Pencilninja polycounter lvl 10
1224492277_jSnt4YQlKH.jpg
1228241925_ZOmiHJecIW.jpg
1228242493_N9P45VhUI0.jpg

Concept - Model - Texture

Comments, crits.ect welcome!

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    Don't shade and highlight with black and white!!!

It will result with the texture being really dull and makes everything look like the same material but with diffirent color. If we take the skin for example, you want to do like brown>orange>yellow>white. (Well, not exactly but I hope you know what I mean!)

Give the texture some color variation. Some areas of the skin are a bit darker and saturated (knuckles, elbows, knees etc). You can also add some imperfections like veins, pores, moles.

The hair looks like a wig. The reason is because all the hair is the same color.
    Bobo the seal has a great tutorial for it here http://www.bobotheseal.com/extras.htm

I think you need to check some more references especially for the face since some of the proportions and shapes are a bit off.

I hope it doesn't sound to harsh or get you disencouraged but I believe that you will improve more that way.

Good luck!
  • Pencilninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, roger that.
    *goes back to drawing board*
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    also look at some female reff, your proportions look very masculine, particularly the arms. The face could also be a little more femanine.

Good start though.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    corv wrote: »
    Don't shade and highlight with black and white!!!

I agree, but if done properly...you can achieve wonderful results....

Thanks Adi

3dcontent.lcc.gatech.edu/zip/digitalPainting.doc
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug: what?
    Adi granov doesn't shade with black and white. In that tutorial, he does a greyscale sketch and uses colour overlays.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ...and you can tell.

nothing beats actually using color
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Spug: what?
    Adi granov doesn't shade with black and white. In that tutorial, he does a greyscale sketch and uses colour overlays.

@ MP:

So wait, Adi Granov does not start by using a "BLACK AND WHITE" image???????? From what I am seeing, that is exactly what he uses.

I agree, do not use strictly black and white to achieve highs and lows, but use this technique and you will achieve good results.

Say if Pencilninja would start off by making a "Greyscale Sketch", like Adi Granov. Then, when it is at a satisfactory level, he could go in and use "Color Overlays" to achieve a nice gradiation and roundness to the character, with that "Greyscale" painting if you will. What I am trying to prove is that some artists have totally different work flows, and I think Adi Granov might know a couple good ones....maybe...meh....maybe

So as I said before, Pencilninja, the method of painting a "Greyscale" image is a good way to get your stuff going. After that, you can go back in and add in a lot of differnt color variations, and tweak it to your standards. This is how i started out learning how to manipulate things in Photohut. Although now, I use strictly color, nothing else.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh work out the light in greyscale. You can always add more and more color depending on the result you want.

anyone try using a gradient overlay on the BW?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    wow what a convoluted conversation
    spug i think you're trying to prove a point when it's not really helping or applicable.

I believe what corv was trying to say is it looks like the highlights and shadows are too desaturated. Skin tones dont simply go to black when they get dark, there's hue and saturation shifts, this is the same for going light.

This looks like it's happening on all of your materials, the shading is you have looks like just changes in value, simply getting brighter or darker.

spug somehow turned it into a conversation of if you should draw a b&W sketch before you paint
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    @Jordan,

No no no, you are confusing what I said, I was saying look at what he does...and apply it to your work. Working in a greyscale manner is not a bad thing at all. For a artist like Pencilninja, it could/would help him understand value, and depth. That is all I am saying...take bits and pieces from the Adi Granov Tutorial, and APPLY it in your own workflow.
  • Pencilninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I see what he's saying.

Personally, I've really taking to the greyscale painting method. It's netted me some nice results over my old texture work. I see what I did wrong here, I usually paint over the grey scale for detail work and dark shadows using colors and shades. The problem here is that I was still using a black to darken stuff.
    Which is why I just can't go to the original layer and turn the black into a dark saturated brown.

It's not a bad technique, I just need to cotninue to refine my workflow.