Home General Discussion

Your GOTY 2008?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Thought it'd be fun to check out everyone's Game of the Year for 2008. Lot's of titles to choose from but lets hear about your #1 Game this year and list your runner ups.

Much to the surprise of everyone, I'm sure, mine this year was Grand Theft Auto 4 for Xbox 360. I'm a big fan of the GTA series. I like 'sandbox' titles and I think Rockstar gets it right with their GTA franchise, but what it was for me this time around was the story of the game. It really felt like I was playing out a movie and that had me hooked right from the beginning. As well, if the story ever felt mundane or a bit far fetched for me at that moment I could always bugger off and do whatever I felt like doing. I know I like a game when I go back to it over and over after beating it. Hell, I paid another $50 for the PC release. I think thats the first time I had ever done that.

On top of all this, I really enjoyed the look of the game. It had its technical problems and short-sited limitations, but there were more times than I can remember where it felt like I was looking at real video someone had taped. Especially in the first-person driving views. I wrote about it in the original GTA4 thread we had here at Polycount, but I get this certain sense of believeabilty I don't get in other games when I awake out of bed, run down the stairs and push through the door. It's like I just walked out of a videogame and in to a real place. Quite the feeling.

Here's my Top-5 of this year:

1. GTA4 See above ;)

2. Left 4 Dead Going through the first 2 campaigns on release night, then the other 2 campaigns the next with the same 3 guys was awesome. I wanted more, but those 2 nights were probably the most fun I had in game in a long, long time.

3. Team Fortress 2 I know this game was released in 2007, but with the insane amount of content updates this year I can't help but put TF2 on my list. For about 6 months, I played it everynight. Every. Single. Night. No game has ever had me doing that.

4. Castle Crashers Looooooooooooved this game. It's fun, its funny, its colourful, it's co-op. It has lots of weapons, leveling and options. If it weren't for the shoddy net code on release I'd still be playing it now. I absolutely loved playing through this with friends and I hope Behemoth gets their update through MS certification and out the door sooner than later. It's a shame a title of this quality & uniqueness is hindered by paperwork. Definitely money well spent.

5. Far Cry 2, Gears of War 2, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, CoD: World at War To be honest, I don't have a 5th title. The rest sort of blur together in this experience of equal enjoyment and frustration.

Looking to 2009, I really hope we don't see a release schedule from studios like we did in 2008. So many titles (see my #5) just sort of mashed together for me and it was hard to really give any of them proper focus. I'd love to go back to Fallout 3 and finished, but I now sort of feel like I played enough to 'get' the experience of the game. Same with the other titles.

Perhaps, if 2009 has a videogame drought will I go back, but if 2007 and 2008 is an indication that won't be the case.

Replies

• frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Left 4 dead. I haven't played TF 2 since this came out... and I used to play tf2 a lot...

Runner up: MGS4. Great game - horrible story

2nd Runner up: Dead Space.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    GTA4 was a major letdown for me, as were Mercs 2, Saints Row 2, and Mirror's Edge, so all are off my list.

Left 4 Dead failed to impress at all, and TF2 was no match for CoD4.

Top of my list, hands down, Fallout 3. I spent over 80 hours with the game so far, and I could easily see myself going back a few save points and play up to over 100 hours of gameplay. All its competitors (GTA, SR, Mercs) failed to deliver gameplay of this caliber.

Call of Duty 4 takes the next place in line. Multiplayer is hands down the most fun I've had in a long time, what with the ability to spec out your setup to your own styling. The SP felt like it was ripped right out of a Tom Clancy novel, exactly where I want a 'modern day' shooter to come from.

I'll give Castle Crashers a honorable mention, since the losing of my game saves in SP (never even game MP a try) has made me despise the game and feel like I got ripped off, but before experiencing that the game made me LOLz nonstop.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Left 4 Dead FTW!!!!
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    Metal Gear Solid 4. Best single player campaign I have ever played in a game.

though, goty if an interesting award. for me mgs4 was more than a game. it was on a whole other level. games like COD4 and gears(shameless plug) and halo, are a more complete package though. I love fallout 3, but i dont feel like it delivers on the same level as games that offer a great single player(although not as good as fallout or mgs) and expansive multi player community like halo or gears of cod do.

personally, fallout 3 didnt do it for me. gameplay was ok, story is a little flat for me, and way to slow. oblivion was the same way. When i get into it, i love it, but most of the time, i just want the game to tell me what to do. I dont want to have to seek out quests like in fallout.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I find it incredibly hard to choose this year, there were a lot of amazing games that were amazing for very different reasons.

Ultimately, I'd say Braid was my GotY. There were a shit tonne of great games this year, but I found that still most of them did not do much to move game design forward. Braid did. A lot.

I also should say that I still want to play the new PoP before I really make any final decisions. :)
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    My Top 3 games of 2008:

3. Dead Space

2. Fallout 3

Mass Effect :)

multi: COD4 (except those noobtastic grenade perks)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    1. MGS4

2. GTAIV

3. Fallout 3
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Persona 3 FES - no runner up's since no other game can touch the playtime i clock in this one. :)
    best classic JRPG in years to me and most playtime since jeanne d'arc on the PSP.

conversely i found MGS4 to be the most overhyped boring cutscene-riddled self-indulgent title with ultra-limited retro gameplay topped by a crappy control scheme and littered with embarrassing product placement i've touched in quite a few years, for sure in 2008. and i played and liked for the most part all of the other MGS's, can't even be bothered to finish that one for good.
    as crappy as a bruckheimer 'blockbuster'. :D
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Fallout 3, easy.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    the winner in the

... high budget tripple A category: GTA 4
    ... the indie category: world of goo
    ... the multiplayer/pc category: Team Fortress 2

... honorble mentioning and the "only game with meaning full choices" award goes to: fallout 3
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Mass Effect (PC)
    2. Fallout 3 (PC)
    3. No More Heroes (Wii)

I've yet to play Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    1. Fallout 3
    2. Left4dead
    3. CoD5
    4. Dead Space
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Crappy games year this was, i'd pick these as best titles this year in no particular order

Burnout Paradise
    Facebreaker
    Saints Row 2
    Soulcalibur IV
    Valkyria Chronicles
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best
    #1 Fallout 3
    #2 GOW2
    #3 Fable2
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    1 - Dead Space or Castle Crashers
    2 - Rock Band 2 or Gears of War 2
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    1) World of Goo
    2) Mirrors Edge

I like innovation :D
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I didn't play that many different games this year, so my top 5 is pretty much made up of all the ones i did, but here we go:

1. Castle Crashers
    2. GTA IV (Though my copy was stolen after only 4 hours of play :( I'm too poor to replace it)
    3. GoW2
    4. Fable 2
    5. Lost Odyssey/Megaman 9 tie.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    1. GTA4
    2. Fallout3
    3. Mass Effect
    4. Dead Space
    5. Duke Nukem Forever
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    In terms of amount played? Rock Band 2 hands down :P (DLC FTW)
    otherwise:

MGS4 (amazing)
    Patapon
    Left 4 Dead
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    Gears of War 2

honorable:
    Castle Crashers (if only they had released the fucking patch EVER)
    Smash Brothers Brawl
    Fallout 3 is great so far but I really haven't put enough time it in
    Mirror's edge is really enjoyable so far too, but I'm only two hours into it.
    I haven't played enough of dead space yet to rank that :( (see a pattern? too many games!)
    and I kinda got out of GTA4, didn't hook me like I thought it would, although it was still enjoyable. I hope I can get back into it someday.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. World of Goo (so well executed and just plain fun. I usually hate bridge building games too)

2. Left4Dead

3. Sins of a Solar Empire (only gripe with it so far is the crashes before some of the recent patches. Had a 4 to 5 hour game going, and then bam! Crash.)

4. Fallout 3

5. Little Big Planet (Playing 3 players, on a one player centered level = insane fun)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Short list, of recent games I've played most, in order:

1. Team Fortress 2
    2. Left 4 Dead
    3. Trackmania United Forever
    4. GRID
    5. Dokapon Kingdom (Wii)
    6. The Settlers - Rise of an Empire

TF2 was definately the most played, and I still need my fix of good custom maps, even with L4D's release. L4D is an intense joy ride. Great game design. Really pulls you into an amazing co-op experience. Trackmania remains in a genre all its own. GRID has perfected racing dynamics. It has been years since a racing title has given me a rush. And Dokapon Kingdom is a great party game for people of all ages. The Settlers is a well crafted and fun city building RTS, with more attention placed on the city inhabitants, than combat.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Bionic Commando: Rearmed
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    Metal Gear Solid 4

Sorry PC games, you have failed to impress me.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Gears 2, and Fallout 3, are my personal favorites, but I'd be surprised if either won.

I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if it's given to GTA4. That game was quality.

Braid, and Soul Calibur 4 round out my top 5 (Although I haven't gotten around to DeadSpace or Fable 2).

V V Sorry dude, but Assassins Creed is pretty weaksauce IMO. Pretty graphics. Falls into the same category as MGS4. More hype than substance.

Last year was amazing because of TF2, and CoD4. But overall quality-wise I don't think it's much different.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    This year was a bit of a let down, IMHO. Last year we had Bioshock, COD4, Assassin's Creed ... personally I don't see a stand out title in the bunch for 2008.

I guess my GOTY would have to be Braid. It was the only thing that really impressed me this year.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Wow... I seriously don't know what some of ya are thinking. No good games this year? Bit of a let down? GOW2, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Rock Band 2, COD5, Left 4 Dead...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    if anything there were way too many, yeah
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    for me gears 2 was probably the game that wowed me the most and ive spent the most time in, especially that delicious horde mode.

for handhelds god of war : chains of Olympus blew me away from a graphical standpoint and just how awesome the game was.
  • KyleM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Left 4 dead
    Burnout Paradise
    MGS4
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    years not over yet,

My contenders are:

Burnout Paradise, Gears 2, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Wipeout HD, Metal Gear Sold 4, Assassins Creed, GTA4, Braid, Lost Odyssey, Castle Crashers, Rock Band 2, COD5, GRID, Orange Box
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    too many games with numbers in them. weak!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    There's so many games I haven't played that I really should: Dead Space, GoW2, PoP, Left 4 Dead etc.

<rant>
    That said, I can't see any of them taking the place that Fallout 3 has earned. No other game has had me glued to my TV, talking to friends about the game or just "thinking" about the game like this title has. It has it's flaws, for sure. Like Bioshock there is NO way I would give it a 10/10 but I would certainly give it a 9 or 9.5. I don't think it's because of the timing (it seems a lot of people rank "recent" games higher because they're fresh in the mind), I honestly think if this was a summer title i would still put it on a pedestal. I looked forward to this game for a LONG time, being a fan of the originals, and was happy that Bethesda "didn't fuck it up."

This year I've been thinking a lot about what it was like when I was younger, when I was a big "gamer", not jaded by the industry and, I guess, what would be considered excited about the next game coming out. I think it's becaus of all the sequels or remakes coming out (or already out) that involve IPs from my youth. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Fallout (I played Fallout 2 until it literally shattered in my computer), Bionic Commando, etc. One thing I remember from being akid is staying up SUPER late with friends trying to beat some game together...taking turns playing Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, endless Ken vs. Ken matches, the Golden Eye deathmatches on 4 way split screen...dear god...And one thing that really annoys me lately is how much a game relies on "online play" I've never been a guy that plays Halo online, I personally can't stand that sort of gameplay...I have enough built up rage, the last thing I need is having some 12 year old tea bagging me and calling me a fag :) But yeah, as soon as I know that it is a big chunk of the game, or there is a lot of hype over the online aspect over a title, I pretty much write it off and never play it. I never played COD4, Burnout Paradise and have avoided Left 4 Dead for this stupid reason. Whatever, that's neither here nor there, but my point is that Fallout 3 did such a great job at giving a solid, single player experience (as do most Bethesda games, I guess...) that, I think, has just as many hours of gameplay in it as a game with "good" online play. Especially with the DLC coming, I think it could go toe to toe with something like the orange box in terms of value. Other games that focus on the introvert gamer such as myself, like Bioshock and Mass Effect, were amazing but there's no way I could sit up till 3am playing them like I did with Fallout...and then seriously consider starting OVER AGAIN to play it from a different angle.

</rant>

So, yes, hands down for me- #1 Fallout 3
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    too many games with numbers in them. weak!

Left _ Dead? :poly124:
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ditto with Adam's selection
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm only a little ways in to Fallout 3, but I honestly don't see why so many people are raving about this game. So far it feels kind of repetitive and boring to me...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    MGS4 - A spectacular end to the greatest hero gaming has ever known.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going with Gears of War 2. Great single player/co-op campaign, great pacing, story was a little weak but it is just a bunch of roided up soldiers killing stuff, and horde mode pretty much made me a slave to this game.

Next would be Left 4 Dead, and then GTA IV.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    1. fallout 3
    2. far cry 2
    3. tie for dead space and gears 2.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    1. MGS4 - This was a great send off to one of the best video game heroes of all time. I loved every minute of this masterpiece and played though it at least 5 times.

2. Dead Space – This game rocked my world from beginning to end and shows how much could be done with sound design.

3. Devil May Cry 4 – 3rd person action games are my favorite genre and this game came through in spades! I mean it has an awesome battle system, killer boss encounters, sweet soundtrack, and kick ass anti heroes, what’s not to love!

4. Lost Odyssey – This was a great follow up from Mist Walker’s atrocious Blue Dragon! The story this time out was well crafted and sported some amazing production values. Everything from the graphics to the sound design worked really well and showed that the Unreal 3 engine could be used for something more than First Person Shooters.

5. Mirrors Edge – It’s great to see a developer try something different within an established genre and make it work. I had a great time with this game and look forward to a sequel!

Unfortunately this has been a light gaming year for me and I need to catch up on a number of games that I missed out on. Titles like GTA4, Fallout, Fable 2, Soul Caliber 4, Left For Dead, Little Big Planet, etc.

By the way I’m currently playing through Gears 2 and Dark Sector, the latter of which is very underrated!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'm only a little ways in to Fallout 3, but I honestly don't see why so many people are raving about this game. So far it feels kind of repetitive and boring to me...

What games do you like?
  • Mitch Cosgrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitch Cosgrave polycounter lvl 17
    While there have been a number of really good games this year, I'd have to say I am really impressed by Street Fighter 4, and really cannot wait for it to come out on console.
    Paying $2 per game at the arcade can become quite an expensive hobby.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I want to play these games but probably need new hardware first to really enjoy them :P I plan on getting far cry 2 fallout 3 and ...maybe a strategy game...red alert 3 any good?
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Saints Row 2
    2) Castle Crashers
    3) Left 4 Dead

Although I probably played more Street Fighter III: Third Strike throughout the year with mates at work, than time spent on all of these put together. :P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What games do you like?

Some of my faves from the past few years:

God of War I and II
    Resident Evil 4
    CoD 4
    Assassin's Creed

I did play it a bit further last night after I posted that comment and I am starting to enjoy it more, but it still doesn't really have a "wow" factor for me :shrug:
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm disappointed by the lack of handheld gamers here. wimps.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    1. WoW - Wrath of the Lich King

Ya I know...but the way I look at it, I have played this game more then any other game this year, and after looking back at the past 4 years of playing WoW I'm inclined to believe this really is the best game ever. For me at least heh.

2. Fallout 3

Awesome surprise! I truthfully was not looking forward to this game untell some buddies at work brought be along to pick up the game on release day during lunch. I couldn't resist. A good thing to because this game was really well done.

3. GoW 2

What can you say its Gears. Incredible art work, solid game play, and just an overall awesome experiance.

4. MGS 4

I broke down and bought a PS3 this year. MGS4 had some great reviews, but those PS fanboys put me off on MGS4, so I hated it. When I got my PS3 I decided to give it a chance. Good thing I did because when you give this game a chance it really does shine.

5. Dead Space

One other surprise. I loved the setting and combat system. This game really did stand apart from the crowd. I haven't beaten it yet, but so far it's a great ride.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Some of my faves from the past few years:

God of War I and II
    Resident Evil 4
    CoD 4
    Assassin's Creed

... lol?

(Not that those game are bad, just seriously, Fallout 3 is too repetitive for you, but they aren't?)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    1) Fallout 3
    2) Saints Row 2
    3) GTA 4

They can all suck it Q1 2009 (fingers crossed) when Resident Evil 5 comes out!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Tulk, fallout3 has VERY shallow core gameplay -- combat is deeper in diablo. Unless you think the writing is spectacular (i don't) or find the quests enthralling (i don't) the game is pretty boring and repetative. Dungeon crawling with bad fps controls against awful AI? Not goty material, even if the exploration is fun. I can definitely see how people think the game is amazing, if the noncombat stuff grabs you it must be a wonder, but to some of us it just fell kinda flat.