Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Electric Demise

hey guys. started another environment with a couple of friends.

heres the concept by John Wallin, hes a great concept artist. http://www.johnwallin.net/site/main.html

ele.jpg

heres some progress we've made so far. only worked a few days on it.

this is the highpoly of the electric chair thats going to be in the scene. I used X-Convicts material tutorial, its pretty cool. gonna get the camera to move in closer to it to appreciate the details.

ElectricChair_Render.jpg

my friend already made a wooden chair, the pillar and arch.

heres a shot of the scene in UE3 so far. very early stages.

Render01.jpg

Replies

• deazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start ! My only crit would be to fit to the artwork proportions. The archs in the background seems to be too thick regarding the reference.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    Good work so far! I have to agree with deazar, the archways are a bit too thick.

maybe tweak the doorframe in the background (the one next to the electric chair) and position it in a way so it is "framed" by the extends of that window in front of it, that'll make the composition more interesting.

but the electric chair itself is really good. Only thing I would add is a bit of wear and tear to it, like scratches in the wood etc.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, the chair in the middle of the picture on its side looks like its floating though. Fix it if you want to ever see the red ball again. Show some wires on that badboy electric chair.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the concept work! Keep it coming.So you gonna build all the high meshes first?

Vj
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    nice work man, I agree about the arches though.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    ooo. ill be watching this. nice textures so far.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kelvin tam, meet kelvin tan.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol wow hi brother
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey. got an update. i finished the lowpoly projection on the electric chair. so hard. i had to divide it up into a lot of pieces to get it to bake correctly. such a pain.

Tri count is at....2884

Electricchair_Render04.jpg

Electricchair_Render03.jpg

ElectricChair_Render02.jpg
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disappointed

jk the projection came out nice. Texture it up!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH NOEZ!!! i forgot to do an overall ambient occlusion pass nooooooooooo
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    You have some weird smoothing errors in the chair man, but besides that, it looks pretty nice :)

I wants to see moar!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i know. it pisses me off. but im at the point where i dont care anymore. i dont think theyre super jump out at your face noticeably so i'll let them be for now. maybe the diffuse/spec will tone them down. thanks though. moar will come!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    00Zero wrote: »
    yea i know. it pisses me off. but im at the point where i dont care anymore. i dont think theyre super jump out at your face noticeably so i'll let them be for now. maybe the diffuse/spec will tone them down. thanks though. moar will come!

Excellent chair. I have a problem with smoothing errors too. You just have to make the best of it. Besides once you texture it you barely notice those errors in a still shot, but in game you might have some problems.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    i think i found a fix for this soft normal thing.
    on the lowpolygon model **slightly** harden your normals, if your using maya go to normals>set normal angle and try to get a number where the hard edges are just starting to disappear. then generate your normal map.
    i had this issue with my last model and found this cleared it all up nicely.

then again i think a texture would cover it nicely enough
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Your progress on this so far is excellent! I agree with everyone else about the smoothing errors. If you can match the texture and lighting work as the concept, you have a killer piece on your hands! Keep it up!
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Great job on the electric chair, I love the look of the padded seat.

That made me think, why would they even put a pad on a electric chair? To make it more comfortable? Guy is about to be fried with electricity, but at least his but is comfortable before hand... It's like swabbing the area with alcohol before inserting a needle used for lethal injection.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey nice chair zero, I think I might know a way to fix the normal smoothing problems. I'll show you tomorrow in demo(may not work).
    Love the hp model.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Here are some renders of my high poly models
    ChairHP1.jpg
    PillarHP1.jpg
    ArchHP1.jpg
    LockerHP1.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    98% done texturing the chair. I just have to tweak the metal bits and maybe work on the leather. The spec isnt showing through that well. Im using a directX shader with a reflection cubemap. but it only supports 1 light and it was my first time using a directX mat so the spec looks very weak.

what do you guys think?

Electricchair_Render06.jpg

i used this as reference.

reference03.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I would say that you can push it quite a bit more. Since you are going for a really dirty atmosphere, you can dirty it up alot more. I would add some dirt and grime where it would gather in all the corners, etc. I'd suggest making another pass on the wood aswell, right now its rather uniform. Try adding slight color differences, some more dirt and wear. The leather could also have more contrast and variation in it, etc :) just my two cents.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    I think old sparky came out nice! Now make the cap that goes on the head ;)

As for the leather on the seat, well you could add some poop and piss stains, I mean those guys get diapers on because they tend to let everything go once the eletricity hits. But maybe after many, many uses some stuff leaks trough. Sooo...maybe some slight stains like that.

(yeah, maybe weird, but its about history and authenticity peeps! :) )
  • Pedro Amorim
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Zero, I think the textures look pretty damn good. But I think it is a little too clean for our scene. In the concept looks like the place has been left alone and messed up for quite some time. So I think there should be a little bit of overall grime on it, shit n piss stains, and maybe even nail scratches at the end/corners of the arm rests.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey peeps.

so heres an update on our scene. the only asset i made for this scene was the electric chair, the tiles, and the little rubble pieces. partner made the rest. but i put them all into unreal and did all the lighting and materials and stuff.

anyway. i think i can push it a lot more.

render06.jpg

render07.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The original concept is a lot busier; theres a lot more damage on the walls, more props etc throughout the scene.

I like your lighting so far but don't leave the area past the arch black, the concept has a door there and it would be cool to stick to it as much as you can as it all works really well. You can definately push the brightness a bit too, start to get some bloom (not too much though!) from those bulbs.

If the chair is the focal point of the scene, you might want to change your composition slightly. As it stands it's in the middle of the image slightly to the right, maybe bring it up so it sits on a third and draws more attention. Lighting it a bit brighter could give it more focus too.

It's coming along well, keep it up :)
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    The wall texture might need some pushing, seeing as how in the concept, it seems busier. Although you could probably make some decals and put those to use in the editor and add some random blotches and what not.

And yeah, it probably needs to have a little more brightness. That back area is pitch black and in the concept, there's some stuff going on there so I'd work with that area and also add the bookcase. Also, it looks like you've got those cables running along the wall above the windows, but it's hard to notice them.

I don't think this involves the lighting, but the broken glass on the windows should be more noticeable as well. It's hard to tell that there's any of it in the first shot. You could probably make the broken pieces bigger and that would help the glass pop out more.

It's coming through though...just push it more like you said!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the glass tile in the electric chair room very convincing material. Would love to see the shader/spec setup for that one.

Where you've taken this shot from seems like the room is a lot bigger than in the original concept.

Can't wait to see it finished!