Home Technical Talk

Suggestive practice modelling subjects

Hi everyone.

I don't know how well this is going to work but we will see.

Recently I've been trying to modeling various things for practice. But I found a little bit of a problem. When I'm ready to pick something new to model... I shy away from anything that is too hard. Here are two examples of what I've modeled:

Mailbox:
untitled-11.png

Toaster:
capturef.png

What I'm getting at is... I need some suggestions to model. Things to model that I will learn from but I won't have to find help for each step along the way. I'm going to try and model everything but obviously if there are 10 posts in the next hour I'm not going to be able to. Also, if you have a suggestion for me to model and you think that I should learn how to model it before I model something else (due to the level of difficulty), let me know.

Things to include in your post:
- Name of object
- Reference Image (if possible)
- Techniques suggested to use while modeling (tools)
- Maybe include a rough polycount I should try to achieve.

Hopefully this will be a good learning experience and I will get a lot of it. :)

Talbot

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    not to model at the beginning:
    - humans, because: they usually end up looking like alien hands anyway + requires alot anatomy knowledge

what you can model:
    - anything that catches your interest and skill,- if you cant find that you are not creative enough imo. if its about the technical archivement look out for objects that that provoke your desire to try and master the details in it. Its really personal imo. thats what beein a artist is all about.
    It sounds like a kid that does not know what to create with its lego pieces and asks for advice- I never seen a child like that- because usually one always had something in mind he/she wanted to create- its imagination that drives us,- teaches us our limits and the practical skills.

maybe post a bit about your interests,- I know from myself and many others that they like to model things they really like. Often those things are Objects/Characters,... from media people see like movies, news, photos, galleries, anime, manga, comic, exhibition, books, stories,.... so get your interest from those things for example.
    Once you have something you desire to create you can always simplify matters like the level of detail, execution style ect.

Try to be more you own instead of relying on others ideas,- also try to look out for fresh ideas not everyone else has done yet e.g not yet another hulk/ orc/ HK-gun,...

some web places I often visit to get inspired and ideas are:
    http://ffffound.com/
    http://www.deviantart.com/
    but I have also alot of books from architecture, art themes (.eg jugendstil, US 60`s,..), Mangas, Artbooks, Photo series (countries, cultures,...), Graphic arts, general design, art, ect. So usually I dont even have to ask myself what direction to go- instead I usually already have a direction to go.

like I said,- perhaps list up some interests- maybe I can dig up some good resources for it,- I have a very big library of books, digital stuff ect.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Try to be more you own instead of relying on others ideas,- also try to look out for fresh ideas not everyone else has done yet e.g not yet another hulk/ orc/ HK-gun,...

Thank you for the advice.

I'm sort of like a kid with a big box a legos in front of him that doesn't know what to make. :P I really don't know what to make... I've searched places like DeviantArt but I still haven't really been inspired on what to make. I'm not really looking for an idea for a scene to model, more of just simple objects.

I guess my thoughts when I created this thread were that I only have a week left of vacation and at school I don't have much free time. Today I spent 3 hours trying to figure out what to make. I have thought of scenes that I could make but everything I think of takes a lot time to prep before I even start modeling. I simply don't know what to do.

By my "interests" what do you mean? Examples?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well be my guest then, how about this victorian house:
    victorianhousemodelinghr5.jpg
    if you want to keep it simple,- dont go to much into detail here,- the roof front e.g could be simplified or somewhat changed.
    You even have some blueprints on the bottom,- happy modeling
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    well be my guest then, how about this victorian house

I'm sorry. I didn't mean "thanks" in a sarcastic or bad way at all. I even am acting on what you said. I'm really in rally racing. So I'm going to take MoP's idea of hubcaps and model the hubcaps of a Subaru WRX STi. :)

Depending on what other ideas people suggest... I think I'm going to model the house next. Surprisingly, I think I can model it. :P

Thanks (in a none sarcastic way) :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    hubcaps
    untitle333d-1.png

I didn't make the bolts. I might... idk. Also as you can tell it is high poly...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah man not bad, but if it's high poly do freakin high detail DO IT ALL YEAHHHHH
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Talbot wrote: »
    When I'm ready to pick something new to model... I shy away from anything that is too hard.

You should always try and push yourself outside of your comfort zone so that you can learn and improve. To begin with, I would say just try looking for more complex shapes around you that still are composed of hard surfaces but not quite as perfectly angular. For example, I was just looking at the phone that sits on my desk here at home. This isn't the exact model, but it will serve for demonstrative purposes:

vtech-vt20-2431.jpg

See how the surfaces are more round and the angles less sharp than the examples you posted? This could present a nice challenge outside of your comfort zone.

Don't shy away from the challenges, learn to embrace them and give them your best shot. This is the only way that you will continue to learn and grow as an artist.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, don't worry about what to make, when this turns into a job, there will plenty of people telling you what to make =P

Make anything, just don't make the same thing over and over again. It's good to push yourself a little but don't take on things that will frustrate you, especially since this is a hobby/passion thing right now.

I'd go browse www.the-blueprints.com and see if there's anything you like.
    Or if you're up for a full fledged scene of urban decay, hit up www.opacity.us.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, spend less time doing GI renders, and more time modeling!

Secondly, take a look at this thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Secondly, take a look at this thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014

I looked at that thread a couple days ago but sort of forgot about it. I'm going to make a post about the phone AstroZombie posted above. I need some help figuring out the most efficient way to model it.

By the way by GI renders... what do you mean?

AstroZombie: I'm going to start working on the phone you posted. But like I said to EarthQuake, I'm going to need a little help. If you have a good idea how to model the phone maybe you can go find my post in his thread and help me out. The main thing I need help with are the buttons. :P

Vig: That was part of the reason why I wanted to make this thread. If I do really want to become an Environment Artist I'm not always going to be modeling what I want. So I should probably learn how to model stuff I don't want to but finding a way to have it connect to me personnaly. Like I did with the wheel. Man I love Subaru WRX's! :)

Cody: I think I'm going to need some help making the detail (physical texture) in that. I'm going to save that for another time.

Thanks everyone.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

the man know's what he's saying
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    the man know's what he's saying

Then can you tell me what GI renders are?

Thanks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Global Illumination, its an option inside of Mental Ray, known to take quite a while render (there are faster ways to pull off the same effect), it also hides deformities pretty well, making bad models look "ok".

Great models don't need a fancy light setup to look awesome, they stand up on their own...
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh... Ummm I didn't do that. I just put a dark grey plane down, made the wheel light grey, dropped a sky light (checked shadows), clicked render, and then had dinner. :P

I will just take a screenshot with and without sub-d.

With Sub-d:
    with.png

Without Sub-d:
    without.png

Hope this helps. :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skylight = GI =D or radiosity, whatever you want to call it. A fancy, SLOW rendering solution that dosent make your models look any better, unless you actually know how to create a nice setup. This is pretty common with begginers, but really tends to hide more than it shows.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I'd go browse www.the-blueprints.com and see if there's anything you like.
    Or if you're up for a full fledged scene of urban decay, hit up www.opacity.us.

I just checked out www.opacity.us... that is some sketchy stuff. Anyway... I'm going to be making something that I found off that website...
    0000004302.jpg

I will start working on it right now... well actually after I change my gamertag. :)

I would be honored if you would provide your legendary advice in the Pimping and Previews thread I will be creating for this journey I'm about to embark on. haha