Home Technical Talk

low poly smoothing problems

hi,

i'm beginning in 3ds max, momentally i'm working on lowpoly character. i've modeled him and detached to a several parts for uvw mapping. after i've added smooth modifier, model looked something like this:

warriorn.th.jpg

as you can see, every detached part is smoothed separatly. i have also tried to assign every part to the one smoothing group but without change, so model is unusable in game... can anyone help me please how to make it smooth? :)

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    did you weld all the new attached vertices? i assume your model is broken up - so there is no way it could smooth correctly ;)
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    When you detach the parts, the vertices become unwelded, hence the sharp edges.

Just unwrap the shit, attach everything back together and weld verts.
  • TributeToMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for advices, its ok now :thumbup:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and detached to a several parts for uvw mapping
    I'm a little curious as to why you detached pieces before unwrapping? Was it so they where easier to select by element? Normally I've only ever done (and seen done) people select faces in the UnwrapUVW editor on the model after the the modifier is applied.

What I do is grab large chunks like the torso or an arm, do a quick planar map and move that group off to the side out of the 0:1 space. That way I can select it by element in the unwrap window without it having to be a separate element on the model. Then later when I get around to doing the arm I have all the pieces I need.

I think the important thing to remember is that the select by element in the UV editor window is different then all the other select by elements. In this case it refers to the UV element which can be a piece of a continuous mesh. If you select a UV element it won't select the entire object just that UV island.

Hope that helps!