Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lufia (Female archer)

I think its about time to post my latest 3d project.

Lufia was the concept i had for DM3, but i never got past the start i made.

Ive been tweaking for some time now.
The overal shape is there, but she still looks really weird.
Trying to go into more details now that i have the basics down.

fl = focallenght (zbrush)

lufia.jpg

The basemesh has more polys around the face, this is because my pc doesnt like more then 6 subdivides, and i wanted more polys around there so this was my cheap solution.

Replies

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Neck too long, chest too narrow. Otherwise very good.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Rens, you've got an awesome style.

Chest is just too narrow, though -- even if you just add a hint more shape to the ribs, you need SOMETHING. they look collapsed as is.

Personally i'd say ->
    -add shape to the ribs, why are a girl that small's pectoral muscles wider than her ribs?
    -Widen the colar/shoulders, just dont bulk up the musclature on the shoulders at all.

She'll still look incredibly slight like you're going for, but less like she has some kind of birth defect.

Hips/legs/waist are gold though man, except for just going a bit too far on the upper body the figure is awesome.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's more of an unhealthy shape that you would associate with being overweight although she does seem trim, maybe that's the problem? I think the groin could be less wide and if she is to be an archer, thicker forearms, triceps and biceps for the bow pulling power and maybe give her an african look. I think there are still quite a few native African women who do this as a part of daily life.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I don't think the neck is too long, but the head is too small which makes the neck appear longer then it really is.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i actually dig the proportions, they don't look like, fantastically unnatural to my eye, maybe a little bit exagerrated but passable. and lolpubes
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I like the twist on the proportions, the way the body tapers upwards. If you decide to keep it, I think the final result will be alot different from the norm in a positive way.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some nice shapes in there dude, good stuff.

The overall anatomy strikes me more as being incorrect rather than stylized, although that's just my personal preference. So I'd suggest either pushing the style further or correcting the anatomy more towards something realistic. Here's some rough photoshopping I did towards the latter option...

lufiatweakedkx1.jpg

Some 45 degree angle renders that include the back and sides might help you get more accurate crits too.

Keep at it, this is looking good! :)

[Edited my previous crits, it's more complex than I thought. :)]
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    digging the shape. I actually think the head is too large - not anatomically, but in keeping with the rest of the stylistic proportions
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow bunch of comments already!

Ill take the crits with me, and will try to fix the things you guys mentioned.
    Ill also post some more shots when ive worked things out a bit.

Thanks alot guys! really appreciate it :D
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting natural shapes. Great work. I do believe the neck may be too long. And I'm trying to decide whether the hips are too wide, or if the rib cage isn't wide enough. But depends on the proportions you were intending.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    while these proportions aren't "correct", they still give a pleasing form to the character, I wouldn't change them too much myself, they have a cool style. obviously if you were going for realistic proportions then it's wrong and should be changed, but if you weren't I see no reason to go a more realistic route.
    And while I know the paintover was done with all good intentions, personally i much prefer your original over WhiteEagle's version. He has made the character look too manly and lost some of the original "grace" of the style, I think.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one, Rens. I really like the proportions and the overall shape of your model. Sure its not 100% anatomically correct, but if you were aiming for a stylised shape then you've got a winner as far as I'm concerned.
    If anything, I'd just lower the head slightly, because at the moment its giving the model a bit of an E.T. feel.

-caseyjones
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    MoP wrote: »
    while these proportions aren't "correct", they still give a pleasing form to the character, I wouldn't change them too much myself, they have a cool style. obviously if you were going for realistic proportions then it's wrong and should be changed

That's just it, when you know what looks right although right for you may not be someone else's view so who is to say what is correct?
  • Michael Knubben
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really i wouldn't do much more than simple tweaks at this point, the overall shape is actually very interesting and unique, while it looks sort of "wrong" it is also very cool. So i dig it.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dude i like the style as well, it looks very baroque ie the large odalesque< (google it) but anyways i have a solution for your high poly head on the basemesh. create the lowpoly so it defines the silhouette as u want it in the end, then unwrap it, duplicate it and add your geometry, then import the dulpicate to z brush, the map will output with the same uvs as the low poly u want it applied to, and as long as you dont change the silhouette when you add geometry to the duplicate the map will apply perfectly to the lower res version. again love the style hope the tip will help u :)

-Woog
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I have to agree with the people liking the original. The proportions give her an unique silhouette that really adds interest to the character, even without any clothes or accessories. I do agree with the crit about the neck being a little too long tho..

Good work, can't wait to see where you take this!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiteeagle, gcmp, no. If you know so vastly less about anatomy than the artist who posted why give a stylistic crit?
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm I think I see the problem.

It needs less:

070905_shapely_pear-776051.jpg

And more:

soul-calibur-4.jpg

Hehe, actually I really like the slight off form you have going. The neck looks a little long to me, but thn again women's necks always look long to me.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What does she look like from behind? From the front she could be called interesting and stylised, but the apparent lack of musculature behind the arms might look a bit odd from the rear. Or it might not in which case we'll just be able to ogle her shapely buttocks.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mhaha so many great replies! i wasn't expecting this :D

Ive seen a doc on discovery channel about medieval longbow archers, they could identify the skeletons of those man because the bonestructure in the (for)arms had changed.
    So pimping up the arm might give it a nice twist.

woogity, ill give that a try, see if i can get it to work.

Jack, ill make sure to include a shot of her ass next time ;)

Once again, thanks for the great replies, it really gives me a boost :D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i changed things a bit.
    But instead of keep tweaking id like to move on to the rest of the process.

I tweaked so much that
    1, i need a break,
    2, the basemesh is beginning to turn on me. The polys are spread too much and Id like to start with better proportions next time, better hands and feet, better pose ect ect.

Some parts are left unfinished, but then again, the armor will coverup 80% of the character anyway, so its more of a figure study.

lufia2.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    and what a nice figure it is... :3
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    is there a possibility you can do a closer shot of the face? I cant tell but the lips look like there pinching?

The study seems rather nice, are you going to be touching the hands more or will that be armor as you said?

I know the issues your speaking of about broken base meshes -_- same thing is happening with me and mine, Ive found I tweaked the base mesh more then I sculpted at this point!

overall Im like that proportion/posture of this ALOT!

I hope to see justice done soon!

Also are your sculpting with eyeballs in the eye sockets or no?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Rens: While Im liking this like the others, I am/was NOT a fan of the funky pearshape proportions. To my eye, you had a great sculpt ruined by bad proportions not "infused with interesting style."

Not knowing what sort of armor you're planning on giving her, Im just going to shoot from the hip on anatomy & proportion as I see it.

The proportion tweaks you've made appear to have helped a great deal.
    I still think the waist could/would be a lot narrower in front on a woman who is that thin in profile.

Also, her posterior (butt) seems close but no cigar. Needs to have a stronger profile and protrude just a little more IMO.

I think the interior and exterior areas of the elbow are underdefined a bit.
    Her pinky toe has a giant wart or just some strange blobbyness to the sculpt.

I 2nd Seforin: Closeups of the face pls?

Keep it up! This is one to watch!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is nice, man. Anatomy seems all there for athletic woman, and proportions are cool without striking me as quite so impossible now. Updates!