Home Technical Talk

ZBrush tools fully white

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
So decided to dick around with ZBrush for the first time, loaded up my basemesh, saved it as a tool, closed ZBrush, re-opened the tool later to find it fully white, like so:

35i5288.jpg

I am a complete idiot when it comes to ZBrush, so could anyone tell me what's going on?

/e The other tools load up fine.

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Well, the first thing I'd try is repeating the process with a different model import.
    Also, what format are you importing? .obj? try another one. Also, try flipping the normals.

The fact that it looks fine in the preview but bad in the viewport actually to me seems to be a Zbrush Materials/Lighting screwup or setting.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    It looks like you've got a flat colour material on it, have you tried just changing materials?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    look under the render dropdown, check if it says "flat" if so change it to preview.

the background is the give away here, it changed from a gradient to solid mid grey, i think this saved in the tool.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    look under the render dropdown, check if it says "flat" if so change it to preview.

the background is the give away here, it changed from a gradient to solid mid grey, i think this saved in the tool.

It's set to preview.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    crazy, if its not the material or the render settings, then it might be something you should take to zbrush central, i dont think i have encountered this before, and i thought i had seen everything.. heh,

if there is only 1 subD try export an obj, and then create a new tool and load up the obj, if there are several then do the same thing, just divide the model after you import and load up the subdivisions.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    along with everything else mentioned, worth checking
    under tool dropdown, go down to texture, and make sure colorize is turned off ?
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, doesn't work either.

Just restarted, seems to work fine now. :shifty:

Bit OT, but is there a way to prevent the lips from tarding up when subdividing?

Muddy
    sqjyu1.jpg

Zbrush
    2ccm62e.jpg

/e And how to change the canvas color?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    the color of the canvas you can change in the document tab, drag range to 0, and change the color of "Back".

for the lips, you can either add a few more loops at the border, or crease the inner most face loop by hiding everything but those, and hit crease in the modeling dropdown in the tools menue.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like it would be more convenient to just "untard" the lips as you're sculpting..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you could make a morph target for the lip tard stuff and use the morph brush to get it back to the right shape, but probably a bit overkill.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Uncheck "SMT" next to Divide. Now divide just 1 iteration with SMT off. Your lips should retain their shape from the low poly version. The problem is your entire shape will retain the low poly shape, so you'll have to smooth everything else out. Use a very low setting on smooth.

I wouldn't suggest doing this very much. SMT should be on almost all of the time because without it you get a bumpy look in places you might not want. A person should just sculpt most of it out anyway. Using pinch around the lips after you sculpt a bit out will help keep their form.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd just extrude the lips in to the mouth
  • TOMSONJO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TOMSONJO polycounter lvl 2
    I guess it is just a funny coincidence, but the OP's screenshot now shows the woman in white shirt on the web cam (reused picture url?).