Home Technical Talk

Tablet issues?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
I baught a "Trust" tablet last year and finaly pulled it out of the box an hooked it up. Problem is, it draws really jaggard lines and frequently draws a streight line when I try and draw a curve. Is this something I'm doing wrong or is it just a piece of shit?

Anyone know anything about this brand? It was all I could find localy and had some decent reviews.

It's a Trust TB-3100

I have never used a tablet before so I have no idea whats up.

Replies

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    It´s a piece of shit as far as I know. I remember some dude here saying he tried to draw diagonal lines using a ruler but the damn thing refused to draw them straight on the screen. Precision is not their concern it seems.

Get a Wacom Bamboo if you are short in money. They are cheap and quite a leap from any Trust tablet. Oh and the pen is battery free which makes it a lot lighter =)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude.

Figured there was something wrong with it. I think I will just hold out for now and save towards a Clintique. I got this thing cuz it was cheap and all I could find....

Whats the point of a tablet that won't draw properly............ Dumb fuckers. i guess I'll just toss it or pull it appart to see how it ticks.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mm, if you draw really fast it make lines properly, even circles but there is no way in fuck I can draw acurately at that speed. Maybe a pro could but not me. I took it appart and had a look inside, it looks insanely low dpi. What a piece of shit.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I had one before I bought my Intuos, and it's indeed troublesome to work with unless you draw really fast. Back then, I'd redo pretty much every line a couple of times before I got it right. I wouldn't call it unusable, but it's not really good for art and probably too frustrating if you're used to a Wacom.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I had several crappy tablets in the beginning (like 4 or so) and noone of them could draw a straight diagonal line - it always ended up with a zig zag line.
    Wacom the only true device you can get. If you dont have the money look out on eBay or somewhere else for a use one - they are as good as new usually. The same can be said the other way around: if you buy a regular wacom tablet (not the expensive LCD panel ones) it propably will last a real life.
    Driver support is topNotch as well: we have some very old wacom tablets here at the uni (pre 1996) and there are still drivers available for common OS systems (mac windows)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, well I changed the drivers to these and put a piece of cardboard under the film on the tablet and its like a whole new tablet. Found the info here.

I can now draw circles, lines and everything without having to move the pen at light speed. I wonder why Trust didn't add the card into the design it really makes all the difference.

Figured I would post this incase anyone else is in the same boat as me. This applys to the PENTAGRAM O’pen too seeing as they are basicly the same tablet. Hope this is usefull.

Still going to get something better though. I suppose its good enough to learn on for now.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    If I had to be whore for a particular company, it would be Wacom. In 12 years Ive only ever seen two tablets become unusable, one died when I stupidly yanked the connector off the end of the cable and the other was cursed with some retarded proprietary Apple connector that they decided to drop support for.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yes...It is a piece of shite I'm afraid. Work bought a few a while back and I suffered the jagged lines, etc.

I told the bosses and they sent them back. They were replaced with Pensketch 12"x9"which are about the same price and work pretty good apart from the occasional big of delay. But the drawing is quite smooth and steady.

Nothing compared to my cheap Wacom Graphire though. Advice = spend the extra it well worth it.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Pick up the wacom bamboo small it's great I'm using it at home and work really nice drawing surface only costs 80 bucks.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Wacoms never die.

Even if your forced to replace the cable by hand with a spare camera usb cord, a pocket knife and a battery powered soldering iron.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, did the same as malcom, picked up one of the new black bamboo's for £50, works great, and I was coming from an intuos3 which I used at work.