Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

succubusish warrior

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
d00kie polycounter lvl 17
Hai,
This is a little side project i have been working on in my spare time.
She's a succubus/warrior that I think would fit in a MMO or some other fantasy genre game, perhaps a fighting game!
I mainly wanted to mix the sex appeal of Soul Calibur's Ivy with something a little more darker.
Atm, she weighs in at 4946 tris...and now that I think of it, that's probably insanely high for a MMO... F!
bah, i can always go back and optimize or add stuff on. But anywai, here's the model with some first pass diffuse textures (2x1024)

orthofrontwire.jpgorthofrontdiffuse.jpg

perspbackwire.jpgperspbackdiffuse.jpg

perspsidewire.jpgperspsidediffuse.jpg

comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated, plx
I will update with more progress sometime soon...
(slowly drifts back to left 4 dead)

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin hot, great job so far d00kie, inspiring :)
    I think maybe emeralds or topaz would be better than the red gems you have in her chest and around her belly button could be better, going along with her yellow/green theme. Great patterns on her, the lingerie was well done.
    Also, the boobs could use like 1 or 2 more cuts to avoid the boxy cleavage, I think you could afford them if the count is already around 5k

boobfixlm8.jpg

Can't wait to see more work on the texture
  • Accoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Accoun polycounter lvl 11
    I like it, but I'm not sure if the yellow-ness looks good, I'd try to use other colors...
  • torontoanimator
    I never wouldve guessed 5k polys, she looks much lower, but still she looks very awesome. Im just curious, with the wings, i noticed some faces missing, are u trying to give her the torn wing look? Because if you are, an alpha map is the better way to go because right now it just looks like a square piece of skin is missing :Sthe model itself is really solid, i think it's just the texturing that needs to be worked on. Still, great model :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Round out the bottom of the breasts more with maybe 2 more edge loops. Right now they are giving it that low poly look torontoanimator mentioned. Other than that and the obvious fact that its still a WIP its looking sweet.

[edit] oops, steady beat me to it. Guess it pays to read all the replies before posting.... Still the same crit x2 is usually a sign :P
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Her nipples look sharp.. yeeowch... The model looks cool, on a personal note I've never really figured out why someone would wear lingerie and armor. But cool none the less. Looks like you spent lots of time on the panty areas.. lol
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy model! I like it alot. The hole in the wings is a little odd but otherwise very nice work, look forward to seeing the final.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey :)

Overall its an excellent model.
    Great crits by steady and torontoanimator.Transparency and nicer boobage would definitely add to the alreayd awesome model.

The major concern i have with the model,apart from the breast issue,is the polygonal distribution. To be honest, it doesnt look like a 5k model MAINLY becuase of all those extrude and bevels youve got going. You should definitely remove all the bevels and extrude. Most of the extrude i see really dont make any difference to the silhouette.
    -you should get rid of them extrudes whcih are present on the side of the calves.
    - On the upper piece of the armour on her right thigh (can see the loop from the backview).
    -And also that extrude(very close ring of edges) on the shoulder. I also think you should remove one loop from her eye area.
    -You could also use planes,everything doesnt have to be solid mass.E.g , the shoulder pads,i think you could have gotten away if you used planes rather than a solid mass of geometry.
    -I think the ears are too long.
    -Also,you modeled the two cylinders on the front from which the top connects with the neck ring. you really dont need that
    -If you really go in and optimse her,i bet you could take her down to around 4k atleast if not lower.
    -Check out modeling_man's folio, i remember seeing a succubisish type character in his gallery.

p.s.
    dont forget to add an AO :)

hope it was somewhat helpful :P
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the critiques and comments folks, i knew posting this up here before i continued any further would be a wise and inspirational choice.

@torontoanimator: You were correct about the alpha maps, her wings are meant to be torn. I will post an idea of what I would like to do, but alas Maya and alpha maps do not go along so well and there is some weird shading issues.

@steady/Xaltar: Thanks for that paintover Steady. My initial geometry was similar to that, but i did a little optimizing and took it down to what was posted. Now i will go back and add the rounder breast and get rid of some other faces that are not really being used.

@butt_sahib: I will definitely go in and optimize her alot more and get rid of those extrudes. I have a problem with trying to add detail with extrudes/bevels when it can all be achieved with the texture. But thanks for pointing it out for me and other issues you found with the model. Oh, and an AO pass is definitely in order. :)

@Dekard: lol, yeah. those nips are out of hand. I'll go in and tone them down some. I was also lol'ing at the fact of wearing lingerie and armor, so this is kind of a mockery of the 2. Nothing like a girl that wears some Victoria's secret and some Victorian armor. Victory!
    [edit] im pretty sure that's not Victorian armor... :(

I've got alot of work left to do on her yet. Thanks for again for the comments and critiques, keep em comin! And again, thanks for stopping by and stay classy :) *patent, patent*
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Definitely one of the best 3D asses I've ever seen.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey lookin nice, i agree with the emerald over ruby style choice would make her look more venemous in my opinion. also the whole color scheme needs more contrast the yellow color is a bit washed out could use more saturation there and more contrast and saturation on the skin as well, the hair color looks, and the detail work on all the lace and fishnet is fantastic keep on it!.

-Woog
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    BABY GOT A PHAT ASS.

Eggselent work sir. BOOMER!
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now that i got some time off from work, i can continue my quest to finish this chica.

i took everyone's crits into mind and optimized her.
    I added some horns and a tied up ribbon in the back that will hopefully simulate a tail (like most succubi tend to have)
    I corrected the jagged boob that was mentioned earlier.
    I got her from 4946 to 4250, still not my target tri count, but im sure i can knock 250 tris out somewhere.
    I also got rid of the gauntlet/arm/shield thing (i had no idea where i was going with that) so that helped out alot.
    succubusredux.jpg

I also made a sword for her. Its 488 tris atm, but i think i can get it down to 400. The right image is a tentative color scheme. Feel free to paintover :O
    sword.jpg

now i need to get to work on the textures and add some colores :D
    I plan on texturing more leathery armor on her midriff and wiping the naval piercings.
    I'm also thinking of maybe adding some henna tattoo designs or something to spice things up, i dunno!

C&C is always welcome. (even tho there hasnt been much change :P)

NOTE: Does anyone know how to correct that clipping issue I'm having? I have my Near Clip Plane set to .001 and my Far Clip set to 1000000, yet it still clips. I guess the geometry is just too close... Im not too sure.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a quick paintover to see what i could do with the midriff.
    i think i will add some kind of corset to cover up all the tummy showing.
    I also attempted to make some kind of Henna design or something on her right arm. I dunno if i want to develop a tattoo or just keep it bare. Only time will tell.
    succubuspo.jpg

However, I am inclined to take the corset away. Everyone knows "the less it covers, the higher the armor rating." XD

Oh, and I got the sword down to 399 tris.

EXCELSIOR!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good Tru, I like the corset. You're making good changes to the geo, listen to these guys they know waddup. I'd like to help with the colors tomorrow, if you're around. Also, we have some conflicting themes going on, maybe I can help you get them harmonized and feel more natural and turn this in a direction we can start moving forward to an end. I don't like the henna tattoo thing, a bitch with gnarly wings wouldn't have that, I'd turn away from that. It doesn't make sense in my mind. A real tattoo maybe... Still would seem odd, starts to feel cliche and predictable... a satanic jizz burn or Devil cock imprints? Sure! We also need to work on the face. You'll want to ditch all the make-up and highlights and go back to pushing those forms you're side-stepping. We'll get this shit going.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    i allways thought that succubs has tauren-like legs)
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @killingpoople: sure ting Cordazzles, we'll shoot the shat sometime soon. I gots work tomorree and tuesday, so perhaps wodinsday we can swap spit and ideas over a hot cup of yeah. But you were correct, the tattoo was meant to be cliche, i figured going Henna would be off kilter.

@Sauron: Some artists create succubi with the tauren-esque legs, but my intentions were to fake the hoof part with a pair of stilettos, as a mockery kind of thing.

I will definitely need to do some serious texture work. I'm probably going to change this scheme all around together.
    I still want the piece to be a joke though, but with really nice textures and geometry.
    I've got some work ahead of me yet, but I feel it'll all be texture related.
    This picture was my inspiration minus the ridiculously large sword:
    armor-class-less-it-covers-higher-a.jpg

Hopefully the textures will bring this piece together in the end with a side of "wtf."
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kk, so i threw an AO pass on her and started texturing the wings and the new horns.
    I like the darker tone for the wing arm part, I plan to texture it somewhat scaly, like dried skin.
    Lots more to do, like getting rid of that 100% black, but of course that's in due time.
    succubusredux2.jpg

onwards and upwards.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin good bra! Do it to it! yes ! :thumbup: !!
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updayt!
    Im still working on her when i find the time!
    I changed the skin tone to a deeper violetish, magenta color.
    Theres UVs that need tweaking since i changed the armor, I'll do that sometime soon.
    I still have to fix some highlights and things, but any progress is good progress i say.
    tri count is 4084, im gonna find 84 more tris and get her down to 4000.

succupdate.jpg

OH! forgot i made a corset version too, though im leaning more towards the uncorsetted? version. I want to add veins and weird skin discolorations. corset!

succupdatecorset.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I love the proportions of this. But I think if you shrink the head a bit it would be better. Bake some AO into the texture and get a nice sexy spec map for this chick. Oh and SDK this please, because the mesh looks great.
  • rdramsay1121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice going with this character, I like the direction you're taking her. That's a great count you have despite the amount of things you got going on. I'm kinda liking the no corset version since with the corset, it seems to conflict with the breast strap things you got (they're sort of overlapping, seems redundant imo). Great work!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Very impressive. Someday I hope to model things like that (and hopefully not get dissaproving looks from girlfriend or family). Just my personal opinion but im liking the previous smaller corset version to the newer version.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I've got no idea what the grey thing between her tits is, but she's hot and the ass is 10/10.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    That color change has really made this take a new direction! love the look and feel, is much more sinister looking now instead of sickly and zombie-ish. finish it!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    t4paN wrote: »
    I've got no idea what the grey thing between her tits is...

it's probably an untextured plane for a necklace.

definitely shrink the head like josh recommended.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yet again, im still chiseling away on this old house.
    Here she is now with a brand new skin color!
    I still have quite a bit of texturing to do on the armor, i'll get it in due time.
    There's some geometry that i hid in these screen caps, but the total tri count is now 3892.

I shrunk the head as Mr. Singh suggested, i think it made it look a little better. Thank you sir.
    This is just the diffuse, i will make a specular map and that'll be the end of my aesthetic cartography.

As always, im open for crits and comments
    succalmostdone2.jpg
    succalmostdone.jpg

Oh, and the gray areas are places for alpha maps. Necklace, naval ring, and a triple nipple chain.

lol @ panties. "panties"

and "OH" again
    cliche oversized sword for feeble wristed yet extremely tough and independent woman...check!
    succalmostdone3.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice proportions and a very sexy body, fine work :)
    My slight concern is the lips, they seem to look a little glued on and too vibrant a colour for the dark character. Black or purple lipstick would suit better, pinks is for blondes :)
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    succwhiteassteeth.jpg

im sleepy.
    Use Crest brand toothpaste.

/logout