Home General Discussion

WTF KINDA FLU IS THIS???

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Man, this Christmas was destroyed this year by whatever I have come down with. First I start getting a cough, with my voice dropping like 3 octives. Then I get a double ear ache where my head starts filling up with fluid ( this also includes huge sinus pressure ) Then on my 5th day in I can't hold anything down and my ears clear up, only to fill back up and the sinus pressure increasing the next day. Here it is on my 7th day being sick ( last weekend was when the cough started in ) And even though I am on some antibiotics and claritin, I can't see this thing getting out of me soon. Just curious if anyone else has had a dreadfull time with some sickness this season, and hopefully you guy's letting me know you survived will give me hope!!!!

Spark

Replies

• killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Who knows what kind of super germs you've been in contact with at id Studios.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If only there were professionals who analyzed and treated this kind of a problem...
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Ack, that sucks man.

On a side not though, it seems like you're most of the way through making your own version of "the 12 days of christmas" carol.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    there was this nasty virus going around Gearbox back September I was sick for about 2 weeks. You need to get yourself outside and enjoy the crazy wind and sunshine before the cold front moves in today.
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    ack... get well soon man.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    Captain trips

it has begun. Who wants to be trashcan man?
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I got about the same going on...been taking alot of generic mucinex..and its seemed to help out alot....nothing like coughing up chunks of snot that you probly should have chewed on the way down...drinking lots and lots of water has really helped too
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like you need to start in on the leeches, man.
  • seven
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    my wife and I got something along those lines a couple weeks ago. We never got to the puking part but it sucked ass. Taking it easy and sleeping a lot helped my wife. I don't sleep a whole lot... so I don't know why I got better.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    That sounds like you need some rest
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    That sounds pretty serious.
    I read a news story where a guy had similar symptoms and died.
    Here's the Link
    Get better soon man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    OH...OOOOH...oh. you got me. right there. BAM. got me.

you're good.
  • Psixos
    This flu things been pretty common. A study of real life away from the internet may help. I always found helping others gives a great sense of fufilment and can make you well from within. With this flu bug, sleep depravation can also make a person act, do or say things that do not reflect the true inner person. To help with the cough and sleeplessness issue, often its better to quit talking for a while and forget about things.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    sounds like the rage virus dude....
  • foreverendering
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    That sucks, Spark. Get well soon man

Here was my fun health-related experience during the holiday season :

Normally I like to go out for a run in the evenings. A couple weeks ago, I left for a run and on my way back, my hands, feet, and tongue started going numb as I felt a tingling sensation all over my body. My vision started getting fuzzy and I felt like I was going to black out. Luckily I was close enough to our apartment that I was able to make my way back home, though I had to stop several times due to shortness of breath / general wooziness.

By the time I got inside I pretty much had to immediately lie down on the carpet and my wife was freaking out because my entire body was covered in hives. She wanted to call 911 but I (probably stupidly) wanted to wait it out claiming that I just needed some rest. I took some of her claritin because although I have never had any allergies growing up, I thought it must be some kind of allergic reaction. Eventually my whole body started shaking as I guess my adrenaline was kicking in to combat the lowered blood pressure. That lasted about 20 minutes and after an hour or so the hives started going away so I was feeling better although pretty weak.

Anyway, long story short I've now had 3 sessions with an Allergist who told me that I went into something called anaphylactic shock (hope I said that right) from a severe allergy. According to him we definitely should have called 911 - oops. Unfortunately they have yet to figure out what it is that I was allergic to. They've injected me with about 100 different things and nothing has turned up so far that could be the cause of it. So for now they have me carrying around an epi-pen filled with adrenaline at all times in case it happens again. I get to stab myself in the leg with it if it comes down to it, yippee

They're still trying to figure out what it is. My suspicion is that I run by a lot of crops and there is a plant nursery where I first started having the symptoms. So I'm thinking that maybe there is some kind of pesticide that was sprayed out there that caused it.

Well that ended up being a bit of a long post. I have more doctor's appointments upcoming and I'm also banned from running down my usual route for the time being. Also now my family teases me about being sickly. I think more than anything the whole experience has just taken me by surprise because I've never had any signs of allergies before. Hopefully we can figure it out soon enough.
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guy's thanks for the replies, and Singh you caught me on that one as well:) Foreverendering, yah I had no allergies up to a few years ago, when I ate something that had MSG in it, and that sent me into the same thing, hives...sweats..so on that they had to call an ambulance. A few months later I ate some PF Chaings that suppossedly didn't have MSG in it and that put me into the hospital ( this was after I used the Epinepherene gun and stuck it into my leg..wierd experience ), along with a difficult recovery from some bad reactions to the steroids they put in me. They can't test for MSG but did say that you can be fine for like 40 yrs, eating the same thing daily...and just one day you can go into anaphylactic shock and die. Cheery for sure:)
    Still feel like $%!#, but it's like at 30%, where it was at 100%:) so I guess I am getting better.

Spark
    't
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, stupid airplanes and their recycled air. I caught something from one of the dozens of likely infected, filthy humans that were on my flight home. Took my vacation down a notch or two for sure. Should have brought the teleporter into the shop for a tune-up and avoided this mess altogether.
  • Codeman
    2 words - flu shot

GWS!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    creeping death
  • Mark Dygert
  • Mark Dygert
    Vassago wrote: »
    creeping death
    Indeed...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuOxeOrOJGg[/ame]
    Hope you get better soon!
  • o2car
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    what doesnt kill you makes you ....
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    ugg, I'm sitting here after having a puke fest and a diarrhea attack. I woke up to my wife puking, then about an hour later, I started. Good thing I finished our second bathroom in our basement :/
    My inlaws had to take my wife to the doctor about 2 hours ago, because I was too wiped out to do anything. She's getting fluids pumped in and found out that apparently a GI virus is going around. What a shitty day (literally).
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Mmmm can't see the first page of this thread anymore, as it keeps crashing. Damn Notman, sorry to hear that as I know how you feel....so hope the best for you and your wife. I went to the doctor's today, as they finally opened, and the doctor said that I had Bronchitis, with a possibility of Phnemonia. He didn't give me an xray, as my lungs sounded like they were clearing up, and suggested I get the z-pack which is a antibiotic for the lungs and such. I think I am clearing out of this, but man I hope everyone can avoid this as it can really knock you on your @$$!

Spark
  • pixelpusher
    Its Sinusitis. Ive had it for 2.5 weeks.

Get lots of fluids, and stay away from caffeine, chocolate, cigs, wheat products, cheese, etc...

Rest as much as possible and sleep sitting up.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    SupRore wrote: »
    If only there were professionals who analyzed and treated this kind of a problem...

Hmm...perhaps that's the proffesional HE ACQUIRED PRESCRIPTION MEDS from?

;)
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Both the wife and I have the same kind of fluey symptoms Spark is describing. I knew before I got ill that it was coming.. I went for a crap and it smelled 'poorly' then the day after, I got sick. Having kids taught me to look out for that.

I've moved floors at work, and the aircon has just had an overhaul - I reckon the flu soup's getting stirred up and thrown all over us.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Spark wrote: »
    ... I had Bronchitis, with a possibility of Phnemonia.

Good luck with that. My kids use to suffer from that almost every year when they were younger. It's usually gone after a week, but it can very quickly turn into pneumonia. One of my daughters spent a night in the hospital because of it. Take it easy until things are cleared up ;)
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    this thread infected me! :(
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm...perhaps that's the proffesional HE ACQUIRED PRESCRIPTION MEDS from?

;)

Well then his first mistake was going to a pharmacist for diagnosis.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I just farted .. does that count ?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Gmanx wrote: »
    I went for a crap and it smelled 'poorly'.

How the fuck does a turd NOT smell poorly?...

lulz
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Haha, don't everybody's turds normally smell of lavender?
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    earpain can be relieved by stuffing garlic in there.