Home General Discussion

Your GOTY 2008?

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Heh SupRore the thread is "YOUR GotY 2008" not "Let's hate on other people's GotY 2008".
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I'm disappointed by the lack of handheld gamers here. wimps.

I'm rather enjoying Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (Days of Ruin in US) on the DS. That and the Phoenix Wright games. I play them on and off. The thing I like about them is that I can pick them up and play a little and then leave them without committing too much time. Ideal for when you have a few moments to kill.

I must be one of the few who was actually disappointed with Fallout 3. I liken it to biting into a tasty looking chicken pie only to find that it is mostly filled with air.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say I think Fallout 3 is fantastic, but compared to what I thought it was going to be like, it was a good game :P
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely a surprise for me, but Fable 2. Except for the end bit, that was all rubbish.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    ebagg wrote: »
    Heh SupRore the thread is "YOUR GotY 2008" not "Let's hate on other people's GotY 2008".

i read it as 'hate on other people hating on other people's goty 2008 through compare and contrast'

i should really get glasses again. ._.
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm digging World of Goo. And I finally fgot a copy of Radilgy which is sweet though probably not a
    2008 game, but then it never came out in the UK anyway so...heh

Managed to gain and destroy a World of Warcraft habit too which destroyed
    my social life completely.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote: »
    i read it as 'hate on other people hating on other people's goty 2008 through compare and contrast'

i should really get glasses again. ._.

I wasn't hating on anybody's GotY. I was commenting on the fact that saying fallout 3 is too repetitive for you (regardless of your opinions on the core gameplay) and then listing a bunch of equally repetitive games seems somewhat silly.

In fact, I'd say that as a broad generalization, bashing games for being repetitive is pretty sillyl. If games weren't repetitive they wouldn't work, because the user wouldn't be able to learn the systems, gain competency, and have fun. Of course there are exceptions to this, but still.

Also, there was plenty of depth in Fallout 3, it just wasn't depth in the low level gameplay such as movement, or control schemes. It was present more in the exploration, character developement, and character interaction systems. Personally I prefer high level gameplay like that to low level stuff in most cases. If you don't, that's fine.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    I wasn't hating on anybody's GotY. I was commenting on the fact that saying fallout 3 is too repetitive for you (regardless of your opinions on the core gameplay) and then listing a bunch of equally repetitive games seems somewhat silly.

RE4 repetitive? Hardly.

Also, COD4 did quite a bit to vary up their missions and gameplay (AC130U? Gilly suit?) ... God of War I / II has boss battles and mini-games ... and Assassin's Creed ... well, you got me on that one :p

As I stated, I am beginning to enjoy Fallout 3 more, but it hasn't hooked me anywhere near what the previously mentioned games did. Sorry.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8

While I haven't played a lot of the really 'big' triple A titles at this point, I gotta say one that's really, really high on my list:

The World Ends With You for DS. Great story, amazing design, incredibly fun battle system, really catchy music, cool mini-game, and tons and tons of replay value. I even enjoyed the heck out of shopping in the game :P Seriously, a huge winner for me in so many respects.

Just picked up POP today... will see how great it is :D And also, totally in love with LBP... but not sure I'd put it up for "GOTY" (Don't cry, sackboys, I still love you to death!!!)
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    My game of the year has to be Dead Space.

For me it just came out of nowhere, and I really didn't know much about the game until late September, so my experience wasn't spoiled by previews and media.

I admit it feels like Resident Evil 4 but set in sci-fi environments at it's most basic level, but it does a fantastic job of telling the story through the use of the audio logs and I never felt I was pulled out of the experience with the minimal cut-scenes that were used. The ending was also quite amazing with the twists (although a lot of people could of seen it coming a mile off).

Another deserved mention is Braid purely for its ingenious gameplay.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    my GOTY is mount&blade.
    actually it'd be my GOTY any year, because its the only thing i play.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17

Then where's your list of handheld games you could recommend to us? WIMP!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I expect people that work in the industry to know already :), but whatever, not everyone here is a crazy gamer. at the very least you mothers should've played the new Castlevania, Rhythm Tengoku Gold, Disgaea DS, Chrono Trigger, DQIV, Kirby super star ds, PATAPON, maybe even ff:cc, though I didn't like it much.

alright you got me. there weren't a boatload, but I was still disappointed by the lack of.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    well it didn't exactly come out this year, but the translation patch for mother 3 hit i have to say it has one of the greatest game stories ever told. MGS4 was a technical marvel and big inspiration, i was dissapointed in all the games i was actually excited about, so i guess i should not be excited for games any more. i i would have to say my game of the year is mega man 9.. i am on my 8th play through trying to get all the achivements and such and i havent had this much with a game since i was a kid. its actually challenging and when i beat it for the first time i felt like i accomplished something, i havent been able to say that about a game in a long time.
    i have gotten more out of this 9 dollar title than any 60 dollar game i have ever bought
    sooo

goty....
    mega man 9

the good....

mgs4 <--- the reasons i like this game are purely technical, and artistic, but i dont see that is any worse than liking a game just because its fun.

mother 3
    the world ends with you
    gears 2
    fallout 3 <-- sooo surprised i like this, thought oblivion was so boring, honestly think it was just the setting,

really wanted to be good but just didnt like
    LBP
    fable 2
    farcry 2 <--what a crapfest huh..
    alone in the dark <possibly the worst game ever made
    spore
    devil may cry 4
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    1st Place: