Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Claffy D's Deepest of Grindlifts

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can say anything you want as criticism, but your criticisms can be criticized as well.

I think some of you think that it has to either be 100% realistic or 100% fantasy. You don't think that 60-75% realism is a valid goal?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    gauss wrote: »
    I wish I had a vagina to get sand in :(

I have two vaginas to get sand in instead of ears-- it is not as cool as it sounds.

[edit]

Hey, maybe the gun shoots caseless ammo and the port is to vent excess gas? Whoa, I just solved how this "impossible" future gun could work with existing gun technology. I don't know shit about guns. You would think you gun experts would have seen the G11 and figured it out before me.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    the bullets would still have to travel to the barrel and end up facing the right way...Being caseless doesn't make it magical, the rounds are packed in a block of powder that isn't that much smaller than a normal bullet + casing. The G11 works similarly to the P90 in that the rounds are rotated 90 degrees while being pivoted into a firing position behind the barrel.

A more serious problem would be the fact that you'd be severely burning your face if any shells or gasses vented out of that hole/slot...which is right where you'd rest your cheek to look down the iron sights or scope...The other one is even more deadly, if that large lighter metallic piece behind the sights (on a bullpup gun no less...how odd) slid open to eject rounds it would chomp off chunks of your cheek every time you fired while looking down the sights...

Here's the thing, these guns are very clearly made out of what LOOK like traditional firearm parts. No one has mentioned the blue face-melt-something gun because it LOOKS like a futuristic sci-fi unexplanable energy weapon. These guns have parts that LOOK like receivers, ejection ports, magazines, etc. So when you see something real, and it doesn't operate like the real world thing it is based on, it is very visually confusing.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Sandbag wrote: »
    For the sake of Dolemite (and the fun of beating a dead horse) here is a quick image as to why the p90 is a good bit less mechanically zany than the other smg:

omgfixedfun.jpg

The P90 just has to rotate the bullet 90 degrees and it's ready to drop straight into the chamber and then be ejected directly out the body (the ejection port is directly under the end of the magazine on the other side). Where as the other gun has quite a twisty path to get to the barrel and then also to be ejected.

Then...well obviously I like the craftsmanship of the gun because I found myself chopping it up to be a little easier on the mechanics...Which is really the only reason I care at all, these are well made weapons, but there are little changes that could make them even better to a mechanically centric firearm fan.

This really isn't necessary, and more importantly, your new gun manages to look rather similar to the assault rifle EQ built...and having similar-looking guns is going to cause them to read poorly.

If you want to "fix" it and make it more functional, all you had to do was line up the ejection port with the barrel:eqsgunkj3.jpg
    (really quick and dirty).

fucking with the ammo just made it boring, moved the cool moving parts to a part of the gun you'll never see, etc. You didn't need to bitch up the whole gun to make it look functional.
  • CaptainCock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptainCock polycounter lvl 17
    Those weapons sure look like dfactos concepts (unusual shapes and lack of bolt handles :P)
    @ninja I am sure it is caseless (also a dfacto "weapon doctrine")

anyways...great textures and the polys are really spend well and show the weapons in first person glory. The props are really nice and you made an excelent job at those specular maps.

Hoe do you actually make those ? Invert the hue and go from there or disaturate the texture or some other secret way :D ?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "A more serious problem would be the fact that you'd be severely burning your face if any shells or gasses vented out of that hole/slot...which is right where you'd rest your cheek to look down the iron sights or scope...The other one is even more deadly, if that large lighter metallic piece behind the sights (on a bullpup gun no less...how odd) slid open to eject rounds it would chomp off chunks of your cheek every time you fired while looking down the sights..."

futuristic super soldiers are genetically engineered to have non-stick heat resistant skin. That way they can make combat jumps from space and not burn up on re entry. gas burning their face is the last thing to worry about.

"Hey, maybe the gun shoots caseless ammo"

I think this is unrealistic because the UN outlawed caseless ammo after the Wisconsin/ Maryland border war of 3075. So this gun isn't only impossible, it's illegal.

Oh they don't share a border? That proves how much you know about future geography.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those weapons sure look like dfactos concepts (unusual shapes and lack of bolt handles :P)
    @ninja I am sure it is caseless (also a dfacto "weapon doctrine")

anyways...great textures and the polys are really spend well and show the weapons in first person glory. The props are really nice and you made an excelent job at those specular maps.

Hoe do you actually make those ? Invert the hue and go from there or disaturate the texture or some other secret way :D ?

Yep yep, its Martin "Dfacto" Shapev's concept work for sure. So remember everyone, be sure to send the hate-mail directly to him. And yeah i think most of the future weapons were caseless of some sort, actually i think this one was designed to have some crazy ejection system, but we never implimented it ingame, so lets say its caseless.

Martin should be posting some of his concepts here soon when he gets permision on what he can show, there were some cool thumnails and variations for a few of these weapons i'm sure people would want to see.

As far as the spec, theres no real secret to it, and i dont do anything specific, its just a matter of working on both the spec and the diffuse at the same time, they work best when they work together. =)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    IT shoots rocket BEEs

debate finished.
  • dolemite
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This shit is rad!! And by shit I mean feces, and rad I mean RADically inaccurate and totally WRONG!

Fun stuff! I wanna play with Marmoset already!
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic work, Earthquake ! Love that flamethrower. At least, I think its a flamethrower :P Regardless, badass !!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    hahaha great way to turn an awesome art thread into a nerd-debate :).
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing work, dont care if they look "functional" or not, they look cool as hell, thats all I care about mmhmm!

EQ, you are my new idol =D
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    looks and looks "functional", all that matters. it's a good design.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    For the record none of it is my fault. All EQ.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    shut it , go back to your deustche !!! fool...
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    it all looks f'in superb.
    as close to real as it gets with current tech.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheez wrote: »
    Fantastic work, Earthquake ! Love that flamethrower. At least, I think its a flamethrower :P Regardless, badass !!

Its a microwave gun, in all practicallity it melts the fuck out of dudes and lights them on fire, so yeah really is a flame thrower. =D
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    har, just had to put my professor hat on:
    here's some more fix. one of the other big problems with the gun seems to be the
    long distance.. deja vu. have i posted in this thread before?
    oh anyways, doing these changes gives room for the magazine, shortens the distance the bullets have to travel into the magazine, increases magazine capacity by about double, and makes it somewhat more mechanically viable, while retaining the iconic shape. can't get much better than that?
    eqsgunkjfix2.jpg

the bolt mechanism would be fairly simple. just some sort of "grabber" on either side of the bullets nose, that rotates the bullet into a horizontal position, just in front of the bolt, which then chambers the round.
    the grabber could be operated by the bolt movement too.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gun shoots rainbows, why does it need a loading mechanism?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    The gun shoots rainbows, why does it need a loading mechanism?

to be able to chamber the rainbows.

here, have some rayguns:

weta_raygun.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    rofl kp, I didn't notice the mario level at first but that's classic. too bad you didn't make one of the bullets into a bullet bill.

however they do look like penises.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unwanted.jpg

why engineers hate artists.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Which is why engineers aren't the ones making art for games.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Which is why engineers aren't the ones making art for games.

yeah they are. they make games known as "simulators".
    here's an example of a simulator:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_XNf4elAI[/ame]
    this startup sequence you do before each flight.
    the game itself consists of half an hour of flying, 3-4 minutes of action, and then another half hour of flying, before you do the shutdown procedure.
    and then there's stuff like this: http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/Cutaway.jpg
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right but Darkest of Days neither of those
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatnumpty wrote: »
    right but Darkest of Days neither of those

COD4 was awesome. it was planted decently realistically into the ground,
    but wasn't overly technical. and shooting people actually made them die.
    GOW2 SP was a lame shooting gallery with guns that shot marshmallows and happy thoughts.
    looked pretty though.

which one is darkest of days closer to?

actually, as long as a shooter has lots of enemies that i can kill with 1-2 shots, i'm happy.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I like it. I just imagine the bullets teleport to the barrel and shoot out. magic guns FTW!!!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    That car picture is distressing to me; it's just a beautifully airbrushed work of art, with giant dots and massive opaque speech bubbles STABBING into it. I hope Darkest of Days lays off the opaque speech bubbles and white circles, at least.

Because it would hide the beautiful guns EQ is making, ohoh!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    I like it. I just imagine the bullets teleport to the barrel and shoot out. magic guns FTW!!!

so if you have technology to teleport bullets into the barrel, why not teleport a bomb into the enemy camp instead. and why hasn't the world been blown up by terrorists teleporting into nuclear silos, and then teleporting those warheads into the major cities of the world.

besides, teleportation is inefficient over shorter distances.
    it requires that you transform the entire mass of an object into pure energy, then send it along the electromagnetic spectrum through radio waves, and then convert that energy back into mass again, with each atom having to be located at exactly the same place as the original atom when it was teleported. the energy required for this process is gargantuan.
    nothing short of antimatter annihilation is capable of creating the energy required to teleport an object, and this is a process which generates 20 times more energy than fusion power.

and in addition you need some sort of lordly monolith supercomputer with memory banks far in excess of what is available on every single computer today.
    it would have to process every single part of an atom, with accuracy below nano-level.
    and just think about this. 1 ampere is equal to 6E18 electrons per second.
    that basically means, if you took a cable, and cut a 1mm long piece out of it, the amount of electrons in that cable would equal to a 6, wth 18 zeros after it. you can triple that number, and you'll have the amount of processes neccesary to teleport a 1 by 1mm piece of copper wire from one location to another.
    and then you need that device which can accurately place all of these atoms.

in about 2025, we'll have supercomputers capable of processing 10E18 electrons per second,
    but we'll still need the immense amounts of energy, and the placing mechanism.
    thats also when we'll have the ability to simulate the brains neural network, and create true AI's.

there's also the issue of cost. one microgram of antimatter would cost 60 million to produce.
    and containing it is another issue.
    dropping the rifle could cause the antimatter to touch the walls, which would cause the rifle to blow up with the force of a tsar bomba.
    throwing the rifle at your enemy would be far more efficient in this case.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    dejawolf wrote: »
    yeah they are. they make games known as "simulators".
    here's an example of a simulator:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_XNf4elAI
    this startup sequence you do before each flight.
    the game itself consists of half an hour of flying, 3-4 minutes of action, and then another half hour of flying, before you do the shutdown procedure.
    and then there's stuff like this: http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/Cutaway.jpg

This is a total guess but I am fairly sure an artist had to help with that. An engineer developed the tools that helped the artist tie his little models of switches flipping to user control in the engine.

The type of art that real hardcore engineer nerds make is most likely not much more than 2-bit pixel art.

Ultima1-3.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KP, pretty close, but this is the official documentation right here:
    itshootsaidsha2.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite wrote: »
    really top stuff! Be nice to see some more shots of the face melting gun..

Yeah thanks dude, i'll try to get some more shots of what my GF affectionately refers to as the Jizz-Blower w/ Speaker Attachment.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    This is a total guess but I am fairly sure an artist had to help with that. An engineer developed the tools that helped the artist tie his little models of switches flipping to user control in the engine.

The type of art that real hardcore engineer nerds make is most likely not much more than 2-bit pixel art.

einstein played violin. and he was pretty good at it too.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "so if you have technology to teleport bullets into the barrel, why not teleport a bomb into the enemy camp instead"

Nothing dead will go. The bullets are tiny cocks.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work there EQ. gives me lots of ideas.

dejawolf, haha, thats really interesting read. but this is coming from a guy who thinks watching how they make things as lame as bottlecaps on the discovery channel.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dolemite wrote: »
    "so if you have technology to teleport bullets into the barrel, why not teleport a bomb into the enemy camp instead"

Nothing dead will go. The bullets are tiny cocks.

at least that would explain why the bullets are slightly more effective than wet towels at killing enemies.
    it however does not explain what differentiates tiny cocks from "dead" matter.
    technically, there is no difference between matter in a dead object and a living object, at least on the atomic level.
    the reason living matter "lives" is because of how it is connected together.
    cocks are just a bunch of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, but mixed in a unique way, and then shaped to serve an important function.
    its actually a far more complex job to teleport objects of flesh and spongy stuff, than it is teleporting a dead object like a lump of jacketed lead.
    the atoms in living tissue is constantly moving, so what would be in one location, would in the next second be located in a completely different location.
    the best way to teleport living tissue would be to freeze every single atom down to absolute zero in less than 1 millisecond, and then thawing it out after the energy of that object has been transfered to the other location and then converted back to mass, which is yet another technological hurdle.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero wrote: »
    Very nice work there EQ. gives me lots of ideas.

dejawolf, haha, thats really interesting read. but this is coming from a guy who thinks watching how they make things as lame as bottlecaps on the discovery channel.

yeah, i've been fascinated by drying paint myself :P
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto: hahaha. the "sad" thing here is that... well... it wouldnt surprise me if that was true. ;)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus H Christ EQ would you jsut go away already... You've already made me remake all my artwork once with your damn awesome-ness now you want to make me try too???

God damn it... Theres a serious lack of games out there with art this good. I cant wait to see what project your working on.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss wrote: »
    I wish I had a vagina to get sand in :(

ahaha!!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah thanks dude, i'll try to get some more shots of what my GF affectionately refers to as the Jizz-Blower w/ Speaker Attachment.

I would like pictures of guns and not pictures of your dick wearing headphones plz

yes more pictures!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little unofficial update for anyone hoping to get the tools. Word is that the model viewer will be the easiest thing to release, don't hold me to it but maybe within the next month or so. With the model viewer comes a few more misc things, like a particle editor, rag-doll tools and HDR cubemap generator as well. We'll release at minimuim the maya exporter along with it, and there has been talk of an OBJ loader as well, but the maya stuff is real easy to use if thats all we end up doing.

Theres some technical stuff that we'll have to figure out with the level editor, but we'de like to release that too. Of course that wouldn't be released until after the game ships.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    See there you go, Dejawolf's paintover works great and doesn't even take away any of the precious slanty magazine bits. All it took was a little bit of extra space and the concept went from cool looking but ridiculous to cool looking and mechanically viable. This is why it comes off as very lazy to me to not even bother thinking about that in the first place.

I'd be flattered if something I made got picked apart with this much attention and constructive criticism + paintover.

And for the record I also tend to watch How Its Made now and then...
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Those guns are awesome!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    rad stuff EQ, really nice all around.

lol hard and long at this thread..