Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gladiator Planet

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
So for my portfolio class i am going to be modeling a series of characters based around my idea "gladiator planet"

the idea is basically this planet of alien gangsters, thieves and scum travel the galaxy to kidnap and force its inhabitants to compete in their gladiator tournament.

I'm going to be modeling a human gladiator, a mount and its rider, and a beast.

Here are some concepts along with my progress so far on one of the models.

mount.jpg

Here is my first pass on the mount. I just wanted to establish the silhouette initially..now im going to go in and fix my tris and polyflow in places...im also going to break up his silhouette abit on his neck and around his joints with flabs of skin.

mount-1.jpg

gladiator.jpg

beast.jpg

Replies

• aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    nice stuff, I'm looking forward to your progress.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the Hipoly saddle the mount has on his back.

The big thing to point out here is that the back of the saddle is going to have some heavy design to it, but i'm going to sculpt it in zbrush. I want the designs to look alot like the designs on the gladiators helmet just to have a consistent element of design to make the models look like they belong to the same universe.

saddle_highipoly2.jpg

saddle_highipoly.jpg

saddle_highipoly3.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Great looking concepts. can't wait to see this come along.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update on the Hipoly...slowly putting the pieces together.
    Currently working on the mouth piece and the rope that the rider uses to steer...i don't know what that's called on horses.

next im going to zbrush it...and try out the retopology tool. I've never done it so i think it's time i pick up on that.

creature2.jpg

creature1.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff! I dig those sketches
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    good shit wesley. model's looking great. I suck at characters, but the saddle and everything is coming together nicely
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you're all looking forward to it. I hope i can provide!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've been playin with ideas for his skin type.

These are quick sculpts...and im just doin the head. to establish the skintype better and faster.

This one is more of a Jar Jar skin type....
    i'm goin to do a couple more...one more of the elephant type...and the other abit more lizardy.

So i need some help

mount2-2.jpg

mount-2.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the other head....This one has less wrinkles....he's goin to have dino/elephant skin abit more with this look.

I actually like this one best...and will probably go with it.

mount3.jpg
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the second head overall, but the neck folds from the first head.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah wes i like the 2nd head overall, but i like the nostrils from the first head best. totally a choice on your part though. do a third sculpt!! if you has time :P
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update on the saddle....This is just the highpoly sculpt.

I'm going to try and import it into max and bake some nice lil texures. if my computer can handle it.

I can't decide if i should let the normals capture all of that detail on the back...or model some of it. If i decide to model some of it, im going to retopo the seat and just use that one.
    we'll see.

saddle.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's looking very cool wes. veerryyy cool. my only concern is if this style of material you're making here will be cohesive with the styles of the character that will ride this creature. Will their armor have intricate and organic markings like those of the saddle they ride?

good work, I say let the normal map do the work for you on these details. Looks real good man
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I wanted to establish their technology and designs with this saddle. Kind of helping myself come up with the design as i sculpted.

Every piece of armor is going to have this very stylized detail to it.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's what i've come up with for the mount riders. They aren't necessarily the main inhabitants of this planet...they're born into this job mostly, slaves and such.

mount_rider2.jpg

slowly, very slowly but surely starting to dish out these normal maps.
    So far i have the saddle, teh chest armor, and some of the smaller bits normal-ed.

test.jpg
    test2.jpg
    test3.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a render of what i have so far. Most of the armor pieces and accessories are done. I still have the cloth on his back to do, and some tid bits here and there.

I'm gathering reference to start sculpting his skin soon. I'll probably start that up today after class.

mounttest.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Wes really looking good so far.

One thing that sticks out odd to me is all of his straps. I know you want to keep this game ready poly but I really think they could be made with geo and it wouldn't kill your count too bad.

If you look at some of the insane work of Ben Clark he has his straps basic modeled out and throws some normals on them but still they pop so much more with the geo. http://www.benjaminclark.net/html/work/02.html

If they are modeld and im just blind i think you need to push the height of them more so they read.

Keep up the good work though, really liking this.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the first pass at the final concept of the mount and his rider. I can't seem to find a good color scheme...I like this one so far but i've been staring at it for hours also.

So i'm going to go with this one for now.

I'm going to obviously do alot more work on the concept.

mountandrider.jpg
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking pretty cool so far, I'm really liking the character design. One small comment on the chest armor, I'd like to see the edges either have some silhouette continued out from the design or have some sort of border that the design terminates into like you have done on the seat. As it is right now it looks like it just kind of ends at the edges. Keep up the sweet work. :)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites wrote: »
    This is looking pretty cool so far, I'm really liking the character design. One small comment on the chest armor, I'd like to see the edges either have some silhouette continued out from the design or have some sort of border that the design terminates into like you have done on the seat. As it is right now it looks like it just kind of ends at the edges. Keep up the sweet work. :)

ah thanks man. good idea. I was wondering why it looked so detached from the mount.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the finished concept of the mount and his rider along with a couple of slightly less equiped aliens.

mountandrider-1.jpg
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang Wes, you're making really good progress with this project. I like the beast designs quite a bit. Anything cephlopod-esqe is cool. I like how you have one claw far bigger than the other, like a fiddler crab. Your sculpts are looking great man, can't wait to see some more updates!
    Jim
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VikingJim wrote: »
    Dang Wes, you're making really good progress with this project. I like the beast designs quite a bit. Anything cephlopod-esqe is cool. I like how you have one claw far bigger than the other, like a fiddler crab. Your sculpts are looking great man, can't wait to see some more updates!
    Jim

Thanks man. It's no team excelsior? hah
  • brokendragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really cool man, keep up the good work. One minor gripe I have is that I think the reins are a way too long. If you were to animate this model you would have them going into the model, or if you put collision on them they'd be flying all over the place as the model moved.