Home General Discussion

Midway fuckin over the working man.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
Or ex-working man i guess would be more like it.
Don´t know if you´re talking about this somewhere already but yeah.

http://kotaku.com/5162447/midway-offloading-mortal-kombat-and-screwing-former-employees

What the fuck? Any midway-ites here being affected?

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Wow that looks pretty damn horrible.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    wow thats shitty even by my standards
  • [Deleted User]
    That blows. $3.75 million in bonuses to Midway executives seems like giving the pilot of the Titanic a raise. Seeing where it comes from just makes it worse.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a bit harsh...

I'm still stung by Midway after the last MK game. Not only was it naff, but they they pulled the most awesome fatality ever (The jokers joke cun, real shot one), and messed around with it...

Original:

Jokers_fatality.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    gotta love the executive lifestyle...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Fuckers. Hope someone decent picks up Mortal Kombat. Maybe a Japanese developer.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    feckers, learning from the banking trade
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Way to show that corporate responsibility that Obama has been talking about. Hopefully anyone interested in purchasing the MK franchise will be wise enough to wait till the last minute to get it at rock bottom prices. That'll screw over those pinhead execs good. Seriously, wtf.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Fuckers. Hope someone decent picks up Mortal Kombat. Maybe a Japanese developer.

UGH, no thanks, they'll double the boob size, remove fatalities and turn all the men into teenage fem-boys (except Jax, he'll get turned into a hulking man-beast)

Back on topic, that really sucks for the employees :(
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm double the boob size.. mmmm
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somebody please release a game where we can hunt the ceos of the world!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yet another reason why I say fuck you to Midway. Besides ripping my name from 4 titles they are filled with a bunch of pompas assholes that haven't had a fucking clue about game development since the PS2 days. So many guys hanging around with nothing to do cause they can't do current gen content but they are kept because they are buddies with Ed "Ba" Boon.

I hate to see people get screwed like this but that is how Midway was. Good fucking riddance.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    damnnnn. Someone is bitter, lol.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Codeman wrote: »
    Somebody please release a game where we can hunt the ceos of the world!

You can play that already. It's called "Are You a CEO? -- PUNCH YOU IN THE NUTZ"
    It's fun and completely mobile. You can take it with you wherever you go!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax wrote: »
    damnnnn. Someone is bitter, lol.

I wouldn't say bitter but when these guys are a bunch of douchebags and when you go in there and work for them for a certain position and then 4 months down the road they turn around and say well technically your a "blah blah" but really you aren't.

Yeah fuck that. Good luck to anyone that is still there but seriously would you still be on the Titanic when it was already halfway sunk? No you wouldn't. Get the fuck off the boat. It's sinking.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    UGH, no thanks, they'll double the boob size, remove fatalities and turn all the men into teenage fem-boys (except Jax, he'll get turned into a hulking man-beast)

Japanese developer does not = Square Enix. There are loads of other good ones out there. Played Street Fighter IV yet?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japanese developer does not = Square Enix. There are loads of other good ones out there. Played Street Fighter IV yet?

simmer down there Strega Nona, I'm not a fan of Street Fighter and I would not want to see a Street Fighter-ish MK. Also, square wasn't my first thought, it was mostly ATLUS, SNK etc..
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just read that article, crazy stuff with the bonuses. Similar bonus bullshit with a couple of banks in UK.

If only the management put some of that money back into the company on a new IP maybe the company could make a comeback... seems the name Midway now is probably too tarnished to be worth saving now though I think.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    It really should be illegal for any management bonus at all considering the employees aren't even receiving the compensation they worked for.

/me upgrades punch to potato gun and adjusts range for 1 meter
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Midway is great. After 3 years they release TNA impact and it makes other games in the genre from 1992 look state of the art.

Midway Early 2008: This is great. We mo-capped over 2000 moves, and took inspiration from all the best games in the genre. This will be the best game ever.

DELAY + Long period of Silence

Midway Fall 2008: Ugh guys, we were only able to get about ten moves in. So yeah, everyone has the same ten moves, even the moves they don't do in real life. All those features we promised are cut. The DLC roster has been cut, instead you can download the play by play guys, and they will hang your console if you try to use them! .... in fact, if you want the truth, we trashed the game, and imported a few of the guys into Mortal Kombat Armageddon, then we reskinned the logo! Have fun, we're never going to mention this game again...

I think they hold the record for the first time a company previewed a highly awaited game and turned away 95% of their target audience.

It's like finally bringing home Street Fighter 4, and it played like a golf game where everyone has Dhalsim's moves.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    simmer down there Strega Nona, I'm not a fan of Street Fighter and I would not want to see a Street Fighter-ish MK. Also, square wasn't my first thought, it was mostly ATLUS, SNK etc..

Namco could probably do it justice. Tekken 6 is extremely fucking popular here (I play it once a day and still have to wait a good 20 mins to get a seat)

no metro sexual square-enix homo boys in this.

bob_tekken6.jpg

;)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well at least they're not screwing over the MK team on royalty bonuses (supposedly)...
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Hawken those pants = gay.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Is Mortal Kombat actually worth anything? 5$ and a ham sandwhich?

We actually had this convo on the midway boards last year, and most people agreed with me, even though they were big MK fans. They killed all the continuity, and made too many subpar games in a row, that no one cares about the franchise.

It got by on the blood gimmick in 1993, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's a very shallow game, with every character being the exact same gameplay wise. The other thing that made it cool was the characters, and the hidden mythology in the game, but they screwed the pooch on that because they continually retcon everything.

What? You liked that character. Nevermind what we said before. He's alive. He'll be back.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MK sells 2 million copies everytime it releases. That's a lot of revenue. Plus there's all of the ancillary licensing: comics, action figures, movies, etc.

These days, $15million to $20 million deals are inked for way shittier, one off titles; I bet they could sell MK for $35 odd million?

I haven't been a fan of the game for some time. It would be nice to see a reboot.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Mortal Kombat peaked with MKII. That was a brilliant game with just enough depth and a kick ass combo system. I'm sure they can still sell the franchise for a good hunk.

That doesn't change the fact that they're a bunch of cock smokers, though.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: I dunno, Namco has made Soul Calibur more anime-ish with every iteration.

I just hope a western company picks up MK with a mind to fix it and not milk it for cash.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So looks like they will have another MK releasing this fall. Q4 2009. I'm sure it will be great considering they ditched most of the decent artists that worked on it.

Ed Baboon will get about a million dollars for his involvement because they didn't want him to leave. Seriously? A million.

http://kotaku.com/5163271/midway-to-keep-paying-mortal-kombat-creator-to-make-new-mortal-kombat
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    With the economy the way it is, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of this from the big wigs of ALOT of companies...not just gaming. It's a shame man. The corporate world works so much differently then I'm wired. I hate screwing people over...it's just amazing these people can sleep at night.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse, surely you can't begrudge Boon for what he has earned. The man has made hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars for Midway over the years. If anything, I say he deserves more.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anoon wrote: »
    Jesse, surely you can't begrudge Boon for what he has earned. The man has made hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars for Midway over the years. If anything, I say he deserves more.

In the past no. Sure he has but with the way Midway is doing and screwing other employees I don't think this is the time to be giving guys million dollar bonuses.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I certainly do not condone the recent PTO/executive bonus debacle, but Boon has no say in that. He made those deals prior, and they deserve to be honored. It is just crappy that the rank and file are getting the short end of the stick. I still have a number of friends over there.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I certainly do not condone the recent PTO/executive bonus debacle, but Boon has no say in that.

Are you f'in kidding me, dude? Of course he does. Hundreds of people are getting screwed over so you can make an extra million- they are losing their homes and going into debt and forced to do who knows what, so you can get an extra million goddamn dollars- and that isn't your fault? Of course he has a say- "Don't give me this bonus, pay out what you already promised what you would pay out, which is also the ethical and just thing to do." That is what his say should be. How can you possibly absolve this spineless rat of any responsibility?

I stay out of these Midway threads usually because, frankly, anyone that stayed around I felt either knew what was coming or this would at least teach them a lesson, no empathy from me for that. But this sort of theft (and then the defense of it!), was just too much.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I really do not want this turning into a flame war because I have a lot of respect for both Jesse and Rob, but I feel the need to try and put my response in perspective...

Rob, first you ask if it is Boon's fault that people are losing their homes and going into debt. If that is actually happening to people, it really is a terrible, terrible thing. BUT, I still don't see how that would be Boon's fault.

You are trying to tie that to the second issue, which is that of Boon's compensation package that was part of his contract of employment. He is entitled to it. It is a totally seperate issue from the fact that people are losing their homes. (If in fact they are. I haven't heard such reports as of yet.)

Now, what DOES seem to be totally F'd up from my perspective is that the execs that drove the company into the ground are paying themselves bonuses while the rank and file are being screwed out of a their PTO. That is just wrong, wrong, WRONG.

Boon is a contributing employee, just like the other developers. He is entitled to the terms of his employment, just as the other guys are. It is wrong that the "little guys" are getting screwed out of their PTO, no doubt. But why does he have to take it on the chin and fork over what he earned for his co-workers? It is not his responsibility, the onus is on the execs to fulfill the promises that they made with the other guys. Is it the amount of money at stake? What if Boon was only owed $1500? Would you suggest that he forfeit that?

Anyway, like I said, I am not looking for a flame war. Just trying to explain my perspective.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    The anus is on the execs to fulfill the promises that they made with the other guys.

Fixed.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    just read the Kotaku article and this thread. What a buncha motherfuckin cocksuckers. Jesse you have good reason to be bitter n pissed, I would if I had to go thru that bullshit. I hope those assholes selling off the company and screwing over their employees so they can get their bonuses burn in a house fire. Hearin shit like this brings my piss to a boil

Woo! k had to get that out of me...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I got one of those awesome letters last week. And then to see this thread is even more awesome.

After getting hired on and then let go 3 months later, selling almost all of my crap, and doing a 1200 mile drive twice down to Texas (one for each car I own) I should have an ear full for you guys. But I don't have that much to say. All I can do is use what's pissing me off to do something positive.

As a note: I am not pissed off at the team I was on. They were/are great guys and I was lucky to have worked with them. Even knowing this was gonna happen, we all worked our fucking asses off doing 100 hour weeks till the last day. You only do that shit when you actually care about what the fuck you're doing. It was nothing they could have done short of robbing a bank (which we should have done... 30 guys in clown masks or Point Break President masks.).

To be clear, I am angry at corporate irresponsibility and lack of accountability and seemingly being untouchable and still rewarded for it. This is across all industries.
  • Xenobond
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    New info on the midway-affair.
    http://kotaku.com/5191320/midway-in-trouble-over-dodgy-executive-bonuses
    (links to this page: http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/03/feds-creditors-call-proposed-midway-executive-bonuses-outrageous-disingenuous.html )

I like this part.

""Senior management should not be paid incentive bonus payments... to perform duties required to be performed by their obligations under the Bankruptcy Code.""
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    typical exec bullshit , no wonder the world is in the shitter with people who apparently have no moral values and are complete greedy fucks are in charge of everything. oh well. best of luck for the ex employees , like if getting laid off wasnt enough, now some buttrape to accompany it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anything comes of this, I hope the industry shakes off the people that came to it because they smelled money and never really cared about making games. I swear we get all the money junkies that washout of wall street then turn around and expect them to not screw us over as we pass wads and wads of money across their desk.

These guys are trained to exact the maximum amount of cash from every transaction they possibly could, of course they're going to try one last grab at the last big pile of money they'll ever see. With the crap they've pulled and how notorious they are in our incredibly small industry, they know "they'll never work in this town again".

I think we should put 1k of singles in paper sack, tell them its 100k then lock them all in cage with 29 various melee weapons and let them battle it out. We could sell tickets and the profits could go toward a new start up run by ex-midway employees who got the shaft.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Vig for President of the World 2010!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I was once told at art college that if you are looking to get in to art to make money then you are

in the wrong profession.

Ironically the tutor who told me this was wearing a top hat and tails, smoking a big cigar and

had a monkey butler.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It is absolutely terrible how greedy some of these people can be.

seriously, just fucking drop your quality of life by one Mercedes a month and that's enough money to support people in your company that need it. They act like they NEED this extra money. Get off it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This shit doesn't surprise me. After working there and seeing how things are handeled and run. Well I don't think I need to give examples because this type of stuff sums it up nicely.

The people in charge never cared about the quality of their games. They were just in it for a quick buck and obviously even in bankruptcy their attitudes will not change.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    "In a survey prepared by the Committee's financial advisor, FTI Consulting, of compensation plans proposed in some twenty comparable bankrupcty cases in recent years, the Proposed Plan is, by far, the richest compensation plan that has been proposed, despite the unusually poor conditions of the current economy

wow.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I am personaly waiting for some of these nut jobs that go into resturaunts and retirement homes and kill people. To start taking out some of the greedy pieces of shit's, as that will make more sense to me, and maybe make them think twice about destroying peoples lives for a litlle bit more money.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark wrote: »
    I am personaly waiting for some of these nut jobs that go into resturaunts and retirement homes and kill people. To start taking out some of the greedy pieces of shit's, as that will make more sense to me, and maybe make them think twice about destroying peoples lives for a litlle bit more money.

Honestly I am surprised that more people that have lost everything haven't done this. Or gone into wall street or whatever. I wouldn't want it to happen but these ass hats at Midway don't give a damn about anything except their own needs.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    It's sort of happened here a few times in California. Sadly some are killing themselves and taking their families with them since they see no other alternatives.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    odd how this comes up in the midway thread.