Home General Discussion

Video Game Artist Salary?

Just out of curiosity. What is the avarage salaray for a 3d Modeler/ Environment Artist/ Animator.. etc.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    There are a couple of game industry salary surveys floating around. You might have better luck with your google search if you spell it right ;)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Certainly you've heard of gamecareerguide ?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Definitely good to start by doing a search, if not by google, then at least a thread search of polycount - it's actually a commonly asked question, so some might get sour seeing yet another topic about it. just lettin ya know.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    also depends on where you live/where the company sets up shop. Cost of living will vary greatly.
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    blood and a little life.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    shit I am on my third weekend in a row....lots and lots of life
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do a search of these forums for salary ... lots of threads, with links to data.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Millions!!
    Really, you guys don't get paid as much as me?
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    wait wait guys! You people get paid???
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all depends on these key factors..

- Company (E.g. EA, Midway etc..)
    - Experience (Of course the more experienced you are the more you will be paid)
    - Position (You can have various ranks like Chief Artist etc..)

So usually it ranges between £30,000 to £60,000

Thats what i've heard anyways, could be wrong.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator

yes. Salaries in the UK don't start at 30k, it's more like 18-22k for an entry level position. Top whack for ADs can be whatever, but i've never met a non-director artist on more than 50k.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    It all depends on these key factors..

- Company (E.g. EA, Midway etc..)
    - Experience (Of course the more experienced you are the more you will be paid)
    - Position (You can have various ranks like Chief Artist etc..)

So usually it ranges between £30,000 to £60,000

Also another factor: LOCATION
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Here's just a few links to posts on Polycount using "salary" as the search term.

income question
    Game Artist salaries in LA?
    Average industry income?
    How much do you earn?
    2007 Game developers salary survery (GamaSutra)
    how's the salary for artists??
    Starting pay for entry level jobs in the industry?

The threads are listed from date posted, so the bottom ones are older than the top, so some of the information may not be 100% accurate. But it should definitely give you a good starting point.

-caseyjones
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You will be rich working in videogames, you could buy a ferrari!, and a 99% of piracy won't suposse nothing bad LOL

Jokes apart, it's like another job, very bad paid if you work in the wrong place.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    just wen't through my taxes for 2007 and i'm not broke \o/
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Can we sticky this thread or make a sticky thread about salaries? Seems like it is asked every other month. Or these people who ask can just type "game artist salaries" in google, tends to get the right results!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    konstruct wrote: »

With or without bonus(es)? :poly136:

6 figures is actually also possible in the form of severance pay & cashing in your stocks, if one sticks with a fairly successful studio long enough to get "the package".
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering about this the other day and seems relevant to this topic. I heard that some studios used to give bonuses (not sure if that is the correct term) for every game sold e.g. £1 per disc to the team which was then split between everyone after a period of time or if sales hit a target.

Does that still happen these days, or have I misunderstood what I was told?

p.s. the £1 per disc is just a figure I picked from my head lol.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    $3k and over depending on where you live, experience, project, company, and the day of the week. It's too vague to give a specific number for this position.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    You know what, if salary is a primary concern for you maybe you should think about doing something else for a living.

Will you make enough $ to pay your mortgage / rent, support your family, have cable, internet, etc.? YES.

Will you ever be "rich?" Probably not.

When your alarm goes off, will you ever have to decide whether or not you would rather blow your head off than face another daily grind? Probably not.

If this is your passion, and what you really want to do then go for it. Otherwise, bugger off. You'll only be just another burden on the industry.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what, if salary is a primary concern for you maybe you should think about doing something else for a living.

Will you make enough $ to pay your mortgage / rent, support your family, have cable, internet, etc.? YES.

When your alarm goes off, will you ever have to decide whether or not you would rather blow your head off than face another daily grind? Probably not.

If this is your passion, and what you really want to do then go for it. Otherwise, bugger off. You'll only be just another burden on the industry.

Dude, no BS to anyone out there, I would take a job at a company making minimum wage!!! Let's sweeten this deal. You would not even have to give me a full 40 hour work week...That would make you not have to offer me benefits! I would be your coffee and donuts bitch, if the company did not mind teaching me the ways...I don't care, I just want to learn the process and have a skill set to give myself a better career in this industry.

Also, my wife already told me I could make minimum wage and she would be happy as long as I am contributing. :poly124: She has been carrying me through college. I love my wife! :)
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hmm thats what i have been thinking.
    I mean i could take product designing for industrial design. And they make a lot of money. But i would love this job. Has any1 heard of people that trnasfer from the game industry to the movie industry. Wouldnt they get more money then?
    carlo_c wrote: »
    I was wondering about this the other day and seems relevant to this topic. I heard that some studios used to give bonuses (not sure if that is the correct term) for every game sold e.g. £1 per disc to the team which was then split between everyone after a period of time or if sales hit a target.

Does that still happen these days, or have I misunderstood what I was told?

p.s. the £1 per disc is just a figure I picked from my head lol.

That would be very good. Even if it with 10 cents per disc sold.. If you sold 100,000 copies in the first week. thats already 10k added too ur paychek.
    And even if they did do that, would they even it with the whole team?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17

I like my job. I like games. I like everything about it but I´d say that this job can be just as much of a grind as any other jobs. No? Go make me some freaking rocks for the next five months then and then some LOD´s and collision meshes.

Salary is just as important as having a nice job IMO. You need to be able to have a nice and comfortable life outside of work aswell. What if you got a family etc? Life is more than work. GRANTED! I´d certainly choose this job versus a more boring one even if i gained less money.

I see it as a job. A very fun job sure but still a job and I´d prefer if I didn´t get exploited by my studio. I guess im just a burden to the industry ;)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I like my job. I like games. I like everything about it but I´d say that this job can be just as much of a grind as any other jobs. No?

No ... we still get to sit on our asses and make game for a living ... not that we don't deserve to be compensated for our expertise and talent, but, at the end of the day, we don't dig ditches or empty trash containers for a living, do we?

Go make me some freaking rocks for the next five months then and then some LOD´s and collision meshes.

Been there, done that. It still beats working in an actual rock quarry, don't it?
    Salary is just as important as having a nice job IMO. You need to be able to have a nice and comfortable life outside of work aswell. What if you got a family etc? Life is more than work. GRANTED! I´d certainly choose this job versus a more boring one even if i gained less money.

I see it as a job. A very fun job sure but still a job and I´d prefer if I didn´t get exploited by my studio. I guess im just a burden to the industry ;)

I absolutely, 100% agree with you. It's just that ...I have seen so many "kids," who have landed their first actual, real life job in this industry take it for granted ... anyone who knows me will tell you that I am one of the first to speak out when I feel that we, as game industry employees, are being abused / taken for granted. But, at the same time, let all of us who have made it this far stop and smell the roses. We are all damn lucky to be as gifted and talented as we are to be working in this industry. Do we all deserve to be paid top dollar? ABSOLUTELY! But let us never forget that there are people who make far much less, for doing much harder labor. We all deserve to be well compensated for our talents, but let none of us ever take it for granted.