Home Technical Talk

Expression Editor for Max

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
I have released a Beta. A couple of the features dont totally work yet so their buttons are grayed out. The download comes with a readme which will tell you how to install and use it.

You can Download Beta01 Here.

This is an expression editor and framework for Max which is designed to be very similar to Maya's expression system. Here are some of the core features:

-Expressions are saved with the max scene file.
-Create any number of expressions.
-Choose when and how expressions are evaluted.
-Context sensitive variable help.
-Parallel editing between the simple built-in text editor and the MaxScript editor.
-Expressions are MaxScript evaluated in global scope.

The UI as it is right now:
expressioneditor03.jpg

This example shows how you could create a boat on the ocean, with automatic geometry degradation based on height the 'boat'.
Click for video.
expressionsdemo01.jpg

No release yet, but if anyone wants to test it just ask.

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is like a wrapper for Script Controllers? If so, very nice. If not, explain!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    what codec is used for the video? I tried to play it back in VLC but it did not worked - perhaps divX?

Is this somehow connect to the 3dsmax wire parameters or the buggy Reaction Manager? It looks really promosing and with a little bit knowledge of maxscripting propably very powerfull for animating complex things in film.
    How far is it compatilbe with older version of 3dsmax (your icon looks like max9) will it work in 10/11 as well?

nice work
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob: It doesnt use Script Controllers, it uses the execute <string> function, so it is actual maxscript just like you would execute from the maxscript editor. The expressions and their info are stored in the FileProerties. and the expression evaluator is always running(at max startup) as long as there is at least one expression.

renderhjs: Im not really sure what the codec is, I didnt have a choice with the software i used :/ Its probably divx though. Im not totally sure what versions it supports. Im using 2009 but I have no reason to think it wouldnt work in older versions too.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another example of something you could do. You can create custom render passes. This shows how you could make a per vertex Velocity Map from scratch (for doing mtion blur in post). You would really want this expression to be evaluated at just before rendering and then temporarily swap out the materials on each mesh to an unlit vertex color material and swap it back after the render finishes.
    Click for video.
    expressiondemo02.jpg

This velocity map would be in world space so you would really want to do it in camera space.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have released a beta. Check the first post for the download link.