Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Street Level

Just working on a level / environment art piece, and wanted to post the WiP up at polycount to get crits and suggestions, as always

its my first project of the year, starting on the first day of the year.
i want to gauge where my skill-set is at the moment, then be able to look back at the end of the year.

well, enough talk, more art:

medievalStreet_WIP01.jpg

just a couple of modular pieces i made in a few hours' work

medieval Europe is my main reference; especially the walking street and docks at Copenhagen

at the moment not really looking for anything specific, but if you notice anything bad / good thats worth a mention, then please do

cheers!

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Nice start. I do have a crit for the fountain, I'd make it more interesting. It seems pretty plain-Jane. Add more geometric detail for the lip. Try to define it's "age".

Here are some fountains from that time period:

marienbrunnen2.jpg

Rhodes+City,+Medieval+Fountain+026.jpg

258%20Rome%20Tour%20-%20Another%20Fountain%20in%20Bruno%27s%20Medieval%20Square.jpg
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far. Remember, often there is unevenness, sagging etc. in buildings from those times, especially the wooden buildings.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start. what level of detail are you going for? will you be viewing these from a perspective of the street? or from up high? id imagine street, if so, you need more detail especially on the fountain. and bevel some edges and move around some verts so they're not so mechanical
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow sorry for the _late_ reply.
    school work and general stress about uni applications had kinda pushed this project 'back' in terms of priority
    also a small pet project came in the way etc etc
    a bit less stressed now, so a little bit of work got done.

its not much, but i wanted to 'revive' the thread and the project in a way.
    medievalStreet_WIP02.jpg

other than that
    thanks for the crits, suggestions, and references
    im headed more for a street level look. so higher res along the streets, yes. I tried taking the criticism about the fountain, and added a bit more to it. i still think it needs something, but im not sure what, just yet.
    as for the uneveness, sagging etc, im still trying to look for wires around the internet, trying to find a place where i can see how that was done. Often times, i learn best while looking at wireframes / end products / processes of other artists. Either way, i decided that i would make everything 'perfect' first, and then later make a 'damaged pass' where ill create multiple damaged versions of most pieces.

once again, thanks for the crits and comments.
    hopefully, by feb, after exams, this project will pick up the pace.
    im also working on an indie game with a few friends, so thats taking some time away too lol

cheers guys!
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what your fountain is missing to cap it off is: you have circular shapes at the base, and blocked shapes up the column, to round it off...the column needs a rounded shape as it's head-piece. That would give it more of a complete look. Be it a pointed cone, a ball, some ornate flower design or what have you, the reason it sticks out as incomplete is the fact this piece is missing. The other thing most medieval fountains have that I've seen, is some sort of collection plate near the top/middle of the pillar, as a means to double the "waterfall effect" of the fountain. That might help make it fit into your scene better.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    my only crit, and this isn't for indian_boy is that the fountain refs posted here are not really Medieval, they are quite a bit later than that, unless your going for something roman i would make it quite chunky with the odd gargoyle type head as detail. i agree with a rounded top feature to help the comp
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the pointers guys

here's a very small update:
    medievalStreet_WIP03.jpg
    i know that i didn't work on much, but its crunch atm for high school's first semester - final projects and exams comming up this week and next. in the meanwhile, i was experimenting a bit with the fountain, and researching other props etc that the scene could potentially use.

once again, thanks guys
    cheers
    larger updates should come sometime soon when i gather some energy and time together
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added a bit more in there
    3 types of shop stalls are the main addition
    medievalStreet_WIP04.jpg
    from left to right, they are
    - wooden top
    - canopy top, supported by wooden frame
    - canopy top, supported by wooden 'columns'

will probably sit down later today to make things for the shops to contain, and maybe make some crates / bags of grain etc

cheers!
  • Coffee.Black.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    =) love the canopy top with the wooden frame, the fountain is really nice too!