Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

genghis kong

makoa
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
makoa polycounter lvl 17
what's goin on polycount? did this for a blizzard art test a few months back and just wanted to share. feedback is, of course, more than welcome!

genghiskong_beauty.jpg

genghiskong_textures.jpg

360 turnaround:
http://www.kennykong.net/kkong_preview_original.avi

concept, model, and texture all completed by me. thanks for looking!

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think the only thing that doesn't read well is the mustache... for me (personally) it doesn't fit the overall awesome character design.

Besides that man, this is really fricken cool, you're silhouette is really interesting, and your texturing is probably some of the coolest I've seen in awhile. You do however have this weird redish tint across the eyes (not just the pupils) and it's blending too much. Instead of taking out the colouration in the skin (around the eyes and nose) how about you desaturate the eye itself, that could make it more prominent (or visa versa).

Didn't say if you landed the job or not, but I hope yuo did man (or landed another gig), this is some nice work.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I really like his pauldrons. cooool shit.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool :) What did Blizzard have to say about it?
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not even a fan of WoW type characters but for some reason I REALLY like this genghis kong character you did. I think it may be the textures and the colors you chose. I'm diggin' it but I agree with JasonLavoie on the red eye issue. Try doing what he suggested 'cuz I think he's right.

Other than that, yea I hope you got the job too. Hopefully they didn't make you wait weeks or months to find out. I hate when they do that. Cheers.
  • Manganiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo wrote: »
    Very cool :) What did Blizzard have to say about it?

...it's ovER NINE THOUSAAAAND

eh... sorry jokes a side,
    love the concept, I'm not familiar with exotic cultures, but it seens a near perfect mix, some tribal concept with some oriental painting on top of it (I think the oriental one is called Ibuki...)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Im pretty much totally against the real time art in WoW. Their cinematics are amazing, but the game environments ect looks like this to me;

Your take on the subject is amazing though! I love this character, really nice job!
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that shield is effin awesome. i love it. i agree about the mustache though, doesn't seem to fit
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice dude, this character screams awesome. My only comment would be that I think there need to be some AO type shadows painted in on the shoulder pads where the horns intersect, right now it kinda looks they were just placed in as an after thought. Hope the dudes at Blizzard enjoyed this.
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    that shield is effin awesome. i love it. i agree about the mustache though, doesn't seem to fit
    that shield is pretty effin sweet man. mustaches are in!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, really great work. i agree about the AO comment though, adding some here and there, will ad a lot of depth to the model.
  • makoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makoa polycounter lvl 17
    thanks everyone for the kind words and constructive criticism! blizzard did end up giving me an offer although due to various circumstances i declined.

jason lavoie - thanks buddy! yea i see what you're saying about the reddish tint around the eyes, i kinda missed that as i was doing the texture. thanks for the compliments though!

sectaurs - thank you sir!

turpedo - thanks man, they liked it a lot.

gobee - thank you! i'll look into the eyes.

manganiac - thanks buddy. one of the shoulderpads is taken from an indonesian demon mask, the other from a japanese noh mask - could be ibuki? not sure.

microonezia - haha thanks man! i appreciate it.

blackulaDZ - haha yea some ppl like the mustache, others not so much.

nrek - cool i feel you...i guess a little drop shadow would anchor it in place huh? got a lil lazy =P

filbot - haha glad u dig the mustache man

dejawolf - thanks, i tried to approach it all hand painted so never really gave it an AO pass, but i can see how it would help

thanks again everyone i appreciate it!
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sir, is superrad