Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head Model

Hello folks :)

This render below is my first head i've created...

i know its rather strange looking, perhaps proportions aren't right or needs a pair of ears... and a mouth and a good pair of eyes but those will come later..

What does everyone thing? Please give some good suggestions on where to improve rather then just mock it...

Do note, just a model, not for a game or mod so i'm okay with the polycount...

Thanks.

Head_Model_1_by_Kronos9000.jpg

This model is no where near completion, i'm cleaning up those cheeks right now so it should look a bit better

The eyes are temp i'll redo them later... needs a mouth and ears and maybe some hair if i get round to it..

First off...

What needs changing? :)

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Do yourself a favor and read some of the threads here, there are links to countless tutorials. Use them.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's hard to tell from your screenshot, since it doesn't show the wires. Currently, it looks like everything needs changing :/ Are you using a reference? If so, let's see those too.

First things I notice, the head still looks very square. The sides still look flat/smashed. The nose is very wide and has no definition. The mouth opening isn't the right shape and the folds at the corners of the mouth shouldn't extend to the chin like that.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i am using a reference, not much detail but its actually the one from the Joan of Arc tutorial... google it i'm busy modelling lol

Erm good comments and suggestions, for once i can agree... yeah like i said, waaayyy off it being finished, and i could use a tutorial which i did but they don't teach me on how to model, i mean it doesn't model it for me... so its not as easy really..

well i've kicked out the kinks in the cheeks... looks smoother...

I'll definatly restart this head when i've finished it, this time i'll stick to this organic tutorial i'm using, its good.. but this time word for word.. :) Problem is that he supplies me with the model he is using, meaning i'm tempted to not do some of the work.

next the sides... as mentioned by notman. Cheers.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    take off the meshsmooth. It's probably the worst button you can click.

Get your low poly unsmoothed model, keep it in faceted view, and rotate the hell out of it in the viewport. Look at it from every angle. See what edges define the shape as you rotate it. If an edge is doing something "weird" to the shape (and by weird, i mean the stuff at odds to the faces that we as humans spend most of our lives looking at) then tweak it up. I'm not gonna tell you how to tweak it - just click the relevant stuff in your 3d program until it works.

You've tweaked it, does that particular shape look right? Ace, now move onto the next one. Does tweaking that one ruin the shape you've just made look right previously? Right, well, welcome to the world of beginners low-poly modelling. It's a jigsaw puzzle. We've all been there. Keep it at until you're confident that every edge you're changing is going to improve the shape.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers bud, some good advice, and i've taken it full frontal in account :)

I've just decided to restart the head model... :D
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and read some of the threads here, there are links to countless tutorials. Use them.

Agreed
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I had the same problems as you when i first started out. Go to the Joan of arch tut, and get used to strip modeling. Follow the tutorial and try to push yourself, it will pay off.

http://3dtotal.com/
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just a quick hint if you want to Sub_D model a head like this again. It helps to have your reference planes in place along with internal bits like the eye balls and the gums/teeth.
    Freeze/lock these items, and you'll have a much easier time modeling around them and maintaining correct proportions.

Remember, you'll do lots and lots of these heads. Don't get too attached to any one, but take each as far as you can and try to learn something new every time.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Most important thing when it comes to modeling faces are the edge loops.

typically there are 5 major circular edge loops: 2 eyes, mouth, and both ears, and then there are 3 more interesting loops to look at, the loops that form the nose, the jaw line, and (if u plan on animating it) the edge loops that goes from the bridge of the nose to the bottom of the lower lip.

check it bunk_poly_regions.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, edgeloops are mandatory to simulate the facial muscles:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3530/expressgw3.gif

Poly regions by Bunk Timmer:
    polyregions8pchx6.th.jpg

Dont hate the skull! seriously you need to imprint the structure of the skull into your brain so you can represent the planes of the head correctly:
    http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1417/skullow9.jpg

• GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help everyone! These tips will come in handy, especially the skull ref images...

I usually set my ref images up so then they are the viewport backgrounds (locking them into place of course etc... i use the View - Viewport Background)

Is setting them up through planes a better idea? The last time i tried that it was rather inaccurate...
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right after finally not being busy, i have managed to start my head model, i've shown a few friends and other people and they say it looks pretty accurate, however there is the odd vertex that may disrupt the texture (doesn't really effect the model it'self)

Right here it is, statistics aren't important so i'm not showing them...

I have Meshsmoothed it to a Iteration of 1 and used Symmetry

Head_Model_4th_attempt_by_Kronos9000.jpg

I am aware of the vertexs justbelow the nose look a little off so i'm changing it now...

Comments always welcome :)
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    If you want advice on meshflow, show wireframes in a viewport screengrab.

Here's a nice video tutorial to help with the edgeloops:
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v4199970Rcyp2cfj
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Never use meshsmooth/turbosmooth. Learn to use smoothing groups from the start. I know the Joan tuto uses it but its a terrible habbit to get into. Once you actually know what you are doing you can use it for subdiv modeling and hard surface stuff but untill then leave it alone.

Big improvement but still a long way to go. I can see that your surfaces are curved wrong and you have a lot of misaligned geo. Its never a good idea to model purely in ortho views, you need to look at the perspective view and rotate the model to make sure your curves are right.

3d is tough to get started in, it takes a lot of time and determination to get familiar with the tools and techniques, but once you get over the first hump things move much quicker.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) Your suggestions and information helps alot... i keep thinking i'm a bad modeller but to hear "Its getting better" is great to hear! I've added some more like the back of the head but i haven't done the sides yet... i think i managed to sort that flow problem out a bit in my newest render...

Head_Model_6_by_Kronos9000.jpg

I think i have fixed some places, but do tell me where it doesn't seem to flow... i haven't created the nostrels yet so there could be a little change after that...

Eyes haven't been added in, and the top of the head seems nicely rounded off, if too rounded let me know...

Erm i only use Turbosmooth in modelling when i won't actually use it for anything, i know i should get into habit which i have on alot of models but for this one, i'm merely using it to check for errors.

Thanks for the comments :)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    remeber that faces have planes...

heads.jpg

planes.jpg

ignoring them is the surest way to have a head that looks like a gummybear trapped in the microwave. I would not worry about softness at first. Chisle out your form in your base mesh. Always compare your reference with your mesh...Also show your wires, and your base if you want a critique on the actual model
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    hey-o lookin better! although your workflow is gonna give you a headache.

you started in on details right of the bat which is a BIG no no. (well not really a no no, but more of a akward way about doing things. get your general shapes in first, (like the whole head/skull/cranium) shape, then start adding in your details

also show your wires man- JEEZE
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do yourself a favour, and next time you post, make sure you read every comment.
    -Show your wires
    -Don't display your model on a black background
    -Don't use mesh-smoothing at this stage. You first need to be able to just create the shapes you want, before you need to get into subdivision modeling. I think you'd be doing yourself a favour by focussing on polymodeling first and foremost, and using mesh-smoothing to 'check for errors' doesn't work there.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha! Sorry folks, i forgot to print screen insted... here it is :)

Head_Model_Wires_by_Kronos9000.jpg

I haven't touched it since my last post really... just haven't found the time...

Thanks for the help everyone... greatly appreiciated.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    how to fix the dumb shadows around the nose:
    blehcm1.jpg
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    how to fix the dumb shadows around the nose:
    blehcm1.jpg

What so remove those vertexs to make a circle effect by the nose??

Hmm, i'll give it ago! Thank you!!! :D
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm that little idea or fact you gave me didn't work... i dunno... i'll crack at it a little bit longer

Thanks again :)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    didn't work for what? Take the fucking meshsmooth OFF
  • PerfectXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out http://3dtotal.com and look at the tutorials. This is a good place to start although I recommend you continue searching for other site's with tutorials as well. There are tons of them out there.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    you want to kinda create rings around each eye, then ring around the nose, ring around the mouth

then a governing ring around the nose and mouth rings
    then a governing ring around all previously mentioned rings which will form the actual shape of the head.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    didn't work for what? Take the fucking meshsmooth OFF

Dude chill, i'm not using meshsmooth now... i found out that SmoothingGroups does the same effect...

Ring around the Nose?... I've got them round the eyes and mouth so thats fine...

Okay i'll see what i can do...

I have been using 3dtotal quite alot but i seems there is more out there that i haven't stumbled across...

Thanks again everyone ;) I really appreiciate the help. :poly142:
  • JBB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBB
    Dude chill, i'm not using meshsmooth now... i found out that SmoothingGroups does the same effect...

Ring around the Nose?... I've got them round the eyes and mouth so thats fine...

Okay i'll see what i can do...

I have been using 3dtotal quite alot but i seems there is more out there that i haven't stumbled across...

Thanks again everyone ;) I really appreiciate the help. :poly142:

Just becuase you've got a ring around the mouth and eyes doesn't mean you don't need a ring around the nose aswell :/