Home General Discussion

How do I trace someone downloading illegalz?

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
So someone has been downloading games where I work, and now C&C3 is the latest. I am teh unofficial IT guy (not sure how this came to be) and the boss mans are getting on my case about it. ESA sent a letter to our ISP and they be pissed. They need to know if we're working to resolve this matter.

Given a recession and all they can't wait to fire the guy doing it too.

I went around to each computer after hours with the admin login and I could not find a bit torrent client installed, so whoever is doing it is covering their tracks fairly well.

Anywho, everyone within the company broadcasts the same IP address. All I know is that the protocol used was torrent of course. Just wondering if any of you smart fellas know of a tracing program or something?

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    er... they might broadcast the same ip, but as a network administrator (i'm assuming you are), you would certainly be able to see which machine is chomping what amount of bandwith, and at what times.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    He's not a real network admin. At least that's what I gathered by "teh unofficial IT guy".

Use scare tactics and remind people that pirating at work will lead to dismissal. If they don't just want it to stop, but want to use it as an excuse to fire someone. Anyone. Then I'll just say "tough luck" and let someone else help you :P
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    if it's already done and you don't have any logs, does the ISP have the MAC Address of the PC that's been doing the abuse? If so, just look at the ip listing and match the mac address.. O_o There might be an easier way.. i"ve been out of IT for abit..

You can usually log into your router or even go machine to machine to double check the mac addresses once you get it from the ISP. I'd be pretty sure they could give it to you.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    h4x0rz his megahurtz
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it was 1.7GB that was downloaded. I would check for that but the network and routers set up are not very robust. The 192.168.1.xxx always changes with each user every day.

I guess that is a no-go huh? I was hoping I could install some sort of spyware on everyones computer and then I could log in from a master. Then my best shot is to hope whoever is doing it tries one more time...

EDIT: Nope no MAC address was given.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    the ip address is not the same as the mac address, the mac address is a hard coded alpha numeric number attached to the NIC card. It doesnt change like an IP does.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sort of with East... recommend to the boss the fear of termination. Let them know that you're aware of bit torrent usage and if caught, you'll be terminated.
    The thing is, do you know for sure they are doing illegal downloads? Remind your boss of that. How do you know that they are playing the games? Even further, why to you assume they were illegally downloaded. I've taken games into work, and me and my coworkers played them during lunch.

Anyway, enough preaching. Something to keep in mind, bit torrent programs can be loaded onto a memory stick, so searching the computers probably is useless. You need to check IP traffic like gir mentioned. If you don't have access to that kind of info, tell the boss it's his problem. If it's a small network (where you only have a router, no server), then see if there is software that can be installed onto the client machines, that will track bandwidth usage.

Edit: damn, slow post. You can assign static IPs to each machine if you want. That's a big task though, if it's a big network.... who knows, maybe it's your boss doing the downloads ;)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    the ip address is not the same as the mac address, the mac address is a hard coded alpha numeric number attached to the NIC card. It doesnt change like an IP does.

hehe...yep I know what a mac address is. I blocked my neighbor at home a long time ago once.

Enventis didn't provide anything except 1.7GB, protocol = torrent, & the company IP address.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Edit: damn, slow post. You can assign static IPs to each machine if you want. That's a big task though, if it's a big network.... who knows, maybe it's your boss doing the downloads ;)

I considered that. The last time we tried that we screwed with the remote desktop everyone uses and the accounting and purchasing software.

I might just have to hire someone from the outside. Was sort of hoping I could've found the culprit myself.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Don't install spyware, fuck with other people's shit. It'll just make you out as a sycophant asshole that nobody will want to associate with, and any favor you did for the bosses will be largely diminished by whatever your coworkers say about you afterwards.

Just go with what East said.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If I understand correctly, the fact that games are being downloaded is the least important part of the deal - legally or not. I would think that using BT (for whatever purpose) is way more critical since it allows incoming connections hence possible leaks aso?

Anyways I'm of no help on this issue, sorry for a very un-constructive post! :P
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This might be a solution, try to recover any deleted files with .torrent, as far as I know you can always find lost data unless a special eraser tool has been used to cover traces by overwriting the file/s with 0's, several times. It's possible that has been done but not very likely.
    Edit - forgot that data as large as that could be put onto a memory stick, so yeah, it may be a long hunt with no outcome.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's possible to download .torrent files without a bittorrent client.

I know Opera has a built-in torrent client. Might want to check for that (and do a bit of searching for other apps that do the same).
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    If you haven't been monitoring and logging activity in the past, and he was d/ling to an external drive or something, you won't be able to track what's already been downloaded.

In the future, you have a few options. The most effective would be to set up your server to log everything, but that can be a pain. An easier but less reliable approach would be to just install some sort of network monitor app on each machine (something like NetMeter) to record download volume. It won't tell you what's been downloaded to a machine, but it will tell you how much. If you can install a monitor on all of the machines, and check it each night or so, you'll be able to see who is pulling down huge 1.7gb files files, regardless of where they're stored. Lots of freeware apps to do this, too, but you'll need to spend time installing it...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    There are companies out there that are like vultures, they wait for the smell of pirated software coming from a small business and then they attack. So button that shit up quickly!

I worked at a place that got audited and it suuuuuuuucked, you practically need a DNA sample from the salesman you bought the software from to prove you own it.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vermilion wrote: »
    In the future, you have a few options. The most effective would be to set up your server to log everything, but that can be a pain. An easier but less reliable approach would be to just install some sort of network monitor app on each machine (something like NetMeter) to record download volume. It won't tell you what's been downloaded to a machine, but it will tell you how much. If you can install a monitor on all of the machines, and check it each night or so, you'll be able to see who is pulling down huge 1.7gb files files, regardless of where they're stored. Lots of freeware apps to do this, too, but you'll need to spend time installing it...

That sounds like the best I can hope for at the moment with the limited resources at my disposal. Thanks I'll give it a try. Hopefully I can catch the PC grabbing tons of data before the ISP does. Then I'll see if I can "undelete" the .torrent from said offender.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why not just block out the ports and see how long it takes until Mr. X asks why he can't connect to his Bay anymore?

oh and if you have a wlan access in your office you may also check what the kids in the playground are doing (I used to search for open wlan spots when I was on vacation with parents back in the day)...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    This might be a stupid idea, but don't believe it was mentioned, just try a windows search on the network and see who has the files or any torrents?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    How about offer someone one week off, paid vacation, if they rat-out whoever's doing it.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pro tip: pin it on someone you dont like

easy.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.wireshark.org/

All you need to know is what your machine calls your network devices, so ipconfig will help here, the interface has tootips on mouseover.

for the solution of what IP is who, I'd turn on name resolution, which is view->name resolution -> network layer. so instead of seeing just IPs, you can get what they call their computer.

From here, you just look for trackers, which are pretty easy to spot by name, and it does NAT, so you'll see like dest=tracker.thepiratebay.org src=192.168.1.104 for example. Then, you can find out who uses 104 through a variety of ways, either using routing tables or nmap the MAC and compare to hardware, or just see whos network shares they are.

It won't be like "ZOMG, SOMEONE IZ TORRENTZ0r!" but you can identify where their packets are going/coming from, and its pretty easy to spot a torrent tracker, and figure out who its going to.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Figuring out something like this is actually very easy, but I'm not going to go through with telling you because I think it's a poor solution to a problem.

You should just tell everyone, "listen, I don't know who is downloading shit, but stop it. If it continues, we'll have to monitor everyone's traffic and you will probably be fired." That will solve the problem because the guy will stop downloading, and if he doesn't his friends who know about it will make him stop so they can still watch pr0n at work.

Don't get some guy fired just because he downloaded a game. You don't even know if he owned a copy & lost the disc, if he owns a copy but didn't have the CDs at work, etc.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    How do I trace someone downloading illegalz?
    Old school.

With chalk while they lie motionless on the pavement.

copyfloppybz9.gif
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    If on XP try looking in

C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data

uTorrent stores a copy of the downloaded torrents there, perhaps other clients as well.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    But most of you guys are out to hang him and possibly screw up his entire life over of a paltry few minutes worth of download. How does it feel to be completely without heart, soul and compassion? Do you even have any justifiable reason to continue living?
    What thread are you reading? :\
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    whooaaa this is coming from per?
    I'm on board with the whole have-a-meeting about it and just let them know whatsup and to cut the shit out or else kinda deal.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    sonic wrote: »
    Figuring out something like this is actually very easy, but I'm not going to go through with telling you because I think it's a poor solution to a problem.

You should just tell everyone, "listen, I don't know who is downloading shit, but stop it. If it continues, we'll have to monitor everyone's traffic and you will probably be fired." That will solve the problem because the guy will stop downloading, and if he doesn't his friends who know about it will make him stop so they can still watch pr0n at work.

Don't get some guy fired just because he downloaded a game. You don't even know if he owned a copy & lost the disc, if he owns a copy but didn't have the CDs at work, etc.

I agree with sonic, if i downloaded a game at work at some punk ratted me out to the boss , id not only be pissed but things like this don't go away.

your coworkers wont trust you and everyone will make fun of how much a little snitch you are behind your back and in a worse case scenario to your face.

I would just warn everyone and don't say it like your warning them but tell them the management is saying it so you don't look like a corporate slave :P
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Just setup a meeting and play them the most effective scare tactic there is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xfqkdh5Js4[/ame]
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Psyk0 wrote: »
    Just setup a meeting and play them the most effective scare tactic there is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xfqkdh5Js4

I would threaten to play that over the PA system every single day if the dl-ing didn't stop posthaste.

Whether the person is found and fired or not, I think your company needs to have a meeting about this so it's clearly outlined that this kind of behavior isn't tolerated.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    This kid probably doesn't think that what he's doing is a big deal, and if a policy was made clear, he'd never pirate from work again.

Actually a bulletin was posted already because our ISP caught someone downloading movies before. So whoever is doing it should already know not to. The warning thing has been tried a couple times already. We either find who it is or we cut all net access for everyone.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you should talk to your boss bout contracting someone to secure your network.

I'm no expert on bandwidth costs since the company I was an IT guy at ran their own ISP which put a buffer between me and that stuff... BUT you guys might be able to save money by blocking bandwidth hogs like P2P software and streaming music/video.
  • [Deleted User]
    Put all the employees in a locked room with a revolver with a single round in it on the table. Tell them that if the pirate in question is not dead in 10 minutes you will release sarin gas into the room.

Might want to clear it with management first, though.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Put all the employees in a locked room with a revolver with a single round in it on the table. Tell them that if the pirate in question is not dead in 10 minutes you will release sarin gas into the room.

Might want to clear it with management first, though.

im arman and i approve this message :thumbup: