Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oldschool thread

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
After looking at the LP thread I figured this might be a good idea.

rules:

Maximum spec
2k tris
512 x 512 texture space (total)
No normal maps

Basicly the type of models found in older games, Q3, KOTOR, NWN etc etc.

Also, if you have SDKs that meet the spec limit then feel free to pimp em here too. Just be sure to post the link to the SDK in question so anyone else interested can give it a go.

Knock yourselves out :thumbup:

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent idea.quite excellent.....too bad the LP thread has such low limits

i was JUST about to post this thread in a few hours if you hadnt as im working on a texture here lol. Good that a veteran polycounter did it tho XD
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im on a SDK frenzy these days! they are SOO much fun :P

ok guys so here it is! Have only worked on the arms,torso armour and the shoulder pads.
    3019,quakeguyahmedDNQGU.jpg
    SDK is by fellow polycounter cholden (chris holden). I really dont want to bitch and all, by i was really surprised to see that the model was around 2k tris :/ and i think the unwrap couldve been better in terms of pixel density :( but i LUBB the model <3 thanks chris!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quite surprising that's around 2000 tris considering quake3 models were in the 600-800 triangle range...
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, its a little dense for what it is but hey, so long as its to spec. I'll post up some stuff later when I have a chance.

Oh and Butt, post a link to the SDK.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    You can find the SDK here.
    he's also in the OA sdk pack too
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i guess so. but something thats more surprising is that it doesnt look like a 2k model :/ my ferox is at 1400 tris and i guess has better silhouette than this guy. Seems like a 600-800 tri model to be very honest. oh well :)
    But yeah thanks for the info mop, i was wondering what the count should have been- wanan try making these meself!

I got it from the sdk thread here on PC
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=38292&page=2 (post#35)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo chris has some awesome tutorials on that site :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't want the thread to die, but also didn't want to post until i had something to show....quite a dilemma :)
    As some of you may know, its my first whole body sdk :P yeah i know everyone hates it when someone says that its their first anything, but i've spent over 20 total man hours into this guy lol. 20 more to go i guess :) obvious inspirations from all sorts of places.
    quakeguy2.jpg

i think this thread should be sticky'd and probably renamed to something liek ">500 <2000" sounds kinda kinky :)

also working on my ferox model on and off :) tri count is 1480. 512 map. Self illuminated
    Untitled-2copy.jpg
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Ooooooooooh I like this thread, right up my alley ;)

Pirate Wench for a NWN Module, just before I hacked her up to meet the "pieces&parts" specs of NWN :/ Texture is still WIP.

3074142532_5b39b0f2bc_o.jpg

... and after, ugh. I'm still trying to get it all aligned properly so I can actually use it in the game, but I will eventually have it all worked out... I hope...

3073314947_cbc1556286.jpg?v=0

And a CS Hostage model, yes, some of my friends still play CS! The texture, as seems usual with me, is still WIP as well. I may post the second hostage I'm working on when I decide which of the other three designs I'm going to go with :S

3073307223_744f782488_o.jpg

-DK >^..^<
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey death kitten!
    I really like ur CS hostage babe!!,no terrorist will shoot this chick:)
    Vj
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Cool stuff guys!

@ DeathKitten, you'll be able to see your texture much better if you set the material to full self illumination. You can do that in Milkshape by setting the emissive color to white (it's black by default).
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I crapped that out in maybe 2h tops as filler for Cheapy's Open Arena game. Man, that stuff is so old, I'm surprised you can learn anything from it. :P
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff guys :)

A little screencap of my soldier models I was doing for texture practice. Dunno if I will ever finish them though....

soldierspc6.jpg

I think I need to move on to a new project now, this one has lost its mojo.

[edit] both weigh in at about 1k tris each, lil less for him, lil more for her. 256x256 diffuse.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Sweet, so i couldnt post this in low poly due to the armor, lol. The armor on this bad boy brings him up to 1500, without he's only 450 sumthin

Kman.png

His name is Cendah, from the Knightman video games.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Well, dang. This will fit in just nicely. XD
    Ivy by Demon Princess Thread here- http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=57354

ivy_render_03.jpg
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the base colors down for the most part, still have some tweaking to do, then on to painting. Anyone have any good tutorials on texturing metalic or hard surfaced objects?

kmancolors.png
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    DeathKitten: Is that milkshape? jesus, that brings back terrible memories.
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    @ DeathKitten, you'll be able to see your texture much better if you set the material to full self illumination. You can do that in Milkshape by setting the emissive color to white (it's black by default).

Thanks kindly DemonPrincess! It's definitely easier to see the textures now... even if it is burning my eyes out ;)

3076989132_e605bcc2ec_o.jpg

vj_box: Thanks! That is what I'm trying for, if we wanted to play deathmatch then we'd load a de map :p

Slum: Yeeesssss, that would be MilkShape I'm using... but I swear it's only for the HL export and compile tools! Would you shudder if I told you I'm using PSP aswell? hehehe

I do have XSI though and am working on a much higher poly project with a friend of mine, so expect a pimp sometime soon ;)

... now, as I'm still debating on which other hostage to go ahead with, maybe you guys/gals can help me choose!

The sultry redhead:
    3076157731_e55bb6c430_o.jpg

The buxom dark chicky:
    3076157651_e410d25754_o.jpg

The blonde PlayBoy bunny:
    3076157691_11c93c82e3_o.jpg

The goth/punky Asian chick:
    3076988990_db66e4775f_o.jpg

... or should I go back to the drawing board? :$

-DK >^..^<
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing wrong with PSP, I still use PSP 7 :)

yeah yeah, need to learn PS....
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

Deatkitten:
    Everything looks awesome.
    Just wondering....can CS (im assuming its counter-strike) handle that much tris?

Ok so im done!
    Spent a total of around 25 man hours on this guy. Funny thing is, it took up as much time as the texturing of my other characters combined!
    MARINEDONEforums.jpg

Oh btw chris, i hope i did your model justice!
    Also... i wish i could come kick your ass in refernce to than hand unwrap haha

Can anyone please help me out with the Ferox's breast area? demonprincess/xaltar/slum :poly124:
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been messing around and i think i found a pretty good way to make an armor texture, let me know if i'm doing an okay job, all by hand in photoshop, no render baking or nothing.

kmanprogress2.png

Got tons of help from shotgun, so here's where i'm at now:

kmanprogress5.png
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt - OMG TGA FILES PLZ i want to see this ingame
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei:
    Thanks! `\(^_^)/`
    Yeah sure why not! :) would be awesome to see it ingame :D though the skin you have atm on that grism is pretty kickass :)
    post some nice screenies when your done! :D

oh and btw indecom, those highlights, even thoughj i think its too early in the game.... <3
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks butt, lol. Here's more progress, getting close, very close :P

kmanprogress6.png
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    well, butt, an SDK by definition is a raw file for you to do as you please. Not updating the UVs and/or model to fit your plan is blood on your hands.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Can anyone please help me out with the Ferox's breast area? demonprincess/xaltar/slum :poly124:

Her breasts look pretty much fine to me actually. The only thing I would change is making the cloth stretch between her breasts a bit more.

I think what's really throwing things off though is how the breasts flow into the shoulders, and also the general placement of the shoulders.

As for the texture, I would tone down on some of the muscle definition. Also, you have some large glaringly white areas. I would darken these areas and only use the white for smaller highlights.

Also, you have some extreme muscle definition on the cloth areas. Even the tightest spandex on the biggest bodybuilder won't show much muscle definition at all. Instead, you'll only see softer curves and, ofcourse, folds.

Furthermore, you can see some black showing along the middle face seam, so you'll need to paint the face a little further over the edge of your UV. I also think the mouth area is quite unclear, I would try to clean that up a little.

Lastly, the lines painted on her body seem to wobble and skew a bit. You may be able to get better results by straightening out the UVs in these areas. Ideally, if you paint a straight line across a limb on the texture, it comes out straight across the limb on the model as well.

Here's my suggestions in the form of a paint-over anim:

ferox_example.gif
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update woooh! My first time painting armor, its really coming along quite well i think :P

kmanprogress8.png

EDIT:

I'm calling him finished! Time to make his sword and accessories!

cendahfb3.png

EDIT: BRIGHTER!
    cendahb2.png
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking hot Indecom. Post up some flats ;)
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Maximum spec
    2k tris
    512 x 512 texture space (total)
    No normal maps

Basicly the type of models found in older games, Q3, KOTOR, NWN etc etc.

I have to take a bit of issue with the title of this thread and your examples of 'old school' games. No, I'm not going to say Doom 2 is old school. Your examples leave you with a a rather wide spectrum here. Quake 3 models were generally around 800 tris, and NWN was somewhat the same, as far as I know, if only due to NWN having terrible segmented player models (it's a bad example of what you should be aiming for), so KOTOR definitely doesn't fit in here. Not only was it released a good four or so years after Q3, but it has significantly more detailed models than the previous two titles.

So if you're going for old school and your idea is Q3/NWN, your limit ought to be roughly 1000, not 2000. Granted, there were models that went well over the average (Dragon Rider is a good example we were talking about in #md), but those were not really all that good for playing with. They often slowed the game down quite a bit and weren't used all that much for actual play.

In addition to this, texture sizes were definitely not at 512x512 for Q3 until quite a while after it was released and I highly doubt they were 512 for Neverwinter either, again given that the player models were fairly low detail. I'd guess that KOTOR is the only one using 512x512 textures for characters, and possibly multiple 512x512 textures.

So, the only thing I'd suggest is you pin down your era, 'cause you've got a good gap in time there, and your rules certainly aren't fitting the two less-detailed games you mention.

Rambling concluded, GOOD DAY SIR.

Seriously, I do not know this is as long as it is.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you got some nice texturing going there, Indecom. Only thing I'd think about is changing the back apron thinger whatever it is. Looks odd due to the mirroring. Also, you should use a different texture overlay for the cloth. It looks like stone at the moment.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did someone order some flats? lol. My first time doing armor, crits are welcome and helpful, This may not be after i brightened it up a bit.

Cendah.png
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice and clean indecom.

Noel, I see what you are saying but those were just examples of what types of games conform to the idea of the thread, maybe I should have said pre "nexgen" ie. No normal maps and advanced shaders etc. Good old diffuse only texture work where the texture carried the piece. I deliberately set the limits a little on the high side seeing as a lot of the greener artists find it hard to make this kind of stuff under around 2k tris and I wanted the thread to be open to anyone.

I intended this to be kinda like the next step from the lp thread.
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    This is not old school, old school if we are talking about games would be sprites, if we are talking about 3D then we are in the max 300 tris range (Quake 1 , tomb raider) old school is from the first time it happened, and not the first time you learned about it.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So post some pixel art! :poly142:

All kidding aside, what would you suggest as a good title for a thread with semi-low specs like these? :)
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Xaltar: I figure if you're going to set a limit for the 'green' guys, you may as well set it within the confines of a specific period, like Quake 3's, rather than going "oh but that might be too difficult, let's pad it a bit for their sake." No offense, but fuck that, give them the real limits and let them do something challenging, otherwise you're just telling them to do the same old thing.

DP: "Average thread"? Not to say the work is bad, but these are all normal models within normal limits. Normal maps might be common today, but there are still a lot of limited systems out there that can't do them, and as such this is still very much regular work.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well personally I'm fine with the current title, but Alphawolf apparently isn't. :\
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, its just a thread title guys, either post work or don't, no need to debate the title for pages on end. Oldschool is a debateable term, depending on how long you have been on the scene it could mean any number of periods and specs. Hence why I posted a fairly broad list of examples to pin down the style. All the models posted in here so far fit within a certain style of art, much like the lowpoly thread, these specs lend themselves to specific skillsets.

All I wanted was to make a thread that will accomodate the the work that keeps getting posted in the LP thread but does not meet the spec restrictions there. You will notice that there have been comments on the number of polys in Cholden's SDK, if someone posts a model that has more polys than it needs they will always be called up for it, this is polycount afterall.

Note, I said maximum spec NOT "model according to these limits". In other words, anything less than 2k tris and a 512 sheet is acceptable in the thread, how well you use your polys and sheet is still going to face criticisim if its a poorly constructed model with bad UVs. If an artist can't set themselves realistic and challenging limits then they really have no business posting on these boards. This is a place to showcase semi LP work and get feedback on it, nothing more. I noticed that threads started with this sort of spec work tend not to get to many replies, this way people can post it all in one thread rather than spamming new threads everywhere and possibly learn a little looking at the rest of the models posted within the same sort of specs they have used.

omg, wall of text.....

[edit] I would rename the thread but I have no way to do so. Maybe something like "low spec work" seeing as it is low for current gen games.
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    current gen and next gen are misspells ;o

BTW I will post some of my psp'ish texture work here :]
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi:
    omg not that debate again! ;)

Indecom:
    Man that is great lighting. <3 love hwo you have handled the highlights!

cholden:
    I am aware that you can change the sdk in whatever way :)
    it was all in good humor.
    thanks again :)

DP:
    I am i your debt. Thank you very much for the paintover. I definitely see why you did those changes.
    About the texture changes,I must have been lost in the principle ive engraved in my mind that "put contrast in the texture, have crisp detail,etc"
    About the proportions, i have changed them as you suggested and i think it looks loads better! :) i guess i shouldnt have stuck to the modelsheet that hard :)
    Thanks again! You are definitely one of the most helpful people around here!

So, now that im fully satisfied with this project, here is the last image you will see of her ;)
    thum.jpg
    And diff. shots and flats here for people interested
    AND also, i think i deserve to show a bigger image of my marine X)
    large.jpg
    kthnkzbai
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sort of a repimp but now here in SDK form, and is relevant to the specs (792 triangles)
    sucsdk.jpg
    Get 'er

my crappy skin attempt (256x256, it's for a strict 8bit color palette)
    sucsdk2.jpg

She is for Haktoria and not openarena so I get to get away with nudity :))))) oh and incase I remove it from my sig in the future,
    OA sdks

</shamelessselfpromotion>
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah i didnt see your suggestions there Noel. I might go in and make those small changes today in a bit. Glad everyone likes my extremely experimental attempt at armor :P
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think that armor is great Indecom. Very metallic. Nice shapes and I dig the glowing eyes (with light hitting the lid).