Home Technical Talk

environment uber shader request?

Replies

• Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allert polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Brice, just to let you know, I'm a huge fan of this shader! As far as suggestions go, I'd really like to see the possibility to connect material nodes, not just diffuse/normal/spec maps. Is this at all possible in the foreseeable future ? Or am I too picky wanting to have this... Oh, and also, just to be absolutely certain, is it ok to use this shader for commercial projects? Anyway, keep up the amazing work, i'm curious to see your next shader/project!
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    Hello and thanks for you support hehe :)
    Unfortunately I don't really know anything about maya material nodes. But for what I can see it is very limited in the viewport. It seems the tree is calculated at render time. If I apply a procedural checker as a color it won't show up in the viewport even in highquality mode (which is basically maya's own cgfx). So it seems maya doesn't output anything in realtime I could display in the shader. If anyone has more information about this it'd be interesting :)

You can see the licence i've been using for the shader here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
    There's nothing against commercial use :) it'd be nice to know about it if anything ships using it, but there's nothing I could claim IP for obviously ;)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i am really busy right now other wise i would have tried this shader already ... first i want to say i am blown away by all the test images i see here in the thread i think you are doing an OUTSTANDING job on this custom shader =)

does it by any chance support additive/multiplicative/multiplyX2 scene blending transparency ?

that is like the number 1 thing i am missing from all the custom shaders out there its such a simple thing but nobody cares to support it. you would do me a HUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE favor if your shader would get support for that =)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like I am gonna DL this :)!! Looks badass :D!!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey Brice, I tried baking a lightmap from a model with this shader applied but the lightmap comes up completely black. Can this be fixed or do cgfx shader not support mental ray baking?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Excuse my ignorance, I'm just now seeing this thread and looking for shaders. But is there something like this for max kicking around the net somewhere?
  • Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Brice,

while busy kicking out amazing sceneries with your shader, I was wondering though, wouldn't it be a good idea to include a relief map and BRDF slots to the shader. Sort of like, combining the GenericBRDF- and TerrainBlend shader into one? That would really be awesome. Anyway, as always, keep it up!

Allert

EDIT: i tried to use this shader at work (gamecompany) to pre-vis some stuff, but it looks like the shader uses the cgFX code from maya2008 and up? cuz we still use 7.0 at work, I couldn't really get it to work. I'd really appreciate it if you could make it backwards-compatible. Just a side-request. Give my regards to Bjorn Eriksson at CCP! we went to the same art-academy in Rotterdam. Cheers
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello everyone :)

@warby: I'm not sure all blending states are supported. I remember playing around to get transparency working so it might be possible. But don't underestimate the ability of maya cgfx plugin to be buggy on every single feature ;) that's something I'd like too, I'll look into it.

@malcom: you indeed need a regular maya shader to bake a light map, but you can easily map the 'hardware shading' of that shader to a cgfx shader. The renderer will then use the blinn or lambert shader and the real time display in the viewport will be the cgfx one.

@Allert: I was thinking about making a blend relief mapping, but one of the problem is that it only works well on flat surfaces. It would need somehow of a precomputing to store curvature to use it on an arbitrary mesh. This is atm far beyond my knowledge sorry :)
    Btw I'm not really sure what could cause incompatibility with an older maya, but there's a ton of mysterious problems around there so could you check on the same machine with 2008? could you be more precise about the problem?
    I'm not working at ccp anymore, but you can contact Börkur at borkur at ccpgames.com (the email is on his website so i guess i can spread it :P)

cheers
  • Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brice,

thanks for the quick respone. Too bad the relief shader is so picky, but i somehow managed to get pretty good results with terrain and overhangs/. Basically, i'm kind of mis-using the relief shader to get some nifty fake refraction, like with ice and stuff, it would be cool to blend like an ice-wall to a more snowy wall/floor with your terrainshader... So, its basically nothing more than an impuls request. So no worries :)

485957933_6_BjID.jpeg

here's 2 screenshots of both the cgfx shader in maya 7.0 and the 2008 one. I think its because maya 7.0 refers to it as 'shader mesh data' (and misses most of its semantics), whereas maya2008 (Vertex Data) has all the semantics in place. Hope this helps, though let me know if you need more specifics :)

Allert
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Allert it'd be nice to have screen of that effect you achieved with relief mapping (animation? even better!), maybe there's something specific that can be done there :) I was thinking of doing surface covered in crystal gems with relief, maybe that's something similar :)

About backward compatibility there's several things there:
    maya 7 don't use properly the 'UIName' value and instead use the name of the variable in the interface. It might be a bit more confusing (usually names are way shorter and abbreviated but that's still the same action).
    Same problem goes with vertex data. Maya 7 keeps the regular names (every vertex data that is not the normal, color or position is treated as a uv set). You can find out the real usage of those (the names displayed in maya2008 ) by looking at the source code (you can't escape the code!).
    A shader is not very long and vertex data look pretty specific. here's the ones i use in the blend cgfx.

struct vIN
    {
    float4 Position : POSITION;
    half3 Normal : NORMAL;
    half4 Color : COLOR0;
    half2 TexCoord : TEXCOORD0;
    half3 Tangent : TEXCOORD1;
    half3 Bitangent : TEXCOORD2;
    half4 Blend : TEXCOORD3;
    half2 TexCoord2 : TEXCOORD4;
    };
  • mikool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firstly, awesome work Brice, this shader is amazing.
    ive been fiddling around with the terrain blending and am getting really nice results, but ive been reading through this thread and a few others and see examples of this shader being used with baked vertex occlusion. can anyone share some info on how to set this up, i can bake ao to vertex, but have no idea how to have this show over the top of the terrain textures.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mikool,

go to your custom polygon display options, and be sure to set:

Color: enabled
    Color material channel: Diffuse
    Material blend setting: Overwrite

and hit Apply/Apply and Close

now in your viewport hit '6' to go to textured mode, and '7' to see the texture with vertex colors. Each time you change the vertex AO, you need to go to the CPD window and hit apply again.

I have some mel buttons that automate this process a bit. let me know if you're interested.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oups sorry for the delay.... Don't forget to link the vertex color set into the vertex data of the cgfx shader :)
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for this awesome shader:)
  • ShineSun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi forum dwellers,
    I have a little problem with the shader... its being disobedient to all my mouse clicks and maps...I do not know why i have all the settings and color sets done and its just wont look the way it should..
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic shader, but I'm having issues with it in Maya 2011, getting the error, "object 'rbgtechnique1' not found"