Home General Discussion

F.E.A.R. 2 is out!!

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    I was planning to buy this game but after playing the demo, I now have second thoughts..

I wonder if they fixed the screen in the full version? The screen was kind of squased vertically in the demo (at least for me). Or not really squashed but it looked like it was in "cinematic mode" like a widescreen movie on a non-widescreen tv.

Is this fixed in the full version of the game? Or is this only happening to me?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I watched a video review, and there were a lot of things I didn't like about it (compared to the original). Edge obviously doesn't agree; it was awarded an 8, one point ahead of Killzone 2 this month.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    corv, i can't remember but im fairly sure thats just an 'this is an intro section' type of effect
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This games pretty fuckin creepy. I mostly get creeped out by the guys that crawl around all over the place and are all twitchy... those bastards...

I wonder if they fixed the screen in the full version? The screen was kind of squased vertically in the demo (at least for me). Or not really squashed but it looked like it was in "cinematic mode" like a widescreen movie on a non-widescreen tv.

Um, to answer your question, I play at 1680x1050 and my screen has the black bars. But I really don't even notice them and it doesn't really bother me.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Beat it and loved it! This far surpassed the first game so excellent job everyone who worked on it!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Corv, the whole game is wide screen. It was a choice we had to make. It was either make it look great on widescreen TV's/monitors, Or make it look soso on any monitor. If you play it on a 16x9 TV/monitor it looks wonderful and well worth having the black bars on 3x4 TV's and monitors.

I'll try and get some screenshots of a few of the things i worked on. One thing that i can point out now though is that the alma tree/swing is mine. I had no idea how much it was going to get used...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i really liked fear 1, played the demo like 30 times over. some years later, this sequel suffers greatly from redundancy and lack of originality. how many times --
    a) ill be fighting personality-less swat team ppl? (not to mention their heads were a blatant half-life 2 rip off)
    b) see a little child with long messy hair walking like a zombie holding a teddy bear? come on.
    c) be asked to rejoin the god damn squad??? why can't they ever rejoin with me?! bah!

that aside, it was pretty cool. not so interesting to make me wonna play it more.
    you need:
    a) smarter AI so i cant ambush 50 of them from a single camping point
    b) create more interesting, non-linear fighting scenarios / environments,. the whole demo was 'forward'.
    c) and most importantly: have good shotgun reload animation (it sucked)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i thought that about the hl2 head, but I kinda wondered if it was a nod rather than a rip off? the bit with all the soldier pods getting ferried about was kinda like that citadel bit. and there were the creepy crawly dude strapped in the chair was a bit like the stalkers
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I haven't beat it yet but I am finding that Monolith may have been inspired a bit by the Half Life series, and COD4. It's still a great game and I am SO glad that each level isn't filled with office cubicles, but still, the environments are really repetitive. They are definitely changing things up in FEAR 2 but as always, I still expect more. More of everything. I'm still playing it though and for the most part, I like it. I traded in Gears of War for this so, I think it was a good decision.

Anyone play Multiplayer yet? I haven't tried it out. I always wait until I beat the single player campaign before I check out multiplayer mode.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing the game now. Incredible job on the enviros. Not alot of variety in the enemies so far.

The story is just as hard to follow as before. The FPS aspects are greatly improved. The level design is pretty fun, but the blurry vision thing gets old pretty quick.
  • psychoticprankster
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    F.E.A.R. 2 is out! Go pick up a copy and support a fellow polycounter!!

F.E.A.R. 2 is my first published title. I'll try and post up some of the art i did for it in the pimping and previews section next week.

I can't believe its done... W00T!!
    I just picked up your game. I'm enjoying it so far
    .my only complaint is not enough multi player maps. 3 maps Isn't enough!
    and I have a feeling that any others will be DLC, people will have to pay for :P
    Congrats on the games release.:)

Psychotic Prankster
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished the game. As a side note, I have played all the other incarnations of FEAR as well. I thought the original was great and in my opinion is still the best by far for thrills.

Here are my thoughts:

1 Awesome enviro work, but levels have lots of repetition - still fun though. Somebody went nuts with the consoles and illuminaton maps!

2. The character art is ok, but unoriginal, the animations often clunky. More often better characters in the forums then I saw in game. Only a few enemies - which are dumber then bricks.

3, The FPS is better than previous versions, but still pales in comparison to other games like Halo, Fallout3

4. Not really scary at all. The hole Alma is a spooky ghost you keep seeing out fo the corner of your eye is old after interval 02. Just not scary at all. The only truly successful scares are cheap - throw the cat at the screen - effects. But the enviros have a quality that does help set the tone.

5. EMP suit was a cool idea wasted on poor level design. Just could have been so much cooler.

6. WAY TOO SHORT - finished it in a couple of evenings.

But fun none the less. I would love to see behind the scenes on the amazing enviros.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "3, The FPS is better than previous versions, but still pales in comparison to other games like Halo, Fallout3"

Halo yeah sure i could see that, but fallout3 the fuck?! But really i don't get that comment at all...
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This game has the best action sequences to date in a FPS. There's a barrage of shit that happens before during and after (all in slow mo if you want) and leaves you with a HUGE OMFG WTF BBQ!!! after every fightfight.

God the first time I shot a dude in between the eyes with a Hammerhead, the pin to the wall.... but they're not DONE... the cadaver is emptying the remainder of his clip while violently twitching the last of its life away.

There's random stuff to blow up during the fight, the AI is easily the best I'd seen in a game; Crazy flanking patterns, voice chatting between the replicas. They throw a grenade at me to flood me out into the open, and then shoot a fire extinguisher behind me to stun/flashbang me, before moving in together. Really felt like I was playing REAL people, and not some dumb AI.

I think the areas that FEAR 2 was lacking in, made up for with ridiculous amounts of immersion into the firefights.

It is a bit short. But I LOVED the EMP suit. Just felt that part was a bit too easy. I don't think I ever went below 75% health for those parts.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "3, The FPS is better than previous versions, but still pales in comparison to other games like Halo, Fallout3"

Halo yeah sure i could see that, but fallout3 the fuck?! But really i don't get that comment at all...

Sorry I meant Gears 2 and typed Fallout3
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i was pretty sure it was a typo. I was trying to figure out why anyone would compare fallout3 as a FPS... I was like, man this apple doesn't taste anywhere near like that grape.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    haha i was pretty sure it was a typo. I was trying to figure out why anyone would compare fallout3 as a FPS... I was like, man this apple doesn't taste anywhere near like that grape.

http://www.grapplefruits.com/
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit you just blew my mind!!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    chinese pears are where it's at btw
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Bought it, beat it, loved it.

Holy fuck, TGZ, mad props to you and the rest of the FEAR 2 team. Seriously, I hope that ending alludes to another sequel, cause goddamn that was intense. This wasn't 'scary for the sake of being scary', this was 'scary to freak you out and move the story forward'; Hollywood and other game companies could learn a thing or two from you guys. Much like I said in regards to the first FEAR, props to the designers for spreading the extra info in well placed but not spoon feed intel tidbits.

Now... where's the Shogo 2 announcement?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I am nearly done and really enjoying it, TGZ. Mad props to the you and the team.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I beat the game a while back and enjoyed most of it, but the ending for me ruined it... I was disappointed I'm sorry to say. I enjoyed Condemned 1 and 2 alot more. But the art in F.E.A.R 2 was really cool, and the game ran very well. Definitely had some creepy moments.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when will the guys that worked on fear2 post their work?

i wann see some eye candy
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bitmap,
    haha when i get off my ass and do some renders... What i'm lazy?!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interrupting to tell that "Alma" literally means "Don't buy" in Turkish lol When I saw the ads for the first time I thought it said "Don't buy F.E.A.R again!" for a moment.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to seeing some renders of the awesome work too!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bitmap,
    haha when i get off my ass and do some renders... What i'm lazy?!

and im the mexican one lolo
  • Thegodzero
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter

DOOOOOOOD!!!!!!! That is simply the greatest song ever.

Can you get me an MP3 of that shit?

LMFAO at the Mini ATC getting tea-bagged on the sponge.
  • Thegodzero
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

update your folio already! jeez!
    lazy :P
    oh wait. thats me. :P*
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well until i do will this work?

Well i did most the art for his map, mainly not the backboard (just painted in its emmisive and text) This one is by far my favorite map.
    thumb1280x1280_3352318096_868154fbed_o.jpg

This one i did the army men, the rocks, twigs, leaves, and plastic anything.
    thumb1280x1280_3351492683_3d9c7ea68d_o.jpg