Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

General - wip

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hello, everyone!
I´ve spent couple hours modeling in ZBrush this general fella and I decided to make him as a realtime model also. So, here´s what I was using as an inspiration/concept... let´s make it 50:50 :
http://www.hugewallpaper.com/data/media/78/wallpaper_warhammer_40,000_dawn_of_war_-_winter_assault_03_1680x1050.jpg

Here´s hires model from ZBrush:
generalhipolywipfk9.jpg
Still not very satisfied with the folds on the pants and couple things need tweaking...

And some renders from Max with couple omni lights:
generallowpolywippd6.jpg
So far only the head is using a diffuse texture, very basic, done in ZBrush. But I´d like to model also the rest of the body, normal map it and texture to make this fella my very first completely done portfolio piece.

Replies

• tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice indeed, if i have to criticise it it would be the symetric wrinkles in the arms and the way the folds terminate in each other seems to have something to do with modelling the zbrush program as opposed to natural curves,. Really like the general feel and it looks like it is on the way to being a great peice of work.

tim
  • Evan-0-Matic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like this piece bud. Can't wait to see more progress especially with that illustration as your inspiration.

I'd have to say that the folds on the torso and back are right on, and the gloves look very slick. His expression and overall facial proportions are excellent. The boots need the most refining.
    (f.y.i. ...this advice comes from an concept artist, not a z-brush user)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    His flabby noodle skin boots make me think he can't fill his newly acquired role.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, the boots are a bit off, and I think he's a bit bulkier in the concept, but other than that it's looking great so far.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    I like the proportions. be careful with the wrinkles, they should have natural feeling. the wrinkles in the arms are too hard and strange, in the boots is the same.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments.

tpe - thanks man. Well, the symmetry is quite evident, but I´ll sure change that. I just wanted to have something to work with on both arms and later I´ll make some changes so there are not the same folds on both arms/legs.
    Evan-0-Matic - thank you. I redid the boots. Should look all better now.
    ballo - yep, right now as I look a the wrinkles on the jacket, it looks a little more like a leathery material (mostly on the back), but I kinda like it...

Anyway, here´s some progress after refining the pants, boots,..:
    generalhipolywip2iw2.jpg

and a head closeup:
    generalhipolyheadwip2as6.jpg
    not as great as it could be, the basemesh wasn´t that good like the one I´ve made lately. the eyes could use some refining...

See you later with updates.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

gen01yf9.jpg
    gen02yn9.jpg
    genheaddl6.jpg
    rendernormalsvu8.jpg

The proportions of the lowpoly model may change and I may also tweak the UV so the normal map fits better on some places. Boots are much too lowpoly, I´ll export higher subdiv from ZBrush, simplify it and use it as lowpoly for the boots. Belt will come of course. Also I´m not happy with the gloves that I didn´t even touch since the last update, I think of starting the gloves again from scratch.

Here´s also another face I started last night (still wip, needs some tweaking to get the likeness) to get some rest from general and some work I have to do:
    26168845bz1.jpg
    Anyone wants to guess?
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, everyone!
    Quick update on general - head texturing:
    generaltexturetest.jpg
    My utopistic idea is to get at least a little close to Splinter Cell series quality. It´s still very wip, but do not hesitate to comment and criticize.

Big thanks to Pestibug for some great texturing tips and reducing my Photoshop idiotism.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    now that's nice. i'm surprised you haven't gotten more comments *bookmarks thread* cant wait to see how this turns out :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lots of potential here :)

lol no eyebrow textures yet? hahaa