Home Technical Talk

"Terrain material missing shader map" (UE3)

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
So I was attempting to add specular and normal maps to the materials on an existing piece of terrain already made and I turned it into a rainbow fantasy mess. When I check for errors it says TERRAIN MATERIAL: Missing Shader Map & TERRAIN MATERIAL: Total Texture count 17...yada yada

Just wondering if there is a way to get that all to show without having to remake the terrain?

EDIT: A bit of research leads me to someone saying 12 is the max # of texture samples that can be shown...is this adjustable? or even true?

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Did you save your package the terrain materials were made in before you exited?

Terrain isn't the most peformance friendly item in UE3. I try to tell people that using specular is a complete waste of time on terrain. For the most part you should keep your terrain shaders as simple as possible. The fewest instructions as possible and setting up the lod distances and all that will help with performance.

If I am reading your post right you are saying you have 12 different textures / shaders on your terrain. If so then STOP NOW! Seriously that is gonna be a huge chug fest on performance.

I say that 4 is the max you should ever use. You gotta remember terrain is usually dynamically lit by default unless you change that option and you should.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you save your package the terrain materials were made in before you exited?

Yep and now I can't seem to delete them out. I've broken the connections in the material editors and deleted the texture samples there, updated, saved...but it still says 17 in the error check.

Muy confuso.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    can you post some screenies?

May need to just delete all textures that are assigned to the terrain depending on how much you have done and how much would have to be redone.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I stepped out for a bit. I think I've got it. Yeah specular is pretty pointless as I'm finding. Much easier to stay below 12 now.