scenario too much already. Honestly I'm just glad I get to see the actors and new Red Dwarf episodes... it's better than nothing :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah it was ok in the end. i quite enjoyed the comedy aspects.

skrubbles you were spot on :)
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I haven't watched the final episode yet (I live in the US), but if I'm spot on then I'm just awesome. YAY ME!! All hail the Lord of the Starfleet!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just watched them... not sure what to think. Started off alright then got all moody (with loads of really akward Blade Runner spoofs) and introspective, usually they save that for Lister's rant in the last few minutes before something comically bad happens to him and the credits roll.

Meh?
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I just watched it and DAMN I was indeed correct (nearly). Overall I enjoyed it and I think I'll enjoy them more when I watch them back-to-back as one long episode. The crouch jabbing was more painful then funny to me though. OUCH! The whole thing did scream "WE WANT TO DO MORE! LET US DO MORE RED DWARF!" So, I'm hoping that it did well in the UK because I DO want more Red Dwarf. And I'll definitely be buying the DVD of this when it's available.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    skrubbles - unrealistic career goals for the win:)

yeah talon it was a bit meh, but somehow the drama side in the episodes kind of works for me.

The blade runner stuff was just odd really. They just stole vast swathes of it.

I thought the coronation street scenario was quite funny for some reason.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    was there an alien that feeds off emotions or personality traits?

if not then thats not red dwarf, and i want nothing to do with it
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr - Sorry, no Polymorph in these specials.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    makes a change
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    how can I watch this in the US?
    never mind, found it on youtube :P
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Watching them back in one go, they ARE a lot better and are growing on me a lot... But damn them for no laughter track, it really lets it down. :(
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    wow................that was bad............i'm really bad...................wow
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    go to youtube and search for: Red Dwarf Back to Earth episode 1 part 1 and keep going from there, they are probably going to get taken down.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its great that its back and the cg is great, but the writing has gone to the dogs. What a pity
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn you English people and your awesome tv!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those interested, here's some of Back to Earth with a laughtrack: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoukWv5rD4E[/ame]

Sure enough, I was smiling a lot more during this.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. Its perfect :D How could they remove it :(
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I watched all 3 episodes so far last night. Awesome stuff! Some of the jokes were great, others were ok. Looking forward to ep4!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    lol
    there isnt one?
    wasnt too keen on this... I remembered red dwarf being much better.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    skrubbles you're right! so much better with the laugh track.. I'd never even thought about it before this thread, always just felt there was something missing
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    It was surprisingly better than I was anticipating, maybe that's because all I remember of red dwarf post-season 5/6 was the bad taste left in my mouth.

And you're right, the laughter track makes a world of difference, strange considering I typically hate that kinda thing. Although I suppose it's more that I despise canned laughter rather than live audience.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was following Robert "Kryten" Llewellyn's twitter and he mentioned that he'll talk to the powers-that-be about including an option on the DVD to view episodes with a laughtrack. Won't be the same as a live audience, but would still be a cool feature.