Home General Discussion

The new internet code of conduct?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Is it the norm to act like raving b-tards now? The general act like a complete dick but occasionally say LOL to let people know you aren't serious kind of attitude. I think it's gotten out of hand, I started acting that way myself and I had to step back and rethink things.

Replies

• eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    you think too much....
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's funny people think forums are a tangible piece of property they live and breathe in and get offended easily at something on the internet. It's amazing that someone feels they need to go to another forum and call names and start stuff when they don't have any ties to said forum other then being a member.

I never understood the x is better then x site.. so what? For you possibly, I don't shut my mind off and only visit one site, I can learn from many people not just ones that visit (insert) forums. I visit all the 3d forums and can learn from them all, the only bad thing I think comes from it is some more simple minded folks will hold Dreamer and Blenderheads posts as the 'official' voice of Gameartisans.org and of course it is not.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    i resent that Dekard ! lol

i was only having a bit of fun, and wanted a few laughs. Did i really come across as simple minded?
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer: no. but one thread of drama isn't enough
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Reading comprehension is your friend. :D

I wrote... "some more simple minded folks will hold Dreamer and Blenderheads posts as the 'official' voice of Gameartisans.org and of course it is not."

This means in layman's terms that someone possibly visiting polycount and not knowing of Gameartisans.org may think you and Blenderhead speak for the entire site of Gameartisans and may turn off people from going there.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Dreamer: no. but one thread of drama isn't enough

oh lol. he wants MOAR???

wait. lemme do this the PC way...

400px-Needs-moar-drama.jpg
    Dekard wrote: »
    ...someone possibly visiting polycount and not knowing of Gameartisans.org may think you and Blenderhead speak for the entire site of Gameartisans and may turn off people from going there.

oh well.. i never said i was spokesman for the place.
  • Mechadus
    Im with Justin, and lol eld

I joined this board because I want to learn from people much more skilled than I am so that one day I can get a game job. I haven't been posting as many wips as I would like because the flames Ive gotten for some noobish mistakes are so discouraging. I would like it if there was much less drama, and more community spirit, as cheezy as that sounds.

-N
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Mech,

You got flamed for noobish mistakes? Polycount is pretty notorious for it's hard but effective constructive criticisms.

http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=840925&postcount=9 <--If you get a kevin Johnsone telling ya it kicks ass I don't think you got much to worry about. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Mech, the flames are an illusion, you can walk right through them. You can study them and learn from them but they'll never burn ya.

About what this thread is really about:
    I agree I pushed and let things get out of hand, but it is also very possible to read more drama then what is actually there. I really thought a "mini comp, 2 man enter one man leaves" would be a good way to settle things, but I let my inner noob flag fly way to high.
  • Mechadus
    Vig wrote: »
    Mech, the flames are an illusion, you can walk right through them. You can study them and learn from them but they'll never burn ya.

Your totally right about that - this was a LONG time ago when I first had thoughts of leaving architecture for games... Different user name too. Ive grown a lot since then, but it has made me much more aware of what Im showing as well. What doesnt kill me makes me stronger ;) All thats important is that I can learn from the super skilled people on here who I will hopefully be working with soon. If I have to wade through some drama to get to that goal, so be it.

-Nick
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    you're all assholes. i hate you insanely skilled people so much.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Dekard wrote: »
    I think it's funny people think forums are a tangible piece of property they live and breathe in and get offended easily at something on the internet. It's amazing that someone feels they need to go to another forum and call names and start stuff when they don't have any ties to said forum other then being a member.
    I think it's funny that you can't get away with saying stuff on a forum that you can in a real life conversation. People tend to read the comments of others, and imagine them being said in a smug, or hostile tone, completely changing the intent. We type like we would talk, but we lose all the body language and tone of voice that gives everything a proper context.

Then the shit hits the fan because someone interpreted a passive, friendly, comment as an act of war. :poly124::poly121::poly142:
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    People congregating online or off usually leads to drama.. but compared to the rest of the internet, Polycount's drama levels are veryyyy low. In fact most art sites are very low drama because they're more about encouraging constructive criticism and making contacts.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aye true dat, our drama is just for fun pretty much. where's per when you need him to dish out some etiquette
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    everyone takes stuff too seriously these days... that's how you get politically correct fairy tales and germophobes washing their hands ever 30 seconds or worrying that fucking terrorists are out to get THEM, and only THEM at every corner.

Chillax. Shit happens.

btw... that nutsack really is too much. :P

Vig wrote: »
    I agree I pushed and let things get out of hand, but I let my inner noob flag fly way to high.

btw vig, I didn't really see it that way really, but I learned years ago what people say on the interweb mean fuck all if you don't have the character, class or skills/experience to back it up.

It may have turned into a pissing challenge but hey, how else does one prove their worth when confronted?

If someone comes into my house and fucks my wife, mother and sister and tells me that I suck big honkin donkey ball, just to pick a fight, you better believe I'm going to pound the living shit out of him or die trying. The dude better be worth his shit if he thinks he can do it though, otherwise I'm going to work him.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    shhhhh never has a nutsack ever been more deserving ! ;P
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I think eld's post, of penny-arcades comic, hit pretty close to what it is. My answer to Jesse's question of conduct is yeah, acting like a b-tard is the norm for the internet, generally speaking.

But, forum members, from what I've seen, polycount or not, generally only act retarded in retarded situations and with retarded subjects. Otherwise, with art forums, they're busy helping or giving feedback. I think a Dominance War shit-talk thread is definitely place for b-tard comments, but not hateful ones. Pictures of cats are just a way of saying, "I think this thread is retarded"

I'd draw the line at vengeful personal attacks and death threats. If people aren't having fun with it, it's gone too far and it needs to stop, what's the point if it's not fun? Those boundaries are different per person so you just have to becareful not to misjudge joke from maliciousness. Jumping in to intervene can be even worse if it's handled poorly. I think polycounters tend to have thicker skin than most, birds of a feather flock together, type of science. But really, everything will be fine. Next week we'll have the Dom War to focus on. Greener skies ahead.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    That silly thread is a bit embarrassing, because I frequent both forums.

:/

Still unsure of what my allegiance will be this year. GA/CGchat is where I've been for a while, but I think I need fresh perspectives, and fresh critiques on my work if I'm hoping to grow as an artist.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    i dunno i still find the whole thing hilarious.

p.s.
    i have balls for an avatar

lol
  • Gill Bates
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    "Chill Dekard, dont take things so seriously. Relax man."