Home Technical Talk

tablet pressure sensitivity

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
this probably isn't the right forum for this. But I'm always having difficulties with getting my tablets pressure sensitivity to work in photoshop.

I was doing some stuff last night and it wouldn't work. So I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled them and everything was fine.

Turned the comp on today and it's back to not working.

Has anyone had these kinds of recurring problems? Any workarounds that don't involve me getting into useless conversations with Wacom tech support?

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ive had a problem where pressure sensitivity cuts out in photoshop, but works in other programs. usually a photoshop restart fixes it, but it sounds like you've a different problem tbh. do you have something else to test the pressure in? ah, the wacom setup panel should have a pressure sensitivity strip, have you tried the test area in there?

it could be that its a photoshop rather than wacom problem
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed that if you alt-tab out to a different program while Photoshop is starting up then you will usually lose pressure sensitivity until you restart Photoshop.

Just to confirm, are you saying the tablet pressure sensitivity only doesn't work in Photoshop, but does work in other applications?
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This problem has started happening to me recently. I'm fairly sure it's a vista problem, as it only started after I accidently clicked on 'tablet pc' in the control panel, and then the wacom drivers engaged in a pitched battle with the vista tablet drivers. Restarting CS3 and/or the computer fixes it, but it's annoying as hell.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I'm using Vista, and the pen tablet stuff always works the way it's supposed to work in the Wacom Properties control panel.

Interesting though, I'm pretty casual about loading photoshop, I usually just click my speed icon while I'm working in max, or checking emails etc. So maybe I need to just let it load on its own.

A restart seemed to fix it at this moment. So I'll chalk this up to the various quirks that you guys have stated. Hopefully that will keep the problem in check.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I loose photoshop pressure sensitivity if my computer goes into sleep or hibernate :|
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Another little trick I use when the tablet is not behaving (drivers being weird, pressure sensitivity failing), and I don't want to reboot - just go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and look for "TabletService" ... it should say "Started" since it loads on startup, but if you right-click on it you can "Stop" the service, then right-click again and Start it. That usually fixes stuff without a reboot.