Home General Discussion

What can this forum help me as a student?

Hi I'm just asking what this commuinity do for me as a student that aims to be in the video agem industry as an artist?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, good question.

Fellas?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    post some of your work in the 'pimping and previews' section of this site. and people will reply with critiques of your work. welcome.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    joining a forum is the smartest move you can make right now.. What you'll get is constructive criticism, a boot up the arse when needed, and encouragement. Most importantly, you'll be comparing yourself to professionals and not just your classmates, which should be a real motivator- you will have some false ideas if all you see is other student's work, no matter how great it is..

welcome to polycount :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ohhhh sales pitch time!

Polycount offers a large number of professionals that post on a regular basis. Here you can also find great tutorials, work flow tips, and reference materials in Technical Talk section. Posting your art in the Pimping and Previews section will get you some of the best critiques you can find on any game art forum. We don't hold back punches we will tell you exactly whats wrong with your work and what is working. Studying other peoples posts in the Pimping and Previews section can give new incite into how other people do things that may save you weeks of work. In general polycount is a just a great place to hang out and learn from great people.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I also seriously recommend going through the search function for past pimp and previews, great stuff all around.

And yes, start posting your work.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Ask not what Polycount can do for you, but what can YOU do for Polycount!
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the replies u guys.
    ill definetly be posting my works here to try to improve myself.
    ill be graduating soon and planning to go to AI for 3d modelling/animation.
    One of my questions is should i try to learn how to use MAYA or Zbrush ,etc..(I'm already experienced in Photosop) or should i just improve my drawing skills since They'll teach me how to do use those programs.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    edit: misinterpreted the question;
    I would start checking out the programs first, so you have a bit of a head start when you come to learn them in a course
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    edit: misinterpreted the question;
    I would start checking out the programs first, so you have a bit of a head start when you come to learn them in a course

Hmmm.
    But wouldnt you agree that having a better drawing skill is better than a little skil in using programs.. cuz isnt that the point of the school?
    Well u suggest to get a headstart. So if i wasnt to start learning those programs earlier(before going to school), i would have trouble udnderstanding or keeping up with the class?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey dude, welcome to Polycount.
    Stick around here while studying, because it'll feel like you're doing two courses at once. Only the stuff you learn at Polycount will be more relevant! :D
    If you know what programs you'll be using in your course, I would suggest having access to those programs at home. It will be very beneficial for you because you can take your work home, or you can experiment with the things you've learned that day.
    But if you don't pick them up and start learning them before your course begins, you will not fall behind or have trouble understanding them. You should be taught how to use everything from the start, well you'll be taught the basics at the very least.
    Good luck, mate and I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your work.

-caseyjones
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount is going to be the ever-so-nagging voice inside of your head that continuously tells you "YOU MUST GO ON, YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CAN GET BETTER" when your mind is telling yourself... you can't.

Stick with Polycount for you will be a better artist and person for it :)

Welcome!
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caseyjones wrote: »
    Hey dude, welcome to Polycount.
    Stick around here while studying, because it'll feel like you're doing two courses at once. Only the stuff you learn at Polycount will be more relevant! :D
    If you know what programs you'll be using in your course, I would suggest having access to those programs at home. It will be very beneficial for you because you can take your work home, or you can experiment with the things you've learned that day.
    But if you don't pick them up and start learning them before your course begins, you will not fall behind or have trouble understanding them. You should be taught how to use everything from the start, well you'll be taught the basics at the very least.
    Good luck, mate and I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your work.

-caseyjones

Yeah I actually tried learn Maya and 3ds Max and Zbrush(zbrush is pretty hard to do w.o a tablet for me). I learn how to do basic shapes and everything but i cant bring my ideas to life. I think the school should cover all that stuff.

Right now my level is pretty low compared to ALOT of people here in Polycon. All i can do is draw for now. I still need know i how to do concept art and how to model them. I cant do concpet art without a tablet. All i can do for now is perfect my anatomy and stay away from anime style.

I jus hope all if this is going to be worth it for my future.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    welcome -my 2 cents

1.Get a tablet

2.Don't expect that any school will cover anything. You will only get out of it what you put in, and if you expect to pass classes at AI and graduate ready for a job, think again. Work hard outside of class, and stick around here to get better.

3.Check these threads out in reference to my school remarks-

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55421&highlight=game+art+school

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56602&highlight=game+art+school
    Dusty wrote: »
    If I could do it all over again I would have never gone to AI. Most of my teachers did not have the faintest clue on making art for games. I learned more coming to sites like this and doing mod work. That said I would NOT discourage anyone from getting a degree. I would highly recommend a school that teaches you to be an artist first and foremost. Learn about color, design, drawing, anatomy...blah blah.
    Welcome to the PC.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    you will become a cockmodeling shogun...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    As long as you don't post in General Discussion, you should do just fine.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    any time you're stuck with some problem with a 3d program, use search and 97% of the time you will find the answer here.

Like today I learnt how crappy the skin modifier was because I noticed 1 extra vertex in my mesh after I finished skinning that somehow appeared when I collapsed symmetry. So I went and deleted that vertex and it messed up all the skin weights, and saving/loading the skin map didnt fix it.
    So I searched here and learnt about Skin Wrap and how easy it was to fix my problem (http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=57606&highlight=skin+delete+vertex)

and btw thanks mop for that step by step guide!

Polycount is my google for game art.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount > Most places

I have learned so much here, and I still have so far to go.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    ask not what your forum can do for you......

seriously, post something in p&p and you'll find out. we will rape your face off.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    hahaa john your last sentence had me LOL.

So ya, hey yuhMEE. Welcome.

Get your work out and in to the eyes of people who can help you (re: us, here at polycount). Take criticism constructively and think about what it is that is being said to you and applying it back in to your work the next time around.

Not to come off as tooting any horns here, but Polycount is notorious for its honesty. Well, its brutal honesty. Not a lot of fluffing or sugar coating here so if something comes off as harsh, take it with a grain of salt and carry on. We'll take care of those who step out of line, although lately its happening less and less.

So, on top of getting your work in front of people and having their thoughts, you should really throw your 2 pennies on the table from time to time and offer up what you think works or doesn't work with others' models/works of art. Besides helping them, you'll in turn be helping yourself as you'll find yourself noticing things about their artwork and the comments you're making that you can turn around and apply to your own stuff.

There's a certain bit of circular logic there that I'm too tired to define, but I hope you understand.

A couple years ago I wrote on a something you may find useful - the important of joining an online community for anyone who aspires to be a 3D game artist. If anything, you reading it will save me the trouble of writing my thoughts out it here, which I was about to... :thumbup: It's called 'Get Involved' and you can download it here.

I will say one thing, though, about game courses & school. I've been to a few schools to talk to students about the industry, creating game art, portfolio reviews. As well, I've done a lot of demo reel reviews of those same students when/if they apply at the company I work for and one thing I can say, which I now say to most students (much to the displeasure of their teachers) is this: Take all of the 3D work you learned in school, during this courses, back it up to a DVD and redo your portfolio completely. Do not apply to schools with this work unless you're looking to start in QA @ EA. Which, after 2 years of school and $30k in debt I doubt is something you're after.

Consider schooling as a great way of learning tidbits of game development and take everything you've learned during the projects you worked on and apply that to a portfolio that doesn't show case your FIRST attempts. That's the key. I can say with confidence that 99% of the artists I know do not showcase their first-time art work and neither should you. So, when you're done school, get the portfolio you made during school in front of professional game artists and get their feedback. Once you've done that, go back to the drawing board and get cracking on a new, well executed, well developed, portfolio that truly showcases your developing skillset.

And above all us - do what you love! We certainly do :)

EDIT: Sorry about the wall of text. It's tired and I just kept writing... d'oh.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Obey the Wiki. It can solve a lot of questions.

Also, trust the vets around here. Most of the time they're right! Hell, that's because they're working in the industry! Jump right in with some artwork in the P&P section, look for feedback and don't ignore it. Don't give up and keep making art!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The question is not what can polycount do for you... EDIT: ahh crap John beat me to it!

On a serious note.

Polycount has been pretty effective at refining talent and giving it a nudge into the professional realm. But keep in mind its you that does all the work, polycount only provides simple course corrections as you go. It will help you guide yourself but won't hand you anything.

We'll be honest about your art, your chances for finding a job and if you'll listen we'll help you make corrections and become a better artist. someone might even give you a heads up about a job opening, but don't bank on it.

There are two types of people that find polycount, those who find it useful and grow, and those who have trouble swallowing honesty and when faced with a little resistance, pack it in and call it a day. The first type fits into the industry and works. This is largely due to the fact that in order to make good games, we all have to be honest with each other and offer suggestions and critiques of other peoples work, it also means taking suggestions and critiques gracefully and successfully.

Those who work well with polycount often work well in the industry, because polycount pretty much operates like the industry does.

You'll find polycount useful if you're the type to dig in and try again until you get it right.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Polycount is one of the only communities that will tell you how it is. If it sucks, you'll be made aware...BUT, you'll be given ideas/tips to make it better. If it's good, you'll be made aware...AND, you'll be given ideas/tips to make it better.

Even if you never post work in P&P, simply looking through pimps, and going through the Technical forum will give you more inspiration and help than you'd get anywhere else.

I was a student of AiP when I found Polycount, and I doubt I'd be employed without it.

Good luck and welcome! (see signature)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing, you're doomed.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    get you a job.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    critics and harsh reality, no fluff that school will pat you on the ass and tell you "thats good"

The people on here are seasoned veterans and fellow students and fellow 3d enthusiasts so if they see you have talent there not afraid to kick you in the ass to get the best out of you.

Watch out for this guy Mightypea though....guys such a douche :p
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    The forum is a nice way off telling you if you suck,nicely mind you as well as pointing you in the direction of non suckage.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Polycount is the reason I'm employed as an artist without getting an art degree.

Open up your head and soak up all the learnin' Read tutorials, look at everyone's stuff, read all the crits that everyone gets on their stuff, and make your own stuff.
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will post some of my sketeches in the "P&P" section. Thanks you guys. Ill definetly stick around trying to improve my skills, listening to every comments. Right now all i can do is sketch.