Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Byder

Hey All,
So I thought it was time to start posting some of my WIP stuff here on polycount!
All crits welcome :D
~C

Busy working on this Windmill, not for any game specifically just for a bit of practice!!!

byder_windmill_04.jpg

Replies

• The Master Elite
    Looks nice. Love the details...keep up the good work.
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey 'Master Elite'
    Thanks for the comment :) Its down to a matter of finding the time to finish the bad boy. Looks like it will be sometime in the New Year ;)
    ~C
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So its a new year... I have made a few small changes so far!!
    C&C Welcome
    ~C :D

byder_windmill_05.jpg

byder_windmill_06.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    good stuff.

wheres the bottom?!? show us the bottom!!
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey whipSwitch :) What do you mean show the bottom?!

Otherwise, been managing to spend sometime working on my windmill again! Yay! icon_wink.gif I have begun detailing the door. I have gone with a nice rustic wooden look with a few covers over old key holes, as if they windmill has been owned by a few people who kept changing the lock. The door frame is still to come, and all the hinges! Also the step is just a place holder for now, its gonna need a few cracks and chips modeled into it.

byder_windmill_09.jpg

This is the first render of the windmill with the cloth added to the sails. Its a first pass for major cloth forms, coz eventually when I get to texturing they will be slightly more ragged on the edges and have some finer wrinkles visible too. icon_biggrin.gif

byder_windmill_08.jpg

Its coming along slowly….. icon_biggrin.gif

~C
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Haha, my bad, didn't notice the door in the previous renders, and thought it was the top of a larger tower.
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, no probs!! ;)
    So I have begun detailing the back of the mill, and adding ropes etc to the sails!

byder_windmill_10.jpg

• byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So its coming along nicely now, added the windows on the lower floor, some more rope rigging on the sails, the small intricate detail under the eves on the front, and also the tie down poles on the ground around the windmill.
    Just for fun I added the rickety old fence! :D

byder_windmill_11.jpg

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow you really are putting alot of work into this windmill! any reason? is it gonna have massive normal maps to capture all that detail?

by the way Im an ex south african. Ive been away 4 years
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ged,
    Nice to run into another SA person, even if you are an ex ;)

Its basically being done for a portfolio piece, my current job puts me more on the technical side of 3D and not the creative arty side. I just desperately need to get into that creative stuff again. Thus the windmill was born!! ;)

Yup, gonna hit it hard with normal maps. But may leave some details modeled in. :D

• byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently began retopologising the Windmill for the Low Resolution Game Version, currently the Blades & Sails have been complete and I have moved onto the body of the mill itself!

byder_windmill_12.jpg

• psychoticprankster
    Very nice. I've enjoyed this Image. Keep the creativity coming. :)
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in between learning Modo, which is totally awesome from my dabblings so far!!

I have finally gotten around to Retopo'ing the rest of the windmill! Its come out at 5,127 polys which is pretty good in my opinion!

So far I have baked all my occlusion, normal, etc passes and will now be moving onto texturing! I am aware of the weird dark edging around the windows etc, that I will be fixing shortly!!

I'm really excited to see this guy textured. :D

byder_windmill_14.jpg

byder_windmill_15.jpg

:D