Home Technical Talk

more mudbox questions,

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
i will just lump my mudbox querys in here from now on,

i was trying out the paint tools, like color paint, and it just freezes mudbox the second i touch it to my model, also,, i can't find a color pallet to pick colors, whats up?

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ok,, yea i think it was just way glitchy, things are not showing up for me, and freezin a lot
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I did hear this from wayne(the guy with all the good free mb2009 tuts)

"Its worth bearing in mind that the upcoming service pack will realy broaden out the compatable hardware for mudbox. (The guys have put alot of work into that and done some minor miracles..so don't discount mud on your hardware just yet. ) "

I havent heard anything more but assume this is still in the pipeline
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhinokey,
    you would probably get better answers here, as well as lots of tutorials
    http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/forums/viewcategory/95/

I've used the paint tools successfully so it probably is a hardware problem on your end. I also think the paint tools don't work too well on very high poly stuff.

What is very puzzling about the mudbox paint system, is that you can't assign a pre-existing texture to your model. To do this you have to go through a hack sort of process where you rename some default files. The whole thing is very stupid.

But I still support Mudbox because of the superior interface.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same problem on some types of maps, but none on others, so try some different sizes/filetypes.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Whats the problem with Mudbox painting tools then? All I can think of is a clone brush and better colour wheel.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    What is very puzzling about the mudbox paint system, is that you can't assign a pre-existing texture to your model. To do this you have to go through a hack sort of process where you rename some default files. The whole thing is very stupid.

Couldn't you just use right click, choose import layer, and pick your texture? That's how I do it.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    Do any professionals here actually use mud2 for anything beyond simple brushes? I don't believe I know anyone who does.

what exactly do you mean by simple brushes ? i use most of the new sculpting brushes but i stick to purely sculpting, no texturing.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    Couldn't you just use right click, choose import layer, and pick your texture? That's how I do it.

well I'll be...