Home General Discussion

Christian Bale's Apocalyptic 'Terminator Salvation' Meltdown

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I can kind of relate to this. I had a studio manager/pr who would constantly interrupt me whilst working.

She seemed to have no work to do, so every five minutes, she would come in the studio,

mouthing off, swinging off the back of my chair.

It used to drive me insane and was one of the reasons why I left that particular studio

I didn't blow up like bale, but in hindsight had every right to( I did tell her off though)

I reckon we lost a good 2 hours every day due to these interruptions. management didn't

really give a damn and I certainly wasn't the only person who was bothered by it.

I sometimes wonder if we are kept angry on purpose so we work harder:)

Anyway bales outburst was bad, but he seemed to have a good reason for it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    oh man, I would have laughed my ass off if he'd been in his gravelly "Batman" voice!

I would have laughed my ass off if the DP responded in the Batman voice :)

In all honesty, I can understand him getting pissed. He may have gone on too long about it, but still, it was 'pissed' worthy.
    I know others have given relatable examples, but I've got a more direct example. What if you were working on a big scene, and you had hours of work in it, then some guy in the studio walks by and kicks out the power cable. You restart, find your files are corrupted and you have to restart. Then you get to just about the same point, and the same guy comes by and kicks out your power cable again. That's what he's dealing with here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    at least he didn't kick a chair at the guy, that would be totally inexcusable!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19

Haha
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    He must be a professional with the concern raised but an amateur at keeping his temper. It's a pity Bale didn't choose wiser words from his possibly extensive vocabulary instead of demonstrating a kind of temper that needs correction. You can't do that in any workplace, um, that is unless your are Hollywood's new best hope for success.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Not to make light of Ledger's passing, but if I had to work with that kind of monster, I'd be on all sorts of pills too.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hey man, if a DP walked straight in to my max scene and started fucking shit up, id be upset too! Bale rocks, dont fuck with him..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I can just imagine the guy in the background waving at the camera or making bunny ears behind bales back.

Thats probably what happened.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ruz wrote: »
    I can just imagine the guy in the background waving at the camera or making bunny ears behind bales back.

Thats probably what happened.

not bunny ears, bat ears!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of Ed Harris in the outtakes for The Rock.
    He couldn't get his lines right and flipped out. I can see Bales point and he's probably really raw from whatever scene he was doing but he did take it a bit far. Honestly tho... if you work around a bunch of pampered prima donnas you have to expect a few temper tantrums.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I lol'd!
    1157529110_yawn2_027.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    what a guy, didn't christian bale beat up his own mother once?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    no, but I heard he beat up yours.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    He even asked McG (the director) what he was going to do about it in the clip. McG replied (in his most weak voice) "I didn't see it". Obviously the director is just as scared of Bale as the DP is.

http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=18511
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Definitely a "Thread of Awesomeness" Candidate :D.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahaha was just about to post that remix, its amazingly well done :P
  • [Deleted User]
    Super wrote: »
    With that said, the guy should've hit back at him, have some backbone man.
    No way. The DP is expendable. The lead actor isn't.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    MoP wrote: »
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

It actually makes a pretty good song!

instant classic :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, he sounds more dissapointed at the lack of proffessionalism of the DP than "I'll rip your heart out and make you eat it". I was expecting him to be raging like really, really bad after reading your guys' comments and the article.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    You people don't realise what it's like for an actor to get in character.

Do you realise Heath Ledger spent 3 months in a hotel room with the windows covered up, and the doors bolted shut with no lights, to live in complete isolation and desolation, just to get his mindframe into what it was like to be the joker.

It was a role that ultimately lead to a large part of his depression.

Now imagine spending as much time as Bale did trying to get into the mindset of being one of the last human survivors on the planet, surviving the nuclear genocide, and walking around in isolation as one of the last survivors of mankind in a hostile post-apocalyptic wasteland....

..then some DOP walks into your set for the second time.

:/

Think of it as some dude carelessly deleting the work you did on your past 2 characters by 'accident', then nonchalantly telling you he's sorry.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I was really afraid to listen to this tirade since I have been following Bale since Newsies. However, after listening to him rip the DP a new one, I think I like him even more.

There is no telling where Bale was coming from with that outburst but it's obvious he was a bit stressed out. Maybe from marketing The Dark Knight so much? I don't know. But I wish I had the balls to go off on someone like that. But, nothing has really happened to me where I would get to that level of anger. Guess I'm just too nice sometimes but Bale? Dude definitely has some anger issues. But who doesn't?

A local radio station used soundbites from this audio clip all morning and I laughed all the way to work. Great stuff.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i totally agree jox. I called him a dick but in the end there are three types of people. Dicks, pussys and assholes. lol
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Well Bale is a method actor (which is why he goes off in his fake American accent), you can almost hear him breaking it at one point and reverting back to his natural accent.
    I totally understand where Bale is coming from and jox pretty much nailed it in his reply. However, I don't agree with the way he reacted. It was definitely unprofessional and somewhat hypocritical considering he was calling the DP unprofessional.
    I'm gay for Bale, so this doesn't change my view on him at all.

-caseyjones
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    lmao@the techno song...That deserves it's spot on the soundtrack.

And the fact that he flipped his lid isnt a huge shock to me. It is funny how he mentions being unprofessional and an amateur while acting out like that.
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    I would be pretty pissed too if I was stuck in the third sequel to a dying franchise whose only hope of resurrection lies in the hands of the director of Charlie's Angels.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    HausFly wrote: »
    I would be pretty pissed too if I was stuck in the third sequel to a dying franchise whose only hope of resurrection lies in the hands of the director of Charlie's Angels.

oooOohh.. that was harsh. But oh so true.

He also directed the Cypress Hill- Still Smokin' Video collection so uhhh, naaaahh.. forget what I just typed. I stopped watching the Terminator movies after the second one.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I worked with someone like that before in our industry, the guy would verbally assualt people and treat them like shit. Unfortunately for us, he was in a high position where you would go to someone like him to complain and get the person fired. I still consider him to be one of the biggest douche's I have had the unpleasure to work with, and thankfully a bit later he was kicked off our team. It definetely is unproffesional what Bale did, and hopefully this will maybe make him more humble.

Spark
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i totally agree jox. I called him a dick but in the end there are three types of people. Dicks, pussys and assholes. lol
    aye, and Bale strikes me as a Dick.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I love the remix.

edit:
    yeah i thought i was on the 3rd page still and didn't see it...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgz...already posted...lol
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark wrote: »
    I worked with someone like that before in our industry, the guy would verbally assualt people and treat them like shit. Unfortunately for us, he was in a high position where you would go to someone like him to complain and get the person fired. I still consider him to be one of the biggest douche's I have had the unpleasure to work with, and thankfully a bit later he was kicked off our team. It definetely is unproffesional what Bale did, and hopefully this will maybe make him more humble.

Spark

HEY WE HAVE NEVER WORKED TOGETHER YOU FUCK!!!

lol j/k
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    HEY WE HAVE NEVER WORKED TOGETHER YOU FUCK!!!

lol j/k

Orange juice came outta my nose.

it sting... it stings.....
  • Thegodzero
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze wrote: »
    Not even close. It's more like the guy in the cubical next to yours is chewing his gum too loudly and you ask him to stop... then later when he's chewing gum again you kick his desk over and scream that you're going to cut his balls off.

haha... that just made my day! :)
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17

And obviously there are far more of the latter.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I bet this happens every day on at least one set. We just need more leaks. It's a great sound byte, I've listened to it several times now.

I want Dwight and Jim from the Office going off on each other now between scenes.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    its a joke to hype the movie.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read more on this and it happened last July.

The dp walked in Bales line of site behind his co-star and broke his concentration or whatever and this is considered a HUGE no no in films. So stress, long hours, hard scene to get into and then blam some jack ass ruins it.

Yeah I would blow up to.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    There should be some kind of thread where people use this as a soundtrack to a low poly animation. Just an idea. Would be hilarious.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Only celebrities acting silly would warrant this size a discussion, its a dude yelling at another dude for screwing up repeatedly at his job, it doesn't happen much in the games biz, but you can bet your ass it happens in a lot of other job fields.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    what would u do if someone came up and pushed your wacom pen around while you were sculpting? Not once but several times throughout the day.....

acting is art and if someone messed with your art over and oover again........im sure u would get pissed too....lol
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    what would u do if someone came up and pushed your wacom pen around while you were sculpting? Not once but several times throughout the day.....

acting is art and if someone messed with your art over and oover again........im sure u would get pissed too....lol

Kind of like if Zbrush or your 3d package just blinked out of existence without any warning or explanation on a regular but unpredictable basis.... ooooh wait
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    "You're "SORRY", Maya!? Oh, GOOOOOOOOOD! I hope it was fucking worth it. Think for ONE fucking second! You and me, Maya. We're done professionally, man."

Oh. If only.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

Hey folks, Harry here... I'm getting slammed with assloads of people angry at me for not posting the Bale explosion from the set of McG's TERMINATOR: SALVATION. Well, first off - there's a real simple reason. It isn't news. And it certainly isn't cool news. It is a moment in a man's life taken completely out of context and most likely leaked to personally embarrass Christian Bale.

Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking... There's no excuse for a temper tantrum like that to ever occur and if you are going to act that way, you deserve to be embarrassed by your own actions.
    Except, you want to hear the REALITY behind that clip?
    I know this because I happen to be somewhere where someone that was there that day and for the shoot is. And this person isn't a publicist, nor are they invested in Bale's career. They're just someone that thinks it is absolute bullshit that this moment in Bale's life is being aired and that the real story should get out there.
    The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.
    The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that shit down before the scene starts.
    Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.
    Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.
    You don't need me to give you a link, it's all over the internet, I just felt that you should know what really went down - and that this particular outburst did indeed modify the DP's behavior - and for future DPs. Fuck with the lights before and after your actors are acting. Not during.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good post Adam/Perna. I think what helped this escalate so quickly was his previous issue relating to striking his mom, where his temper was involved (and probably justified then too). The guy is human like the rest of us, and we all have a level where anger is released, and it's never pretty. His just involved having a soundguy recording his rant. I hope this doesn't affect his career in the future.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    Fatso to the rescue
    "Except, you want to hear the REALITY behind that clip?"
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

brome is late by 18hours.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm back... from the future.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Score 1 for the British! /o/

I highly doubt this is gonna ruin his career, most film crews are well experienced with the nature of actors and their egos / how to treat them.
    Also it seems to be a clip generating him kudos from a lot of people rather than damning.
    Personally it's bolstered my respect for him as an actor who takes his craft seriously.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True... I just think of actors like Tom Cruise, who is still trying to recover from his Scientology rants and crazy dancing over Katie Holmes. Not that his movies flopped, but they didn't live up to expectations afterwards.
    It really breaks down to how the public will respond, which so far has been a bit more supportive (as you mentioned).