Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texas Tech Saloon -Enviroment (WIP)

Portfolio project Im trying to get done within this week. Graduating from Art Institute of San Diego in March. Looking for work as an Environment Artist... Like to here comments or suggestion.. Thank you Matt....
Concept
24xjsr9.jpg
Whats done so far
x42pvk.jpg
1z568zo.jpg
Bartender is Texas Tech retired Marine Master Guns
vfwjm8.jpg
143dbuc.jpg
usermedia.php?uo=8SRJv%2FfMhatl3Ecgl1OGmQ%3D%3Dusermedia.php?uo=8SRJv%2FfMhatl3Ecgl1OGmQ%3D%3D

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Dude... This project rocks! Great futuristic western feel to it. The tables are sick, especially the fold up TV things. The bartendbot looks dope. Probably the most appealing. All the textures look nice.

• OldKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final scene..
    9h7vv8.jpg
    zv9a3b.jpg
    jgoa4x.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    The design of that bartendbot is so sick. Sweepin' up and he's still ready to blast ya.

The rifle is pretty low poly. But it turned out good. I dig the little ammo screen on it and your normals worked nicely.

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think the ligthing and the color choise is bad- it looks cheap and uninspired. Its a little bit like programmer art where colors are choosen purely because of rough association like turquoise for glow, or brown for wood or grey for metal.
    If you look at many earllier US games many of the games used similar colors where artists were less involved.
    My point is that as a artist you should know that wood is not just pure brown you pick from a default color palette (like the one of ms paint or the default phothosp one, or just the RGB values you have in memory as a programmer like 255,0,0 for red).
    In fact most materials are way different as you it usually imagine - for example if you were to pick a color for a banana in ms paint and then later really get a real banana to compare you will notice that the banana is never tinted in the yellow color you picked.
    In fact even today many big sales games esspecially american games use these cheap colors typically fow glow - its what I call the us-western color/lighing style (red,pink,blue - its pure screaming)- whereas european games esspecially russian games are more greyish and more binded to earth and nature colors (mainly brown/grey/green).

So my suggestion:
    Have actually a look at real references and dont try to do things out of your head (to me it looks like that in a very obvious way). Get some good textures (real photos) and study the texture - what patterns and what color mixes it uses (not just a plain color). After that imo. you should notice that glow is not the way you did it, wood does not look the way you did it and metal never looks the way you did it.

sorry for the blatant post- hope it will be usefull in a way
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    It looks cool, one suggestion would be to add some more wear, like stains dirty up the walls, make it look really lived in/frequented.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    I actually like it how it is, Great work!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    really nice man. the floor bugs me a bit, don't know why, perhaps its the kind of greeny yellow tinge to it
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    very cool man- I really like the idea of mixing modern cowboy/redneck sensibilities with a techie edge.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    very cool man- I really like the idea of mixing modern cowboy/redneck sensibilities with a techie edge.
    See, I don't get it. The two just don't work for me. Beside that, it looks as if you've used a lot of photosource w/ much manipulation. Textures need to be leveled and color balanced against each other.

I'd have to also agree w/ renderhjs about the light and color choices...

Keep at it .
  • OldKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for all the great critiques. There are a few problem areas I will address. I agree that I need to work on reworking the textures and colors, just didnt see alot of what I can adjust when I first turned in this project. I always say that all my projects are work in progress because I will change them around when I learn something new. I'll get to this one soon. Graduating from Art Institute San Diego next week and will be posting more projects up soon. Check out my other project Legend of Zu, also posted here on polycount. Peace and wish me luck in my job search.

http://oldkidproductions.com