Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shotgun

I am working on a shot gun for my game Nation Of The Dead. The gun right now is at 326tris, but before it was at 1.3k tris. This is the first gun i have ever completed. I am proud of it.
I need to unwrap it but I don't know how to unwrap things good enough so I can texture them.

Replies

• carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres a little button that looks like a picture frame. That is the insert image button. It's to the left of the speech bubble. Click that then when the input box comes up put the link to your picture.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMG%5DHere is a wire shot of the gun
    1137492IMG%5Da%3EShottyscreen.jpg

Here is a picture of the gun with the reloading piece thing(i dont know the name)
    Shottyscreen1.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    yes it does. or your own webhosting.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i got it to work..I couldn't get the image thing to work so I just posted the IMG url thing that photobucket gives you.. The image is really big I know, but I tried to re-size it and it didn't do anything.:poly127:
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! I have unwrapped the gun!!!:thumbup:
    But I have no clue how to make a texture for it. I have photoshop Element 6 and I think I still have PS CS4 demo...So if anyone has any tips on how to make a texture sheet that would be great!

Hope you like it!

EDIT!!!(FORGOT IMAGE)
    shottyuvyj7.jpg
    w1280.png
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume you mean something like this:
    uvfacelayout.jpg
    Just use that script and open the picture in PS and you have your wires on a sheet.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't know about that.. Thank you! I noticed that your UV lay out has Red dots instead of Pink/Purple ones. Why is that?? Did you mess around with the settings?

Thank you for your help
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're just pinned. You can help LSCM to unwrap the way you want by using pinning. Also if you want to unwrap just some of the islands again then you can pin one vertex per island you want to keep the way they are.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh..Thank you for that information. I don't know if I can texture this because I have no clue how. I am not much of a texture artist.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    well there's literally no better time to start. I don't know blender personally but I'm sure someone here can help you with exporting the UV's, or you can do it the old fashion way and printscreen the UV layout. after you have that, bring it in to a painting program like Gimp or Photoshop if you have it available and start laying down colors of what you'd like the shotgun to look like, and go from there. step at a time.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a wacom and PS Element6 and GIMP, but my wacom will not work with GIMP. I can somewhat texture, i just have problems with making it look real enough. I'll give it a try.
    Thank you.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I try to save my work GIMP crashes. So I say F***K IT. I'll do it later.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a good start, the stock is the best part, from there forward it needs work.
    Crits:
    - The pump shouldn't touch the stock. When its resting it's a few inches away. I think you slide it back to eject the shell and forward to load a new one.
    - The second barrel is actually a magazine that holds ammo, they are normally the same size.
    - The barrel and the magazine are normally joined at the end for stability and there is normally a pump stopper along the way.
    - The pump grip is normally pretty wide, about 1.5-2x as wide as the stock.
    - The barrel looks kind of small in diameter. They have large barrels with no bore, because they fire large slugs, or scatter shot, either way, they are big shells that need to move a lot of metal. A bigger barrel would also help fill in the gap between the magazine.
    - I'm not sure if you modeled it off of reference but gathering some more. Not only will it give you some ideas for details, help with your proportions but it will help give you direction when painting the materials. Personally when I dig up ref, I come up with so many details I have trouble fitting them all in.

ref:
    http://www.rirwin.com/shotguns.htm
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thank you! This is going to help me so much!! I think I am going to remodel a new shotgun from the site you gave me. I think ill be able to get it to work!
    Thank you for you crits.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Listen to the almighty Vig!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Just a technical quibble. Don't put a vertice in the middle of your barrels. If the area is going to be flat anyway, you can cap it off with two fewer polygons by removing that vertex. The changes you made to the barrels also make them look less round than they probably could be. I'd stick with the basic circle shape for something like a gun barrel.

Your stock UV map is going off the page a little at the bottom. At the same time, you have extra space at the top of the UV map. Move the stock's mapping up a little so that its entirely inside of the UV area. It's important to have a clean UV map that is easy to work with, especially with a lower-poly model such as this.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender cant make it so it has no Vert in the middle of the the circle... It might but I don't think it does. Right now I have it with a pentagon, and the tri count is 314 and if i delete the middle vert and fill it in with two quads it bumps the tri count to 322..
    Thank you.
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a thing so you can reload the gun(THANK YOU TONS VIG FOR THE LINK)
    It's 318tris now though, but that is still good.
    shotgun1ar5.th.jpg

and when it is cocked back
    shotgun2dc2.th.jpg

In the Blender game engine..GLSL is on..
    sgerk1.th.jpg

Render
    shottyrenderxl3.th.jpg
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he meant that you should do something like this to the end caps:
    like_this.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Blender cant make it so it has no Vert in the middle of the the circle... It might but I don't think it does. Right now I have it with a pentagon, and the tri count is 314 and if i delete the middle vert and fill it in with two quads it bumps the tri count to 322..
    Thank you.

Yes it can... you can easily merge vertices. Press your spacebar and in the menu select edit-> vertices -> merge.... then a window pops up asking you how to merge to or more vertices then you choose center..

just move the vert to another one and then merge them.

It might be even better to remove the vert and then create new faces with the F key.... select 4 vertices and then hit F and blender creates a new face.

Something similiar and quite usefull while working with duplicated or mirrored mesh parts is the option remove doubles....

edit :

And you might want to upgrade your version of Blender, your still using 2.461

Btw listen to MachineMinded
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everytime i download 2.48 i can't unwrap things..I like 2.46.1 better.
    I'll try to get something worked out though.

Thanks
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Unwrapping is now integrated into edit mode ;)
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL wrote: »
    Unwrapping is now integrated into edit mode ;)

Yes I know this. It's like that in the version of blender I have. But in 2.48 I only have like 4 choices. Unwrap,View from Cube bounds, View Spherical bounds and View from Bounds...
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did what MachineMinded told me to do. The tricount is at 320.

shottyql3.th.jpg

Thank you. I am close to calling the model done. I don't think I am going to make the textures for it. I'll have my texture artist do it or something.