Home General Discussion

Uploading Unreal Files to Portfolio

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
I'm in the process of redoing my portfolio and planning on having all images from in UE3. I have a couple environments planned out and have started throwing some of the stuff from the first one into UT3. The orignal idea as I stated was to have all images from in engine but I also wanted to have the level file available on my site for download. What I was considering doing with this is taking the time to add in some things that wouldn't be noticable in the screenshots. Closing off/ filling out the level so its not just viewable from a single angle. Adding sound, minor animations, and particle effects to try and give it that extra bit of polish.

So my question is. Would it be worth doing this? Would anyone actually take the time download the map file and load it up when screenshots are already available and easier to view?

Reason I ask is I don't wanna spend extra time adding to an environment when no one will see it when I could be spending that time polishing what is already there or working on another project.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99% of employers won't load the level. Unless you're applying for a level design spot.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    99% of employers won't load the level. Unless you're applying for a level design spot.

Thanks
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    If the studio you apply for uses the engine there is a good chance they will look at it. They should anyhow if they take recruiment serious.

If the studio uses whatever other engine, they will prolly ignore it yes.

Regardless I do think having your work available for download does make a good impression, plus, if you go on interview you could show the level while you are there, so yeah, I think spending extra time may be worth it.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah definitely for the sake of showing it off in person in an interview...
    whats the deal with UE3 anyway; I didn't think builds cross-opened maps, so a UT3 build map won't open on any other engine build BUT the UT3 one??? I've had problems in the past, and it's certainly happened on most recent builds I've used.

My point being is that I still think it's unlikely someone, unless they are already incredibly impressed with your work - is going to download the files, boot up the engine, load your package file, then load the level, and play around in it... That's a lot of time spent. But I wouldn't take my word for it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would look at it at , because I am nosey
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahaha Ruz.

Yea the average employer probably wouldn't load it up as they would have to have UT3 installed, not just whatever build on UE3 they are using at the studio. It might be a nice bonus kinda thing but you would probably be best spending the time making another portfolio piece instead.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I think an excellent route for this sort of thing is something like sama.van's Quest3D portfolio (in the low-poly thread); simple, packaged executable (or whatever, maybe something cross-platform) that loads up your level and content for quick viewing.

I love the idea of having one's work packaged like that, but there are seemingly no such engines with full-blown graphics extendability... I sort of wish there were, or I knew about it if there is. Was tempted to learn OGRE in order to create such a thing, but it wound up being more than I was willing to explore at the time; am not a programmer. The closest free thing I can think of is the Marmoset Toolbag, but that still requires some setting up, as well as the release of your assets.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well then surely you could just bring a laptop to the interview and show your stuff running on that if you were so keen?

talking a potential employer into downloading your exe's and running them on a company machine on the other hand - potentially with all the necessary setting-up involved ... nah, don't go there.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    If you really really want something real time on your portfilo, look into real time model viewers that require no plugins to run apart from may be flash or java. But I think you will find it hard to find one. Basiclly getting to the point, employees only care about your four best bits of work, they wanna look quickly, read your cv quickly and contact you quickly. Hopfully you will get a job quickly also :D