Home Technical Talk

Maya // Rigging : how to create the leg's orientation?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sama.van polycounter lvl 14
I already have some pre-build skeleton, but I don't success to create myself the leg's orientation... I already give a look to the Maya documentation...

with 3dsmax I easly create that stuff with :
- I create a dummy,
- Set his position and orientionon on the hip's bone,
- create an Ik-chain on the hip and foot for creating the leg mouvement...

--- and finally, moving the dummy I can change the leg orientation.

Anyway, in Maya, I cannot find kind of dummmy then I create a simple cube on the hip's bone,, contraint the bone orientation to my cube... But when I add the ikHandle, the leg start to be crazy when moving the cube! T_T...

Could somone help me to resolve this problem? I'm totaly noob to the Setup&Animation part of Maya...

I work with Maya 2008.

Thanks by advance...

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    After you create the IK handle on the leg, you'll want to manipulate the PoleVectorX attribute to get the orientation right.

For the dummy object method, create your cube (or use a locater), select it and then shift select your IK handle. Use Animate-Constrain-PoleVector. That should make your IK's orientation follow the position of your dummy.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Not sure if creating a Cube at the hips and Orient Constraining the joint to the Cube is the way to go.

Try this instead. Skip the Cube and create a ikHandle right away instead, make sure it is a RP (rotate plane) ikHandle. Now create whatever object, for example a Locator. Place the new object in front of the leg, at the knee but a bit in front of it. Make sure the new object is selected and shift-select the ikHandle as well. Add a "Pole Vector Constraint".

The new Pole Vector Constraint should be controlling which way the knee "points" when you shorten the ik chains distance so that it bends.

EDIT---
    Dang! You beat me to it FunkaDelicDass
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried your tips but nothing really works...

I tried with a locator and a cube and but same result...

If you want to check my attempt : http://samavan.com/divershelp/_Leg_Test_A.mb
    (Maya 2008 )

I'm sorry I cannot save it with *.ma, it doesn't work on my Vista >_<
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    Place the new object in front of the leg, at the knee but a bit in front of it.

Alright!!! Not on the bone (like my 3dsmax technic =_=)

It works perfectly now!

Really thanks !man! 8)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You are welcome