Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Few Class Nuggets

Just wanted to get some critiques and advice on some models I've been working on in class this quarter.
EDIT: Forgive the double-posting (at least I think there's a double-post, the internet hates me), didn't see that moderator needing to overview posts before they showed up warning.

This one was supposed to have been me, but dorked around with the hair a bit and added more 'stache and beardage. Started trying to normal map it in ZBrush, but having had no experience with it I decided the mess I made with it should never been seen by human eyes again. I also think I swore more while trying to retopologize this than anything that's ever happened to me.

polys: 2799
tris:5574

ME_FACE03.pngME_FACE02.pngME_FACE01.png
ME_BODY04.png
ME_BODY03.png
ME_BODY02.png
ME_BODY01.png

We had a somewhat stricter poly limit on this one, so I had to sacrifice some things that woulda been nice if I rigged her up (like a face, and arms that can bend properly). Normal maps still seem to enjoy teasing me, or it's just Max. Threw a quick texture on her to see how nasty my unwrap was.

She's kind of a big, more enraged version of those old pullstring dolls. Aimed for a glossy wooden appearance. A couple of my friends were planning on trying to make a 2D fighter until our classes flipped us over a reamed us, figuratively of course, and I decided I just had to model her.

polys:2300
tris:4410

DOLL_FRONT.jpgDOLL_SIDE.jpg
DOLL_FACE02.png
DOLL_FACE01.png
DOLL_FACE03.png
DOLL_BODY02.png
DOLL_BODY01.png
DOLL_BODY03.png
DOLL_BODY04.png

Bah, 24 images per post? I can't flood this forum with things&stuff with such a number!

Replies

• CainDraka
    I'm actually fairly fond of this guy. Learning some more about ZBrush and built him up with zspheres, although I'm still a bit perplexed on how decent hands can spawn from those things, ended up making his hands in Max and struggling with trying to get them attached to the body. Eventually got it all one mesh although not really sure how to get the hands and wrist to fully attach, unless retopologizing it will be kind enough to do that.

His name is Charlie, he likes pickles and encyclopedias. Still gotta touch him up a bit, make his cap assymetrical and whatnot. Maybe start crying and vomiting when I remember how much I hate topology.

CHARLIE.png
    CHARLIE_HEAD01.png
    CHARLIE_HEAD02.png
    CHARLIE_HEAD03.png
    CHARLIE_BODY02.png
    CHARLIE_BODY01.png
    CHARLIE_BODY03.png
    CHARLIE_BODY04.png

Feel free to disembowel me or whatever you guys enjoy doing to the newbies.
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Less GI renders, more wireframes: gives people more to critique. GI renders usually hide errors. Screengrabs are usually better, as they give both information on the wireframe and mesh and they take alot less time than renders.
  • BrodyB
    Both models are very, very straight. Even someone standing up straight has an S-curve to their back and with the arms slightly bent. Even for the robot. The concept art shows curvature, which is completely lost in the model.

27665631.jpg
  • CainDraka
    @BrodyB - Wow, that had to have been some bad oversight on my part. Well I guess it's good I asked for critiques then.

@kaoticvisions - They're also pretty useful for fitting under the image limit per post:

ME_ALL.png
    ME_HEAD_ALL.png

Moved some things around in her back and neck.

DOLL_ALL.png
    DOLL_HEAD_ALL.png
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    When you save your images makes sure your using save for web and devices in photoshop. They took forever to load.