Home General Discussion

Christian Bale's Apocalyptic 'Terminator Salvation' Meltdown

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what's a DP?

never heard an actor complain about DP in a scene before...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    wow, what an asshat.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Both the audio and the article don't tell the whole story. I wouldn't use such watered down evidence to judge the guy.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Director of Photography
    AKA: DP, DoP
    A cinematographer who is ultimately responsible for the process of recording a scene in the manner desired by the director. The Director of Photography has a number of possible duties: selection of film stock, cameras, and lenses; designing and selecting lighting, directing the gaffer's placement of lighting; shot composition (in consultation with the director); film developing and film printing.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    haha, wow.
    Actually.. I think he sounded tougher than he did in the Dark Knight. Too bad he didin't belittle the joker like that.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    If he sounded even half as tough in the Dark Knight as he did right there, it may have actually been a good movie. I'm sure he had his reasons though, I fucking HATE it when people walk in front of the camera when I'm trying to film a scene.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like he must have deserved it.

EDIT - I can understand the frustration. imagine you've just finished painting your texture at work and someone comes by and scrawls a giant penis all over it. But instead of a couple strokes of Undo, Bale has to re-do the entire scene.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    While he was being obnoxious, it was probably warranted. The DP did walk in front of the camera more than once and I reckon its hard for an actor to get back in to the groove of their character when constantly being interrupted from someone out side of the scene.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    haha, awesome. must have been the end of a really long day.
    the DP should have shut his hole and left when Bale started to calm down
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    wow, crazy bit of audio there. Reminds me of the time when Bill O'Reilly flipped out shouting "we'll do it live!"
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ohhh. THAT dp.

right.

interesting. still looking forward to the movie!
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i agree that the DP probably deserved to be talked to. But mr bale wasnt exactly professional in his delivery. I know that most people here couldnt get away with acting like that at work, even if someone did something to deserve it.
    If he would have just said to the guy, you're totally breaking my focus, please chillax while we shoot this shit, it would have made the dp look like a tool without making himself look like one.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm, the DP had messed his scene up twice. Who knows how serious or hard the scene was. Bale sounded pissed off/annoyed.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    That was some fairly epic rage...

I've gotta say though, some of you guys are fucked. There's no way any decently professional person should EVER act like that in the work place.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    oh man, I would have laughed my ass off if he'd been in his gravelly "Batman" voice!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone who gets paid as much as Bale for what he does should be professional enough to keep their tempter in check.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe he's realized the movie is going to be a stinker
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    oh man, I would have laughed my ass off if he'd been in his gravelly "Batman" voice!

haha same!

I do have to agree with adam though... we don't really have the full story so I'm not going change much of my opinion of him.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    money doesnt bring class to a person. you can take the girl outa the ghetto but not the ghetto outa the girl eh?? bale is just riding the wave of hand me down gigs. Hes not even a good actor, just simply fits the body type for the gigs avaliable. In 10 years noone will remember him other than to laugh a bit and go "wonder where he is now".

on a professional level, id walk off any job that my employeer spoke to me in this tone. And black list them to boot.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    There's something a-holy in that alright.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    "noooo.... NOOOOOO"

He's the man, If I sounded half as cool as that, I'd get all the ladies eh :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Very long days with little sleep for months on end, then at the end of one of those long days someone fucks up your work twice... yeah sounds like what id do too.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, flashes of American Psycho there... I can understand being aggravated, and blowing up, though. There's been plenty of times when I wanted to blast people like that. You gotta remember there's things in people personal lives that effect their work as well. But at the same time, he could just be a giant prick. I don't follow the "stars" like some people, so I don't know anything about him. I do know that sounded like someone being fed up with the situation they were in, and lost it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    animatr wrote: »
    I know that most people here couldnt get away with acting like that at work, even if someone did something to deserve it.

But you're not the superstar of the show! :D Are ya?
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    like mentioned before the article and audio don't take everything into consideration. If like you guys said it was after like 18 hours of shooting for 10 days straight and a very difficult scene and some jackass fucks it up twice then people will just lose it.

Still quite entertaining.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Can we get audio of him beating up his family during TDK's opening weekend?
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    movie stars, they think they are special. Not special in my mind.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    Can we get audio of him beating up his family during TDK's opening weekend?
    FYI that was verbal assault. you must read too many tabloids :)

(is it just me or does that smiley look really smug?)
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    That was some fairly epic rage...

I've gotta say though, some of you guys are fucked. There's no way any decently professional person should EVER act like that in the work place.

Agreed, to the fullest extent.

HAHAHAHAHA! "I'M NOT WEARING HOCKEY PADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I wish he would have said that.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    aniceto wrote: »
    FYI that was verbal assault. you must read too many tabloids :)
    I don't read any tabloids. It came in my morning newspaper, and was on the local 6pm news.

With everything I hear about him, I expect to hear that he spiked Ledger's meds.

Hopefully, this rant makes it to the DVD extras. :poly142::poly122:
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Pseudo wrote: »
    imagine you've just finished painting your texture at work and someone comes by and scrawls a giant penis all over it. But instead of a couple strokes of Undo, Bale has to re-do the entire scene.

Not even close. It's more like the guy in the cubical next to yours is chewing his gum too loudly and you ask him to stop... then later when he's chewing gum again you kick his desk over and scream that you're going to cut his balls off.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    that would teach him!
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bale's Ameri-english accent is confusing. :D
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    hey, at least he kept up the american accent

^^posted at exactly the same time^^
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    He's working. If the day is long and you're doing stuff over and over, stuff will wear on you really freakin quick. That dude was the straw that broke the camels back.

I've seen it happen a few times in an office environment.

But whatever, finish my damn movie so I can watch it.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    He's working? So is the other guy. Christ. You cannot speak to people like that, simple as. If someone has done something wrong in their job (which is what this is), you deal with it in a calm and professional manner. You do not scream and shout abuse at them.

With that said, the guy should've hit back at him, have some backbone man.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super wrote: »
    With that said, the guy should've hit back at him, have some backbone man.
    Backbone of course. But if the guy did it a few times and you was warned, be prepared for a verbal assault. If I am doing something over and over and the reason why is because someone's messing it up, I'll give you a chance. But if you keep doing it, I'd go off on you.

My personal rule is: If you're not my dad and you get in my face like you are, be prepared for retaliation. Goes for everyone, including myself.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Where do you work? I'd like to know which studio would allow staff to speak to people like that, at that volume and at that length with such language. I suspect you won't be employed for long if you behaved like that. There are other ways to deal with situations like that.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Lamont wrote: »
    My personal rule is: If you're not my dad and you get in my face like you are, be prepared for retaliation. Goes for everyone, including myself.

you'd stick to a rule like that in a professional environment? Nice. I'd love to work with you

worst thing about that audio clip is that no-one stepped in to slap bale down and tell him to stop being a cock on set. Where was the floor manager, director, producer? Strikes me he's done this before, many times, and in the tradition of spoilt starlets going back a hundred years, they just let him get on with it cos they know it'll be worse if he doesn't let it all out there and then.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super wrote: »
    Where do you work? I'd like to know which studio would allow staff to speak to people like that, at that volume and at that length with such language. I suspect you won't be employed for long if you behaved like that. There are other ways to deal with situations like that.
    Not gonna say where. I've seen it in studios, and I've seen it on sets. We will leave it at that.

People have their tantrums and moments. No one is like the other. Also no one does stuff like that w/out someone getting on their case.

Side note: You can't yell at someone if they aren't there. I would have been like "peace man.." and left his ass to yell at my vapors. I agree, there are better ways.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Palm to forehead.

What a douche.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    you'd stick to a rule like that in a professional environment? Nice. I'd love to work with you
    If you take the time to be a dick to me in an office, in front of everyone acting like a prima-dona 110% I'd wouldn't let you walk over me. I give people the benefit of the doubt. I take it that you're not in the right frame of mind at the moment for whatever reason.
    Here are the steps I'd take before you'd hear a word from me in a professional environment:
    • I'd let you rip into me, I'd smile I wouldn't say a word.
    • In the nicest most calm voice, I'd warn you to take it outside. (I said warn)
    • Talk to the producer.
    • If he doesn't do anything. Kick the shit up the ladder.
    • If no one does anything, I'd tell you to not pull shit like that ever again. And it's time to find a new job.
    I know how to talk to someone and not yell and still put them in their place. I've done it with my kid, I've done it with adults using the same manner. I've done it with groups of young adults. I've talked my way out of being stabbed, jumped and shot (stabbed once though). I've talked my way out of a situation after being kidnapped and robbed.

I'd never walk up to someone and rip into them. If I ever lost my mind and did it, I'd expect something to happen to me.

Like I said, people have their moments.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone has their breaking points. I've studied (not worked!) with some hugely obnoxious pricks and I can easily see how being in their proximity for 12 hours a day for several months would have a bad effect on my personality.

anyway, it sounds like Christian Bale was just giving Shane Hurlbut a taste of his own medicine
    http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=19104918#itemanchor_19104918
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ok, guys. you all (or most of you) work in a professional design studio.

now imagine you're working on a very difficult model, or you're finishing up an epic fight cinematic. but half way through it earlier in the day, the net admin accessed your machine remotely, and started dicking around in your machine.

that's ok, you can just pick it up again. so you do.

later on in the day, you're right at the crucial point, and he comes in again. only this time when he's finished, your programs are closed down, and your files are corrupt, you have to start again.

i imagine that's how pissed bale was.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, guys. you all (or most of you) work in a professional design studio.

now imagine you're working on a very difficult model, or you're finishing up an epic fight cinematic. but half way through it earlier in the day, the net admin accessed your machine remotely, and started dicking around in your machine.

that's ok, you can just pick it up again. so you do.

later on in the day, you're right at the crucial point, and he comes in again. only this time when he's finished, your programs are closed down, and your files are corrupt, you have to start again.

i imagine that's how pissed bale was.
    Did the admin send out a mass email warning of his impending shenanigans? If he did and you didn't check your email, it's your fault.

If he didn't. Did you tell him what's going on after the first time?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    perna wrote: »
    that exact same thing happens to me every time max crashes

but do you do it in a fake american accent?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad he takes Terminator 4 seriously.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    He'll kick your ass...

bale14.jpg