Home General Discussion

IF you had to choose

ru4it
polygon
Offline / Send Message
ru4it polygon
If you had to choose what school you would go to for any part of the game design what would be your choice?

im just looking for a little advice cuz im really in to games but i have no exp in actually designing.

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    University of Polycount.

It worked for me, and many others. Save yourself some cash and just learn at home.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    um okay then how do i get my hands on software with out it costing out the butt?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Put things in your butt.
    For money.
    So you don't have to pay out of it...
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Good question? Piracy? Not that I advocate it, and some people here tend to get a bit uppity about it (as they've forgotten they did it, too, when they first started out and were too poor to afford anything useful and were teaching themselves :P)

Other than that there's free alternatives like Blender, xNormal, and cheaper programs like Nevercenter Silo which are superb.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    beware of the Art Institutes.....

otherwise...you can do a lot on your own.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Game Design or Game Art?

Polycount is mostly artists, and you are getting artist feedback.

Design is different than art, and you'd probably want to do something different.

So yea, figure out what you want to do before figuring out what school to go to to learn it.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    what is wrong with art institutes?
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    both actually, i like coding things like web pages etc and i like drawing char.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I went to a game school named Full Sail and while some people are quick to slam it as well as other schools I did learn quite a bit while there. When I went there I really didn't know any terminology or design when it came to making the polys. This is where the school really came through and taught me the basics.

However, truly the only thing I learned there were basics. Past the basic working knowledge of Maya, I have learned almost everything else to these boards and others like it. So, if you know nothing of 3D design, maybe a school isn't a bad choice to have someone standing by and teaching you this stuff. If you already have a good working knowledge, I think that practicing and research would take you most the way.

Also it will save you something to the tune of at least $40K.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I like to knock art institutes myself but at the end of the day it all comes down to how much your willing to learn vs, how much you want to learn.

if you think a teacher is going to be able to tell you everything you know you`ed be hard pressed to prove this true. on the other hand teachers are awesome for pushing you in the right dir.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to learn game art...find a school that has a great Fine Arts course. Take a few. Or read some books, learn how to sketch, and paint. If you become adept at using colors other than brown and black...you're well on your way. Don't worry about finding a course on learning how to use a 3D application. All that info can be found here or anywhere else online for free..

If you want to program, learn to program. Many schools have a course for this. Or teach yourself. Get a book.

If you want to do game design (not art, don't confuse them), create some demos. Start a mod. Write numerous design documents. Read books on the topic.

For software, do what everyone else has done. But don't expect them to admit it.

Welcome to polycount.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    If you want to learn game art...find a school that has a great Fine Arts course. Take a few. Or read some books, learn how to sketch, and paint. If you become adept at using colors other than brown and black...you're well on your way. Don't worry about finding a course on learning how to use a 3D application. All that info can be found here or anywhere else online for free..

If you want to program, learn to program. Many schools have a course for this. Or teach yourself. Get a book.

If you want to do game design (not art, don't confuse them), create some demos. Start a mod. Write numerous design documents. Read books on the topic.

For software, do what everyone else has done. But don't expect them to admit it.

Welcome to polycount.

Teachers may not teach you just enough to steal their jobs. Learning the foundations are more important if you're an artist, anyone can man a 3d app behind a screen.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    thanks for the advice everyone
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    school of life
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang wrote: »
    Teachers may not teach you just enough to steal their jobs. Learning the foundations are more important if you're an artist, anyone can man a 3d app behind a screen.

What? What does any of that even mean? And why did you quote my post?
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Johny wrote: »
    prostitution.

I like your style.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    fritz wrote: »
    beware of the Art Institutes.....

otherwise...you can do a lot on your own.

Actually, I'm an AiPittsburgh graduate and I found work at a AAA studio within months of graduating.

If you're choosing to pursue a higher education leading to a job in the Game Industry, be sure to really look at their course outline. Like Ely said, you want to find a school that has a solid base in the traditional arts. You can always learn the 3D/Computer stuff on the side....trolling forums, picking up books, etc.

Bottom line, no program out there is going to make you a marketable game artist. Only you can do that. Whatever road you decide to go down to achieve that goal is up to you, but you better be fully dedicated to it, otherwise you'll have a very expensive piece of paper. I work next to and know people who graduated from an Art Institute, FullSail, GuildHall, various other art schools, and people who simply learned at their own pace, in their own time...with no degree. It boils down to the individual's dedication to their career path.

Whatever you feel works best for you, GO GO GO!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say go to what you can afford.
    So don't feel like you need to go to some prestigious school just because it's prestigious.
    With most school/courses you get out of it what you put into it.
    Learn the core stuff as best you can because that's really the most time consuming stuff.
    Most art schools are pricey as all hell and most of my friends that graduated are still paying off their debts which are upwards to 30-50k.
    I did a state school (4yr Univ, i had no plans of the game industry at the time and graduated with a New Media/Graphic Design degree) then took a 1 yr long comm college course on 3DS Max, and another course on Maya after graduating. I paid off the community courses at the time i took them (they were cheap like $1k for the whole thing). College was 12-18k upon graduating. School is almost paid off and I'm rocking it up.

This is probably how I got my initial skillz.

15% school
    50% online competitions
    30% close friends' critiques
    5% other
    B
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having been through a game art course, if I were to go back and choose again, I'd have chosen a fine art course and used the school of the internet (Polycount, Game-Artist, CGTalk, Game Artisans, etc...) to learn game art.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Talon wrote: »
    Having been through a game art course, if I were to go back and choose again, I'd have chosen a fine art course and used the school of the internet (Polycount, Game-Artist, CGTalk, Game Artisans, etc...) to learn game art.

2nd'd
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were going to choose a school to go to, then VFS.
    http://www.vfs.com/

I already work in the industry, but am planning on taking some traditional art courses to further improve my skills, though I do teach myself with books, etc. and not to mention learning things from coworkers, fellow Polycounters, et al.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Jonathan wrote: »
    ...and not to mention learning things from coworkers, fellow Polycounters, et al.

I'm attempting to teach Jonathan how to properly interact with humans. So far...no luck. :D
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    I'm attempting to teach Jonathan how to properly interact with humans. So far...no luck. :D

Much to learn, this "social interaction" thing. :D
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    Do you guys know of anyone that has graduated from academy of art? i would go to my local college but they dont offer any real art classes. Plus my work schedule sucks to boot, so im looking at online schools like Academy of Art, and Ai Pittsburgh online. but when it comes right down to the nitty gritty its the money thing that im looking at
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    do what you like, it doesn't sound like you want to listen to the advice here. Save your cash, online courses won't do it either.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LISTEN! An online college course won't teach you what you need to know in Art for games. This forum and many others will. In addition, read books, read tutorials, read wikis. Practice. Save your money to buy software and a better computer. Maybe some eye glasses.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    konstruct wrote:
    if you think a teacher is going to be able to tell you everything you know you`ed be hard pressed to prove this true. on the other hand teachers are awesome for pushing you in the right dir.

That isn't always true. I had a '3D modeling for games' teacher who desperately wanted to push everyone in the NURBS direction.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    ru4it wrote: »
    Do you guys know of anyone that has graduated from academy of art? i would go to my local college but they dont offer any real art classes. Plus my work schedule sucks to boot, so im looking at online schools like Academy of Art, and Ai Pittsburgh online. but when it comes right down to the nitty gritty its the money thing that im looking at

I graduated from the Academy of Art in '02. Back then, the 3D courses were almost all geared towards film, so I ended up taking illustration and industrial design courses because I knew I wanted to work in games at the time. Things may have changed now. But regardless, I really enjoyed my time at the school and learned a ton. I didn't know they offered online courses now but like everyone is saying, don't do that. Part of the appeal of going to a school like the Academy is being surrounded by students from all over the world with the same interests as you and being in a major metropolitan area like SF.

On money and work and stuff: Art school is a full time job that will eat up hours and hours and hours of your time. If you can't commit 100% then don't do it. Period.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    I strongly advise a major in Computer Science, with a minor in fine arts.

If you don't enjoy programming (you'll know by sophomore year), then swap to a major in fine arts with a minor in Computer Science.

Formal training in those subjects will provide an ideal background for game development.

Create games in your spare time, outside of class. Constantly.

Don't study game-industry-specific tools. Our tools change from year to year anyway. Focus on algorithms, artificial intelligence, color theory... you'll be using those skills for decades, on every game you create.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Digipenn here in Redmond, Wa. The art program looks really solid, the students have to work their asses off and you get thorough fine art training. The program they've established in recent years sound really good.
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE3456 polycounter lvl 18
    Ryan Clark wrote: »
    I strongly advise a major in Computer Science, with a minor in fine arts.

If you don't enjoy programming (you'll know by sophomore year), then swap to a major in fine arts with a minor in Computer Science.

Formal training in those subjects will provide an ideal background for game development.

Create games in your spare time, outside of class. Constantly.

Don't study game-industry-specific tools. Our tools change from year to year anyway. Focus on algorithms, artificial intelligence, color theory... you'll be using those skills for decades, on every game you create.

very true though it's not for everybody. Also it's 10 times easier to find a job as technical artist than modelling/texturing artist.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    I am listening to everything that you guys are saying but the reason i ask about schools is cuz my friends and family are saying "go to school!" so im mostly doing the school thing to get them off my back. i went back through some old threads and found a much of sites that have free or near to free software so when i get a chance tonight i will try it out. I will be posting art work here soon just got to finish the drawings first lol.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    University of Polycount.

It worked for me, and many others. Save yourself some cash and just learn at home.
    I 2nd that. But I would widen that to more than just polycount, sure there's a lot of good info to be gleamed from these hollowed halls but you can get quite a bit from other places also.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ru4it wrote: »
    the reason i ask about schools is cuz my friends and family are saying "go to school!" so im mostly doing the school thing to get them off my back. .

no no no, that's not a reason. Go to university to get drunk and have sex with girls.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    Go to university to get drunk and have sex with girls.

win.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    Go to university to get drunk and have sex with girls.
    Keep in mind that you don't have to be enrolled to enjoy this perk.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    skip the tuition, learn the tools on your own, post on polycount, then apply for a job.

If you going to goto a game design program make sure the teachers have industry experience, shipped titles so they aren't teaching from a book and have no clue about industry standards.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your parents insist on you getting a degree go for a state college fine arts degree and learn the 3d stuff on your own via the boards, there's tons and tons of great advice on these boards and many folks have treaded the PC university to find jobs and climb the ladders you are about ready to climb.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Buy Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, and The Orange Box (as they all ship with level design tools).

Pick whichever engine you like the most.

Join the respective Mod-Making communities. And see which ones you like the most.
    (From what I understand Epic and Valve have the most active mod making communities).

Unreal allows for greater ease of use, but Hammer has far greater control (more from what I've heard, not from actually trying them extensively).

If you TRULY enjoy it, then drop the $$$ on a school. If you think of it as a tedious chore to write those kinds of documents, and seek the necessary critiques, then Game Design likely isn't for you.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can also pick up Issue 112 January 2009 of 3D world, it has tips on what, how, and who you should ask questions to get the most out of a 3d degree.