Home General Discussion

Funcom is breaking norwegian law

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
article in norwegian:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/11/kultur/funcom/spill/conan/arbeidsmiljo/4003653/

the company is breaking norwegian law like nothing else.

the LO-concern EL and IT slaughters the work condition of the game company funcom.

people who quit the company claims to have had very long workdays, work during weekends and "red" days, harsh treatment, unpaid overtime, and illegal hiring conditions. the EL and IT concern has got a lot to do.
when i came in here, i saw it was about bad exploitation of young boys and girls. many has gotten sick, and i doubt if we'll ever be able to get them back on their legs again, to say it a little harshly.
they've worked so much, their health has pretty much been destroyed.
and they're only around 30 years old, says Erik Br

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    just don´t work at companys who treat you bad

working on games is fun, but no excuse for bad working conditions

overtime work is a sign for bad management (not always though) and thats not the employees fault

my opinion....
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    3 years of crunch on Age of Conan sounds ridiculous, is that actually true?
    If so, then terrible project management and/or bad development practices are going on.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    now that surely puts a full stop to any effort on staffing up for their next project(s). wow.
    didn't i just read yesterday about their upcoming hiring campaign. well timed. O.o
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe this is their upcoming hiring campaign! :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    are you an immigrant? can't get a job elsewhere because you don't have a work permit?

come work at funcom, we have all the hours you want, and we guarantee you'll just about make rent :D
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Should've hardened the fuck up a bit and just beat the employees with a stick.

That should teach them.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Are you a big fat fatty? want to lose weight but don't have time for the gym?

Come work at funcom! here we'll pay you a low salery, with long enough hours you won't have time to pack away those burgers, we'll be paying you to lose weight!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I like the irony of it being called 'funcom'.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a bit surprised to see this.

I worked with Funcom as QA for over two years. I worked in the US office. I was "terminated" 5 months ago, before I had the chance to leave on my own. Since then, many of my friends and co-workers have joined me. I'm glad it's done. The game is a failure.

There's a lot I can say about how the company was directed during Age of Conan's development. How communication was poor. But there is no point.

I hope they can reorganize the company for the better. There are some great talent in that company, and I hope the disaster that was AoC doesn't hinder their efforts on future projects.

I was given the opportunity to meet many of the devs in the Funcom office in Norway, and has many beers. Some I know were affected by this. I hope the best for them in the future. I hope to never work for a company creating an MMO ever again.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    This is hardly surprising. I worked at Funcom Dublin about 8 years ago. After Anarchy online flopped its launch the entire Dublin studio (which was making profitable Playstation games and had just begun an Xbox title) was canned.

Nobody was paid any redundancy packages. We were literally locked out of the office the next day so the liquidators could take our computers and sell them off to pay the debts Funcom owed. Many of the staff had recently taken out large loans to buy share options in Funcom after having been told of the impending success of Anarchy Online. They were left with no job, no compensation, a large debt, and a bunch of worthless share options.

I still have share options in Funcom that I can't sell.
    The company is very badly managed and seems to run entirely on venture capital, unpaid overtime and staff share options - yes the staff actually pay the company not the other way around!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    "ill just leave this empty, to avoid misunderstandings"
  • CaramelCamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha we were kinda laughing about that article here at funcom, though i'm new here i can't seem to see anything like it, and no one here seems to think likewise the guy in the article.

heard there was some crunching in the end of conan, but what company doesn't, well we had a laugh atleast.

if people were treated badly before, then I'm really surprised of the changes they have made.

Eh, just give it some time and then you'll see. You sound just like how I did the first year, before I vitnessed too much bullshit. And yeah, there was a crunch before Conan launched, it lasted for about 3 years.

You've probably been lucky and gotten one of the few good strike team leaders. Just wait untill you do something they don't like... for instance you can go and ask the QA guys how they've been treated, maybe that will enlighten you a tad.

Open your eyes.
  • cgmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgmonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Haha we were kinda laughing about that article here at funcom, though i'm new here i can't seem to see anything like it, and no one here seems to think likewise the guy in the article.

heard there was some crunching in the end of conan, but what company doesn't, well we had a laugh atleast.

if people were treated badly before, then I'm really surprised of the changes they have made.

You... are one hell of a character.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm well if i heard wrong Im sorry, but everyone around me didnt seem hit by the article, well guess im not on the right team, sorry if it sounded like i was talking for everyone.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just because you haven't personally experienced the negative side to your workplace, it doesn't mean it's not there.

Far from it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes i agree on that, just said it from what i have heard from others at the company, guess i was talking to the wrong people.

sad if it was or is like that, guess i should be happy to not have experienced the bad parts yet then.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this all sound realy like baaad management.. not a company i´ll watch in the future
  • menorian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes i agree on that, just said it from what i have heard from others at the company, guess i was talking to the wrong people.

sad if it was or is like that, guess i should be happy to not have experienced the bad parts yet then.

I just quit Funcom, and that was due to all of this, i've had so many negative experiences, with proken promises, lies and general bad treatment.

I'm happy that you didn't experience any of this Jonas, but chances is that you will in the near future.
    I was at funcom for 4 years and at the beginning it seemed fine, seemed very proffessional but after half a year or whatever the truth started to come out...

You can't have a lead artist that used to be a fireman with no art experience at all, i know that this has changed like a year ago, but come on... they don't choose the skilled people for lead possitions, they choose the ones that are not so good since they belive that putting a skilled productive individual as a lead is a bad thing as they loose his workload and on the paper the companies productivity goes down, this is of course completely wrong. I've been in the industry for almost 10 years now, worked at many different studios, but i have never seen anything like this.

So Jonas i wish you luck, and i hope funcom changes for yours sake, but chances is that you will experience some of this soon, if not to you someone close to you.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    MoP: Yes... Sadly... it's very true.

Jonas: On what team are you?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well seems like many thinks alike. i hope the management have improved and that we wont need a 3 year long crunch, and that i can stay naive and happy for as long as possible ^^;

=guess this is one of the times you wish you didnt choose your name as your username :P.

and thats it for me, good luck to all of us, and thanks for all the information.

"edit" Crash: conviniently enough i use my real name here at polycount :P so i guess you could easily find out. aw me and morning tired typing hands ^^; im gonna get bullied aint i.
  • CaramelCamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am sorry for hurting your enthusiasm, Jonas. You seem like a posivite lad with lots of talent, but I feel it is very important that you know about the traps so many of us has fallen for in the past. Do not trust the management, get everything in writing. I know you don't care that much about overtime yet, but chances are that you will in the future, so start writing down all your overtime and get your lead to confirm and sign it, or else the chances are that your overtime list will just dissapear. If you have any meetings with the management, be very suspicious, bring an official representative that can vitness everything that is being said in the meetings if you feel like it, norwegian law gives you the right to do this. If you get a raise they will tell you that you cannot talk about it to others, but this is BS, you can, they just don't want you to know how inconsistent their raise system is, if you can even call it a system. If they give your team a special bonus deal if you work this or that much overtime a week, then this is also something you can talk about. Such bonus systems is not allowed in Norway and it is not allowed to promise bonuses verbally without backing them up in writing. If they yell at you or any of your friends for not working enough overtime, or try to make you into scapegoats, tell them to fu*k off and pay you first. (in money or 40% EXTRA compensation time, that's 140% compensation time in total for each minute.) BTW: If you are still on a 6 month trial period then be carefull untill your trial is done, after this they cannot fire you without a proper reason. Temporary contracts like the ones at Funcom are illegal, if they still want you after 6 months you are entitled a full position by law, this applies even if you signed one of their "fantastic" 1 month contracts, so if they give you such a contract, sign it and don't leave after 1 month. If they try to threaten you, like for instance say that they will spread rumours that you are mentally ill or that you have done something really bad, then contact El & IT forbundet before you sign anything, they will help you because they have allready helped a lot of ex-funcommies and know how the conditions sometimes are like there.

Don't get totally spooked by everything you hear from ex-employees though, keep your enthusiasm, because Funcom needs all the enthusiasm it can get to turn it into something good, just don't let them burn you out and make you loose interest for games like so many of us have..

Good luck and I wish you all the best!
  • cgmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised to see this.

I worked with Funcom as QA for over two years. I worked in the US office. I was "terminated" 5 months ago, before I had the chance to leave on my own. Since then, many of my friends and co-workers have joined me. I'm glad it's done. The game is a failure.

There's a lot I can say about how the company was directed during Age of Conan's development. How communication was poor. But there is no point.

I hope they can reorganize the company for the better. There are some great talent in that company, and I hope the disaster that was AoC doesn't hinder their efforts on future projects.

I was given the opportunity to meet many of the devs in the Funcom office in Norway, and has many beers. Some I know were affected by this. I hope the best for them in the future. I hope to never work for a company creating an MMO ever again.

I still like you though <3
  • cgmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, just give it some time and then you'll see. You sound just like how I did the first year, before I vitnessed too much bullshit. And yeah, there was a crunch before Conan launched, it lasted for about 3 years.

You've probably been lucky and gotten one of the few good strike team leaders. Just wait untill you do something they don't like... for instance you can go and ask the QA guys how they've been treated, maybe that will enlighten you a tad.

Open your eyes.

I do respect what you've been through. But, it's not fair for you going around like this, it's been a long time since you've actively worked at FC -- Stuff is changing and they have listened to the criticism that was raised by the people in the article and the EL & IT, just as they say they have.

With that said -- I do not want to take sides or justify bad behaviour, just want to point out status quo.
  • CaramelCamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgmonkey wrote: »
    I do respect what you've been through. But, it's not fair for you going around like this, it's been a long time since you've actively worked at FC -- Stuff is changing and they have listened to the criticism that was raised by the people in the article and the EL & IT, just as they say they have.

With that said -- I do not want to take sides or justify bad behaviour, just want to point out status quo.

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. (It did sound a bit like he was laughing of other peoples problems, but I know now that I just misunderstood.) My intention was not to bash Jonas, I am sorry if that was what it looked like. I just wanted to make sure he will not be as blue eyed as I were in the beginning, because that really hurt me a lot.

Allthough things are changing you still have some of the "bad" people in the management, and the bad things will most likely not go away before they do. It's not that long since I quit though, rather recent actually and it takes time and effort to really change stuff. There are still many people that come to EL & IT for help (several yesterday) which is proof that big problems are still there, maybe not as much as before, but it is there even if you like it or not. I know it's impossible to get rid of all the problems in such a big company, but this is not what this is about, we do not only speak of a couple of small problems here. I will not stop going around warning people untill they treat their workers like equal humans. I will try better not to sound rude though! Thanks for straightening me up a bit. ;)

*EDIT: If you want you can come with me to El & IT, and you can take a look at the actual proof. The pile is huuuge..
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    cgmonkey wrote: »
    I still like you though <3

You should. You're the talent I'm referring to <3. And YOU ALONE! :P

Through friends I've kept, I know that FC has been making some big changes. I hope it's enough to prevent this sort of situation from happening again. So, good luck to you guys.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    You know, the Conan project started with me and like three other guys. I guess that makes me 25% responsible for all your gripes. I feel I may have achieved something significant here.

PERCOM BREAKS MEXICAN LAW
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    PERCOM BREAKS PERIONIAN LAW
    Fixed.

Oh the irony.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I also think it has a lot to do with what team you´re on and how they´re run. I´m on TSW (For 1.5 years now and helped out a little on Conan) and I haven´t done a single hour of unwanted overtime or been looked down upon (Only worked extra to take a day off).

If i feel the crunch/company start to rape me like the article says, Then i´d probably leave the ship. Right now though. I´m ok :)

PS: I´m not pushing down the ones who got abused and things like that. I´m just saying I haven´t been. I wasn´t a part of it the same way they were. Two different teams/worlds.
  • CaramelCamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad to hear things are better on the TSW team Notorious P.I.G. Let's hope the bad management people will not migrate over there later..

BTW: Here you have several other ex-devs and devs talking: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/215762/page/1
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah we will see what the future holds. :)

EDIT: Read that link. Yikes.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    I find it funny how people who don't work at Funcom can have so much to say about this. They have no idea what has been going on.

Anyways. There HAVE been changes at Funcom as of late which is good.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Crash, we don't have to work at a company to get a picture of what is going on there. Despite what publishers/investors/owners think/want/know there's a lot of information being shared between studios. While it can be classed as hearsay and rumours more often than not, if you start hearing the same thing from several different sources then there is often some truth to it.

That said, I personally have no idea what's going on in the case of Funcom, but hopefully for people working there things aren't as bad as these rumours.
  • CaramelCamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spoke to one of my former Chineese collegues. He said that not long ago 3 chineese employees got fired without warning from the Funcom Beijing office. They had to leave the very same day and got no compensation, it did not matter to Funcom that they were still on a contract.

2/3 of the earlier Beijing AoC and TSW team quit in protest prior to this because of how some of their collegues had been treated by their Project Manager and Country Manager.

In a Chineese forum thread that was kind of similar to this one they talked about a person named Sunny and how she has been terrorizing the Chineese departement and how ignorant the guys in the Oslo office are. Sunny contacted the guys that run this forum site to make them remove the thread, and they deleted it! She bribed the forum owners and said that for each employee they convince to join Funcom they would be rewarded with 1000 rmb.

Sounds pretty similar to how the US guys were treated.. They care even less about their foreign workers, no suprise though.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    East: That is true. But most people don't know the details of what went down in some of these cases. They only know what other people have posted on various boards/forums and take that as "the truth" and then "speculate" with that information in the back of their heads.

Meh. Anyways. To avoid flying shit, i'm going to shut up. :)

As a side note. I wasn't here when most of these things went down, but I do know several people who were involved, so I have heard stuff from said people. Face to face. Yarr.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash: making you, for the purpose of this discussion... people who don't work at Funcom
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • CaramelCamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash wrote: »
    Pea: Eh?

You just got sacked, you just don't know it yet! ;)
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Haha. That would be unfortunate. I am however quite sure that I haven't said anything that would upset anyone or get me into trouble in any way.

Fact stands. I have heard the story's from both party's involved but I'm NOT picking sides. Simply stating the facts.

As far as all the speculations and accusations or whatever going on in various forums. Meh.