• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    the extended trailer looks awesome but, iunno im not really feeling the lighting in the game it looks so bland. but i know its going to be awesome to play.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    if anyone can push the a system to it boundaries its Sony Santa Monica. GoW2 definitely proved that.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    arshlevon wrote: »

Does he have to viciously stab literally every living thing he comes across? Seems to me not stabbing that bird would be a good idea generally. :D

Never played God of War...maybe I'll pick up the old ones and see what they are like.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Does he have to viciously stab literally every living thing he comes across? Seems to me not stabbing that bird would be a good idea generally. :D

I was thinking the same thing, He sure does love his stabbing.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    The pictures are weak. Glossy doom 3 surfaces, boring light and bloom killing it. God of war 2 looked better, kind of. The composition, the usage of bright and dark, glossy and unglossy surfaces was a lot better in the ps2 ones.

The trailer looks much better, but again, the light is pretty boring.
    I'm a huge god of war fan and i'm looking forward to this game, but I expected more.
    The gameplay will be awesome though :D
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    @ Kratos: Why so serious? You're wearing metallic lion's heads for boxing gloves for crying out loud. There's so much cheese in this trailer it makes me uncomfortable to watch it.

Totally agree about the stabbing of innocent forest creatures too.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    But you know through the entire 2nd half of the trailer all that was on his mind was "damn, forgot to stab that crow" :p
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    trailer looked ace but the pics were souless
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what's with the 1 wing? is he trying to be sephiroth now?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty awesome :)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    FUCKING AWESOME
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    hey guys.. it's still a year off. I think they'll address your lighting issues :P

remember how good gow2 looked?

yep
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea the screens seemed a bit underwhelming but Im sure it will shape up niceley, if you read the 4 pager on IGN about what they got to see, Stig Asmussen has apparently stepped up to direct the game, he was the art director of GoW 2, itll be intersting to see how it turns out. Apparently the trailer was also created using ingame assets obviously scripted and animated and not at all gameplay footage though.

Im stoked for this, God of War is my favortie game series and I am craaaaavin more tales of high adventure :D
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I have no problem with his stabbing as long as they make a fun game out of it. It's what God of War is about, right :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Boohoo, Kratos is killing the poor cute forest creatures.
    thataintnobirdcv4.jpg
    You bunch of hippies :p
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    thataintnobirdcv4.jpg

Yeah I was about to say. Did you mean the harpies?!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pimp as hell but I agree the lighting hopefully will be fixed before release.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Jackablade wrote: »
    thataintnobirdcv4.jpg

Aww, look at the cute little birdy. :)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe those are on the endangered species list as well. Kratos is a fucking asshole.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshots: gah bloomy mess, probably some hackass marketing guy thinking his retouches are teh awesome.
    Trailer: What AZ said.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The visual direction looks really.... basic.

The bloom, bland enemy design, lack of color and spotty contrast makes it so unpolished. Specially when you compare it to other big graphical hit games that have recently released new shots like Tekken 6, FFXIII or Resident Evil 5.

Yeah. All completely different games with different goals. But you can't argue that Tekken and Final Fantasy have a MUCH higher image fidelity than GoW3.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL wrote: »
    Yeah. All completely different games with different goals. But you can't argue that Tekken and Final Fantasy have a MUCH higher image fidelity than GoW3.

But I can argue that GoW 3 has a MUCH better design, gameplay and fun factor than yet another stupid fighter (are we really not completely done with this genre yet?) or a lame ass round based combat JRPG :p

God of War 1 and 2 looked fucking amazing, given they were both PS2 games, but it was the kick ass story and gameplay that really put that game over the top and is the primary reason I will be buying a PS3 only to play GoW 3.

BTW - looking at the screen grabs I agree with your assessment of the visuals, but the actual gameplay trailer is so completely bad ass ... I think seeing everything in motion is what has people excited, not a few crappy images.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    SouL wrote: »
    Tekken 6

ermm, hope you're not talking about the new tekken 6 shots.

god those look bleh. :(
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I lost interest in God Of War. I loved the first few levels, but then it stopped being a great Devil May Cry clone, and turned into a bad platformer near the end. The last 2 levels were bad for this.

"Jump up this spinning column with a bad camera angle, while your character is barely visible in the title safe region, and the controls suddenly go from very good to impossible!"

I just want to run around and beat the shit out of bad guys.

Also, I'd rather beat bosses myself, rather than pressing a button to watch a long animation of Kratos doing some over the top stuff.

This is why I enjoyed Conan much more. It was mostly only combat, and didn't have all the backtracking of DMC, or the mixed in genres of GOW.
  • Geta-Ve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geta-Ve polycounter lvl 7
    Daaark wrote: »
    I lost interest in God Of War. I loved the first few levels, but then it stopped being a great Devil May Cry clone, and turned into a bad platformer near the end. The last 2 levels were bad for this.

"Jump up this spinning column with a bad camera angle, while your character is barely visible in the title safe region, and the controls suddenly go from very good to impossible!"

I just want to run around and beat the shit out of bad guys.

Also, I'd rather beat bosses myself, rather than pressing a button to watch a long animation of Kratos doing some over the top stuff.

This is why I enjoyed Conan much more. It was mostly only combat, and didn't have all the backtracking of DMC, or the mixed in genres of GOW.

LOL, levels?! You've just discredited yourself completely.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a huge God of War fan, but I can help but feel like this game lacks so much of the visual quality of the previous 2 titles. I was completely blown away playing the first one and couldn't believe that a game of that caliber could be pushed on the PS2... Then the second one was released and it fucking blew me away!
    I had really high expectations with this third one and does it no way look that impressive. The characters are just hi-res versions of their PS2 counter-parts. A lot of the characters/enemies received a lot more love and design work after the first one and considering the tech and budget for a game of this magnitude, you would assume GoW3 would make me jizz in my shorts for every second I'm watching/playing it.
    I think it is the lighting that is killing it for me and I know once the final polish goes in, it'll be a sweet looking game.
    This will be the first game I'll buy for my PS3.

-caseyjones
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Geta-Ve wrote: »
    LOL, levels?! You've just discredited yourself completely.
    Yes, levels. the game is split into a series of levels. The later ones are poorly done, causing the game to lessen in quality.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    kick ass story and gameplay
    Hehe come oooon! That's god of war we are talking about! It's good, but kickass story... not really.

I loved how the difficulty setting adjusted itself in the frist one! Hopefully they'll keep that.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Hehe come oooon! That's god of war we are talking about! It's good, but kickass story... not really.

I loved how the difficulty setting adjusted itself in the frist one! Hopefully they'll keep that.

that's something i'm always torn about. on one hand, you've always got a challenge regardless of how good you've gotten at the game, but sometimes you want the game to be much more challenging. suppose they could scale difficulty within the settings or just make it an option along side the usual choices.
  • the_podman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone keeps complaining about the "bloom". Yeah, I know it's cliche next gen effect, but remember, game art goes through "passes" and with each iteration, the assets look better and better. Most game pipelines have a system like this these days otherwise, character/environment pipelines would bottleneck and nothing would ever get done. :) One of the advantages of being a AAA title like this, is that Sony can take the extra time to polish every element of the game, even if it means pushing back release dates, which will most likely happen.

From an artistist standpoint, what is most impressive to me is the level of deform Kratos has. You can tell the bone and polycount is much higher than your typical next gen title from the way shoulders and torso's hold up during extreme poses. The animation sampling rate seems to be higher as well. I don't know about you guys, but I'll take a hit on textures if it means more fluid motions.

-Rod
    www.youtube.com/RodneyBrett
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all I see are normal mapped chains around his forearm.

come on, model them out!
  • the_podman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm sure that was an issue of debate at Santa Monica Studios. If I had to guess, I suppose it's a matter of performance. Even if characters have higher polycounts these days, it can be offset by the amount of entities on screen at once and it seems to be high with this game.